Keep one. Trade one.

RZNJ

4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

1. Kjerstad

2.  Ortiz

3. Povich

4. Santander

5. Basallo (This one doesn't make sense they play different positions. O's will keep both.)

6. Mateo (Urias has better trade value)

What does it matter that Basallo and Mayo play different positions?   A team you’re trading with asks for one of the two. You decide.  Also, both could theoretically wind up as 1B for the Orioles.

11 hours ago, RZNJ said:

You decide and feel free to give reasons.   For this exercise please don’t say neither.

1. Kjerstad or Cowser

2. Westburg or Ortiz

3. McDermott or Povich

4. Hays or Santander

5. Mayo or Basallo

6. Mateo or Urias

1. Keep Kjerstad, Trade Cowser

Power bat

2. Keep Westburg, Trade Ortiz 

Solid starting infielder over maybe 

3. Keep McDermott, Trade Povich

Pick em.  Bit of edge to McDermott 

4. Keep Hays, Trade Santander

Free agent to be

5. Keep Mayo, Trade Basallo

Adley 

6. Keep Urias, Trade Mateo 

Urias can hit 

Again, playing devils advocate here.  I do agree that Kjerstad likely has more power than Cowser BUT Cowser, in 163 games between AA and AAA, hit 35 doubles and 32 homers so he’s no slouch in that department despite the complete lack of power he showed in his first 60 ML ABs.

12 hours ago, RZNJ said:

You decide and feel free to give reasons.   For this exercise please don’t say neither.

1. Kjerstad or Cowser

2. Westburg or Ortiz

3. McDermott or Povich

4. Hays or Santander

5. Mayo or Basallo

6. Mateo or Urias

First thing I’d say is it depends who you could get in exchange for each.  For example, Kjerstad might be more desirable to keep than Cowser, but he also might bring more back in a trade, so it’s not a foregone conclusion that you’d keep Kjerstad.   So, it’s tough to answer your question in a vacuum.  But, I’ll play along.

1.  Keep Kjerstad, trade Cowser.  Both are good prospects but Kjerstad has more upside I think.

2.  Keep Westburg, trade Ortiz.   I think Westburg is better offensively   He’ll end up as a plus-hitting Jack of all trades.

3.  Keep McDermott, trade Povich.  The latter is talented but too inconsistent to count on.  

4.  Keep Hays, trade Santander.  Two years of Hays > one year of Santander, plus by keeping Kjerstad I have Santander’s power bat replacement.  If I had traded Kjerstad and kept Cowser, I might have flipped here.  

5.  Keep Basallo, trade Mayo.   One can play catcher, one can’t.  That’s a huge differential.  

6.  Keep Mateo, trade Urias.   This is dictated by my decision on Westburg and Ortiz.  Westburg and Urias are redundant of each other, but Mateo has defensive abilities and speed that Westburg can’t match.  If I’d kept Ortiz, I’d probably have opted for Urias over Mateo.  

Anyway, fun exercise.  I’ll be interested to see who if anyone from this group gets traded this winter.  

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I wonder how many votes Cowser would have received if he raked while he was up. Everyone loves to point to a small sample size on this board when downplaying someone’s shortcomings while hoisting up a SSS when someone flashes. 

Are you playing along or trying to keep your nose clean?

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Mayo and Basallo, along with Holliday, aren’t available in any realistic trade scenario that is likely to come up this offseason.

Everyone else is available. (Well except for the obvious guys like Gunnar, GRod, Adley)

Love your choices!   Oh yeah, you didn’t make any.   20 years and still struggling with hypotheticals.  lol

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

First thing I’d say is it depends who you could get in exchange for each.  For example, Kjerstad might be more desirable to keep than Cowser, but he also might bring more back in a trade, so it’s not a foregone conclusion that you’d keep Kjerstad.   So, it’s tough to answer your question in a vacuum.  But, I’ll play along.

1.  Keep Kjerstad, trade Cowser.  Both are good prospects but Kjerstad has more upside I think.

2.  Keep Westburg, trade Ortiz.   I think Westburg is better offensively   He’ll end up as a plus-hitting Jack of all trades.

3.  Keep McDermott, trade Povich.  The latter is talented but too inconsistent to count on.  

4.  Keep Hays, trade Santander.  Two years of Hays > one year of Santander, plus by keeping Kjerstad I have Santander’s power bat replacement.  If I had traded Kjerstad and kept Cowser, I might have flipped here.  

