What's the most memorable HR you have ever seen in person?

TCAlumni9700

Actually something else just came to mind that I had forgotten all about. I remember sometime early in the summer in 97...we had to set up the field for early BP, and someone had brought an aluminum bat and golf balls....Luis Polonia started peppering the Warehouse with the golf balls, then Raffy came up and proceeded to clear the warehouse a few times.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Manny Ramirez's 500th Home run. I called the home run. Chad Bradford was called from the pen and he never gives up home runs because of his submarine pitching, but I could just feel that this was Manny's time so I told all my friends "this is it Manny is going to hit his 500th" and the very next pitch he did!

Ditto on that. Probably the most historically significant homer I've seen in person.

I was working at the Devereaux game in '89, but that wasn't one of the first two that popped in my head when I read the thread title.

#1 - Sunday, August 8, 1982 @ Memorial Stadium...a few weeks before my 12th birthday. The O's blew a 6-2 lead to the Royals and entered the bottom of the ninth with the score tied 6-6. KC's Mike Armstrong committed a balk after Orioles reached on a one-out error and walk, then intentionally walked rookie Cal Ripken, Jr to load the bases. As I recall, a wild argument took place with Royals skipper Dick Howser getting ejected. When play resumed, Terry Crowley came up to pinch-hit and walloped a walkoff grand slam. (I'd attended the Crow's baseball school for two straight summers, and it proved to be his last big league home run)

#2 - September 20, 2005 @ Yankee Stadium. John Maine started for the Orioles, and Baltimore trailed 9-3 by the end of the second inning. The O's fought back within 10-7 by the last half of the eighth, but the Yankees added one more on an absolute bomb off Jorge Julio smacked by Alex Rodriguez. I mean - it seemed like he barely swung & the ball wound up in the right-field upper deck! I couldn't believe what I'd seen. It was such a big deal when a lefty clobbered a ball there in my childhood, but this was an opposite field poke when the guy didn't seem to hit the ball that squarely. (Insert PED's crack here)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQmy5cUrH5A&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQmy5cUrH5A&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I don't remember any HRs, but the last game I went to had the most memorable non-HR. A-Rod was at 499 HRs, looking for his 500th, and every time he swung the bat, camera flashes just went off EVERYWHERE. Fortunately, that 500th HR wasn't given up at Camden Yards. I don't think I could have taken it to see all those Yankees fans going crazy for him. And that includes my dad, who is a Yankees fan.

Most historically significant was Manny's 500th. I was telling all the Boston fans to sit down and shut up, Bradford doesn't give up homers to righties.....maybe I jynxed him?

My favorites:

1- Cal 2131, for sure

2- Hoiles' walk-off Grand Slam against Seattle, 3-2, 2 outs, bottom 9, bases loaded, down 3 ('96 or '95 I think)

3- I can't remember any others that really stand out.

Another one I'll never forget came in the first inning of game one of the 1979 World Series.

Doug DeCinces rocked a two-run shot to make it 5-0 Orioles with still only one out. Absolutely incredible. (Of course, the score of the game wound up 5-4 & we all know what happened the rest of the series)

Good thread:

1. Cal 2131

2. Luke Appling in the DC Old Timers Game

3. Zimmerman walk off in first Nats game at new stadium - he was on my fantasy team and we had concluded the draft a few hours prior

4. Strawberry hit a monster HR off Pennington (?) at OPACY that got out in a hurry

5. Chris Richard took Clemens to the upper deck at Yankee Stadium in Cal's last game there.

Griffey off of Pennington. I think that ball is still going.........

I was there for that game. The crowd was going nuts and when Griffey connected it got so quiet you could almost hear the ball hit way way back. I thought it had a shot at the scoreboard at first but believe it went more towards the gap in right-center.

After the silence the boos broke out for either Pennington or the manager for putting him in. He never had it.

The most memorable homerun for me was Cal's during 2130.

Other memorable ones for me were

1) Bo Jackson's first AB after having hip replacement back in ~1989 or 1990. He could barely run around the bases

2) Ramon Herndanez's walk off grand slam.

3) Several of Brady's lead off homeruns during 1996. The view from behind the third base dugout of lefties pulling the ball over the scoreboard in right field is pretty awesome

Archived