Shelton Perkins released

Legend_Of_Joey

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Looking at Perkins’ BB-ref page, he was quite good in 2021-22.   I guess he must not have recovered from his surgery very well for the Orioles to decide to release him.  

SSS but his walk rate increased as he graduated each level.  Maybe more experienced hitters didn’t chase or maybe he didn’t trust his stuff as much but he went from 2 walks in 14 IP at Delmarva to 10 in 21 at Aberdeen to 25 in 35 at Bowie.

26 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

SSS but his walk rate increased as he graduated each level.  Maybe more experienced hitters didn’t chase or maybe he didn’t trust his stuff as much but he went from 2 walks in 14 IP at Delmarva to 10 in 21 at Aberdeen to 25 in 35 at Bowie.

Yeah, the BB rate is the big negative.  But, he was very hard to hit (under 5.0 H/9) so sometimes you’ll have patience with a guy like that.  They could have released him at the end of ‘22, but they didn’t. So what changed?   

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, the BB rate is the big negative.  But, he was very hard to hit (under 5.0 H/9) so sometimes you’ll have patience with a guy like that.  They could have released him at the end of ‘22, but they didn’t. So what changed?   

All of the pitching prospects in the organization progressed in one way or another and he did not. It's a game of musical chairs. The music stoped and he didn't have a seat. Tough business.

On 11/4/2023 at 11:18 AM, Frobby said:

I don’t know for sure but with the influx of new draftees and more Latin American players coming stateside I’m sure it becomes a numbers game for minor league camps and rosters.  Someone has to go to make room.  I guess his stuff wasn’t considered good enough compared to others.