Keep one. Trade one.

RZNJ

You decide and feel free to give reasons.   For this exercise please don’t say neither.

1. Kjerstad or Cowser

2. Westburg or Ortiz

3. McDermott or Povich

4. Hays or Santander

5. Mayo or Basallo

6. Mateo or Urias

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You decide and feel free to give reasons.   For this exercise please don’t say neither.

1. Kjerstad or Cowser

2. Westburg or Ortiz

3. McDermott or Povich

4. Hays or Santander

5. Mayo or Basallo

6. Mateo or Urias

Fun thread idea!  And the pairings are good too.

I’m keeping:

HK

Ortiz

McD

Hays

Basallo Ask me tomorrow and it’ll be Mayo…

Urias

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

1. Keep Kjerstad

2. Keep Westburg

3. Keep Povich

4. Keep Hays

5. Keep Basallo 

6. Keep Urias 

Are we supposed to provide justification?

That’s up to you but it would be nice to discuss.  For instance, why Povich over McDermott?

1 minute ago, Yossarian said:

1. Keep Kjerstad

2. Keep Westburg

3. Keep Povich

4. Keep Hays

5. Keep Basallo 

6. Keep Urias 

Are we supposed to provide justification?

To justify:

Kjerstad  - LH power bar in Camden

Westburg - more defensive flexibility

Povich - just a hunch 

Hays - Santander has higher trade value

Basallo - just a hunch.  Premier position value at catcher

Urias - more defensive flexibility and I think the bat will come around in 2024 more like 2022

2 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

To justify:

Kjerstad  - LH power bar in Camden

Westburg - more defensive flexibility

Povich - just a hunch 

Hays - Santander has higher trade value

Basallo - just a hunch.  Premier position value at catcher

Urias - more defensive flexibility and I think the bat will come around in 2024 more like 2022

Good answers but it’s only fair to ask how Westburg has more defensive flexibility than Ortiz.

4 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Keep:

1. Kjerstad 

2. Westburg

(We need pitching is why I want both pitchers)

3. McDermott 

3. Povich

4.  Santander

5. Basallo

6. Urias

Geez!   Pretend you have to trade one of the pitchers in a package to get George Kirby.  Which one do you trade?

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Good answers but it’s only fair to ask how Westburg has more defensive flexibility than Ortiz.

Westburg is 6'2".  I think he could play first or even a corner OF positron, if needed.   Ortiz may be the more polished middle infielder, but I think Westburg offers more flexibility.  Of course, and he may be a complete disaster at this positions.   I would like to see him get a little more distance to that warning track power, however. 

• Upvote 1

1. Kjerstad - left handed power hitter in the perfect park for a left handed power hitter

2. Westburg - I’m not sold on Ortiz’s bat and his defense doesn’t make up the difference for me

3. Povich - McDermott walks too many guys, I don’t think he has a future in MLB EDIT: I just looked up Povichs numbers and he’s also walking a ton of guys. Neither seem great, so it’s a wash really

4. Hays - We need a center fielder playing left field

5. Basallo - We need a catcher in the system for when Rutschman is gone. They may be on the same team for a couple years, but Basallo is young enough that it shouldn’t be too much of an issue

6. Urias - Mateo is awful. His defensive and base running mental lapses takes him out of consideration for a PR/defense replacement. 

Edited by oriole

3 minutes ago, oriole said:

1. Kjerstad - left handed power hitter in the perfect park for a left handed power hitter

2. Westburg - I’m not sold on Ortiz’s bat and his defense doesn’t make up the difference for me

3. Povich - McDermott walks too many guys, I don’t think he has a future in MLB

4. Hays - We need a center fielder playing left field

5. Basallo - We need a catcher in the system for when Rutschman is gone. They may be on the same team for a couple years, but Basallo is young enough that it shouldn’t be too much of an issue

6. Urias - Mateo is awful. His defensive and base running mental lapses takes him out of consideration for a PR/defense replacement. 

Devils Advocate here.  Between AA and AAA McDermott had a walk rate of 5.1.  Povich 4.7.  Pretty close.

Great thread topic

1. Kjerstad -More power. Will want him  at 1B and I’m keeping Basallo instead of Mayo.

2. Ortiz-Better fielder at all IF positions and expect him to hit just as well.

3.McDermott-sounds like he’ll be ready sooner.

4.Hayes - Expected a higher OBP and want his glove and arm in the Grand Canyon that is LF.

5. Basallo- Don’t expect us to be able to keep Adley long term.

6. Uriah- I want my utility IF to be able to field well  and hit at least occasionally.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Devils Advocate here.  Between AA and AAA McDermott had a walk rate of 5.1.  Povich 4.7.  Pretty close.

I know, I edited it! McDermott has a reputation of walking guys so I didn’t need to look up his numbers. Povich was a bit more surprising to see. 

It’s also worth noting that Hall had a lot of issues with walks in the minors and did well in that regard in Baltimore in 2023. So it’s not like I feel they’re doomed. I just gotta see it to believe it.

• Upvote 1