Dylan Cease

E-D-D-I-E

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Well sure but the hypothetical here is the trade occurs. You were arguing against Robert as a target. 

Personally, he’s too risky for my taste even with a middle of the pack payroll. Just too injured and an overly aggressive swinger. I could see the argument for it if they were remotely willing to spend. 

7 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Personally, he’s too risky for my taste even with a middle of the pack payroll. Just too injured and an overly aggressive swinger. I could see the argument for it if they were remotely willing to spend. 

That’s fine. No disagreement that the risk is there.

15 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

According to the trade simulator Cease for Urias, Westburg, and Stowers would be pretty close.

or 

Cease for Mayo straight up, would you do that deal? My problem is I’d insist on an extension if I’m trade a blue chip guy in a deal.

No way am I giving up Mayo for Cease, and I'm in favor of a Cease trade.  I would let the White Sox know that I would be willing to trade 2 of the O's top prospects not named Holliday, Mayo or Basallo for Cease.  Probably not enough for them, but the WS aren't winning in 2024, and probably not 2025 because their farm isn't good enough and they still have a lot of long term contracts for guys under performing.

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

No way am I giving up Mayo for Cease, and I'm in favor of a Cease trade.  I would let the White Sox know that I would be willing to trade 2 of the O's top prospects not named Holliday, Mayo or Basallo for Cease.  Probably not enough for them, but the WS aren't winning in 2024, and probably not 2025 because their farm isn't good enough and they still have a lot of long term contracts for guys under performing.

I’m not suggesting we should ….just putting it out there.

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

For people arguing in favor of Cease, do you think he’ll provide similar production over the next 2-3 years as Sonny Gray? Why wouldn’t we just sign Gray to a 3/70 type deal and keep our prospects. 

You answered your own question.  Cease makes how much this year, 10M?   With a really good year what can he make in his walk year?   Less money involved with Cease.  Gray is the better bet to be good but Cease is the better bet to give you 32 starts and his upside is as good as Gray.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

You answered your own question.  Cease makes how much this year, 10M?   With a really good year what can he make in his walk year?   Less money involved with Cease.  Gray is the better bet to be good but Cease is the better bet to give you 32 starts and his upside is as good as Gray.

Why should payroll be a short term concern? I think this team could easily absorb a 3/70 deal. 

12 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I don't understand the fascination with Cease. He has only ever been good one year, which is the exception to his sample size. Not the rule.

I mean, this isn’t true at all.

I agree people overrate but to say he hasn’t been good except one year is factually wrong.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I mean, this isn’t true at all.

I agree people overrate but to say he hasn’t been good except one year is factually wrong.

Out of a 5 year career, he's had an ERA of 4 or worse 4 out of those 5 seasons. I am rounding a 3.91 ERA to a 4 because .09 decimals doesn't make any difference to me.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/ceasedy01.shtml