5.  Keep Basallo, trade Mayo.   One can play catcher, one can’t.  That’s a huge differential.  

6.  Keep Mateo, trade Urias.   This is dictated by my decision on Westburg and Ortiz.  Westburg and Urias are redundant of each other, but Mateo has defensive abilities and speed that Westburg can’t match.  If I’d kept Ortiz, I’d probably have opted for Urias over Mateo.  

Anyway, fun exercise.  I’ll be interested to see who if anyone from this group gets traded this winter.  

McDermott vs Povich isn’t even a question. McDermott in a landslide. 

12 hours ago, RZNJ said:

1. Kjerstad or Cowser

2. Westburg or Ortiz

3. McDermott or Povich

4. Hays or Santander

5. Mayo or Basallo

6. Mateo or Urias

Fun exercise. 

1. Keep Cowswer.  Trade Kjerstad.  Cowser has more tools and can make an impact on both sides of the field.  He’s also a full year younger. 

2. Keep Ortiz.  Trade Westburg.  I think you get a haul for Westburg after his debut and pedigree.  Whoever stays is go out to be a super backup and Ortiz skill set fits that better.  Westburg has always seemed like the odd man out/guy without a position. 

3. Keep Povich.  Trade McDermott.  Povich is almost 2 years younger.  I want LHP in OPACY and his stuff can be electric.  Their stats are very similar. 

4. Keep Santander.  Trade Hays.  Tony is just a better player.  He’s the best hitter on the team.  He can switch hit effectively and play a solid 1B.  

5. Keep Basallo.  Trade Mayo.  For me Basallo close to #1 in the system.  He’s almost 3 years younger than Mayo(32 months) and only one level behind  him.  I think to get a stud SP we need to give up quality and Mayo would be the guy for me.  Infield is loaded and he is a difference maker.  Have to give up quality to get quality.  It would be ever so painful, however, to watch him mash somewhere else.

6. Trade Mateo. Keep Urias. Urias can hit.  SS is clogged with Gunnar & Ortiz.  Mateo gots to go.

** for the record I’m not for any of the above   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Why a landslide?  Povich is incredibly frustrating but their production is fairly similar.  

McDermott has been more consistent, especially as he got to AAA.

I also heard a recent interview with him and was really impressed by his intelligence and I feel that’s a great under appreciated trait.

Maybe Povich would be the same way but I don’t know that.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

McDermott has been more consistent, especially as he got to AAA.

I also heard a recent interview with him and was really impressed by his intelligence and I feel that’s a great under appreciated trait.

Maybe Povich would be the same way but I don’t know that.

I don’t want to get rid of either.  I like them both.   Povich had an issue with the HR this year giving up 18.  McDemott gave up 9 this year.  That was the main difference between their seasons (and their eras).  McDermott did give up 17 last year, however so something to keep an eye on.  

McDermott walked 2 more batters (68) in 7 fewer innings (119).  Povich had 171 Ks in 126ip v. McDermott 152 in 119ip.  

All this to say they are super similar.  I think we see big improvement from both.  I like that Povich is 20 months younger and his LH profile works well at OPACY of all else remains the same.  

13 hours ago, RZNJ said:

1. Kjerstad or Cowser

2. Westburg or Ortiz

3. McDermott or Povich

4. Hays or Santander

5. Mayo or Basallo

6. Mateo or Urias

HK is a LH power bat with significant offensive upside. I'm trading Santander so I'm keeping HK. Not certain Cowser can play CF in MLB; bat seems a bit lite at COF with Hays in LF.

Westburg has shown a bit more at the MLB level. I think JO best position is SS and we have one who is really good.

Povich is Left handed and has shown flashes of dominance. The minors is all about development. I think he turns the corner in 2024.

Hays is a better defensive OF, has more versatility and more speed. 

Basallo is a C. (I don't think you trade Mayo unless the deal is so good it's jaw dropping; but you asked).

Mateo because of his speed mostly. I'd get him some reps in CF in ST. I think Urias brings more back as well.

Edited by Jim'sKid26
additional thought
  • Upvote 1

I really don’t understand any scenario where we want to keep Mateo. His defense in 2022 is really looking like an outlier. His offense is atrocious, even at SS. His only valuable attribute to us is his speed. Adding in that he will cost about 3M, I just don’t get it. The only reason he should be tendered is if you’re sure you can trade him. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

McDermott vs Povich isn’t even a question. McDermott in a landslide. 

The one thing Povich has in his favor is that he’s 20 months younger than McDermott. McDermott leapfrogged Povich last year, but Povich has time to leapfrog him back.   

• Upvote 1