Keep one. Trade one.

RZNJ

32 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It's amazing how difficult this is for some people.   I don't want to trade Basallo or Mayo but if Elias had to include one in a deal and asked me which one I think I could offer an opinion.  This thread doesn't endorse trading anyone but in a hypothetical situation if you had to choose one of two players.  Most understand the concept. 

I am very confident that Elias is never going to ask my opinion on who to trade.   

Fact is I see a path for all these players to help the O's win either in 2024 or the future except Urias.   I am not picking between them.  I am looking to develop both of them.   I am not trying to wreak your fun.  Have at it. I hardly commented until my name was brought up.

Picking between Kjerstad and Cowser is not even relevant to me because right now I see them as both starting in the O's outfield in 2025.  6 years of control of prospects is very important to the O's future IMO.

Edited by wildcard

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is akin to asking wildcard: you have two children in a burning house and you only have time to save one of them.   Which one do you save?   He’s gonna say he has to save both, because he doesn’t like the hypothetical.   

And you need little Timmy to make sure Norfolk wins a title!

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am very confident that Elias is never going to ask my opinion on who to trade.   

Fact is I see a path for all these players to help the O's win either in 2024 or the future except Urias.   I am not picking between them.  I am looking to develop both of them.   I am not trying to wreak your fun.  Have at it. I hardly commented until my name was brought up.

Picking between Kjerstad and Cowser is not even relevant to me because right now I see them as both starting in the O's outfield in 2025.  6 years of control of prospects is very important to the O's future IMO.

image.gif.27877fd30d5f175f2366befd4b1a3435.gif

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

It's amazing how difficult this is for some people.   I don't want to trade Basallo or Mayo but if Elias had to include one in a deal and asked me which one I think I could offer an opinion.  This thread doesn't endorse trading anyone but in a hypothetical situation if you had to choose one of two players.  Most understand the concept. 

I think you've made it difficult. You paired everyone up who plays the same position except for Mayo and Basallo, which makes the choice pretty unnecessary. Had you put Mayo vs. Norby then it would have been more intuitive.

Just now, Malike said:

I think you've made it difficult. You paired everyone up who plays the same position except for Mayo and Basallo, which makes the choice pretty unnecessary. Had you put Mayo vs. Norby then it would have been more intuitive.

Mayo and Basallo are closer as prospects than Norby is with either one.  In addition it’s more likely that Mayo and Basallo play the same position (1B).  Norby plays 2B and maybe LF.   Norby doesn’t play the same position as Mayo and he’s not in the same zip code as a prospect.   I wouldn’t call that intuitive for someone who understands the Orioles prospects.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Mayo and Basallo are closer as prospects than Norby is with either one.  In addition it’s more likely that Mayo and Basallo play the same position (1B).  Norby plays 2B and maybe LF.   Norby doesn’t play the same position as Mayo and he’s not in the same zip code as a prospect.   I wouldn’t call that intuitive for someone who understands the Orioles prospects.

I understand what you're saying but the angst people are showing aren't between anyone but Mayo and Basallo because neither can replace the other like every other scenario you put together.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Who says it's more likely Basallo ends up at 1B? You or talent evaluators?

Just now, Malike said:

I understand what you're saying but the angst people are showing aren't between anyone but Mayo and Basallo because neither can replace the other like every other scenario you put together.

Hard to believe it’s so easy to throw you off.  It still comes down to one very simple thing.  If you had to trade one and were able to keep the other which would you choose.  I could have paired McDermott with Norby.  That causes you angst?    Maybe it should just make your choice easier.  Seems like you’re overthinking it.

Just now, Malike said:

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Who says it's more likely Basallo ends up at 1B? You or talent evaluators?

I never said it was more likely that he plays 1B.  I said it’s more likely that Mayo and Basallo play the same position than Norby.   Both Mayo and Basallo have played 1B in the minors.  With Rutschman here it makes sense that Basallo might do some catching and play 1B.   1B seems like a possible destination for Mayo.  Norby has only played 2B and some LF as far as I know.

8 hours ago, waroriole said:

I really don’t understand any scenario where we want to keep Mateo. His defense in 2022 is really looking like an outlier. His offense is atrocious, even at SS. His only valuable attribute to us is his speed. Adding in that he will cost about 3M, I just don’t get it. The only reason he should be tendered is if you’re sure you can trade him. 

I would not say that Mateo offense is atrocious.   I would say his hitting is atrocious.   But he stole 32 bases in 318 at bats.    That is about a steal every 10 at bats.   And he scored 58 runs.  Both of those factors are part of his offense.

If you watched the same games as I did I think you probably agree that Mateo is a disruptive force on the base paths.   He has the ability to change a game.   Especially a close game.  

Is that worth 3M?    If he can helps the O's win games that they might not otherwise win he may be.  Winning games brings fans to the ball park.   It helps attendance which makes money.  So maybe he is worth it.

Maybe they don't want him to start as many games next year but maybe in the right spots in games he can gives them the boost they need.  Like when they put a runner on 2nd in the 10th inning.

Edited by wildcard
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I would not say that Mateo offense is atrocious.   I would say his hitting is atrocious.   But he stole 32 bases in 318 at bats.    That is about a steal every 10 at bats.   And he scored 58 runs.  Both of those factors are part of his offense.

If you watched the same games as I did I think you probably agree that Mateo is a disruptive force on the base paths.   He has the ability to change a game.   Especially a close game.  

Is that worth 3M?    If he can helps the O's win games that they might not otherwise win he may be.  Winning games brings fans to the ball park.   It helps attendance which makes money.  So maybe he is worth it.

Maybe they don't want him to start as many has next year but maybe in the right spot in games he can gives them the boost they need.  Like when they put a runner on 2nd in the 10th inning.

Of all the things you could say that's the argument you come up with?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Maybe they don't want him to start as many games next year but maybe in the right spots in games he can gives them the boost they need.  Like when they put a runner on 2nd in the 10th inning.

You can’t steal 1B. And he can’t get on it. I don’t see his one trick being worth a roster spot and 3M. If you need that player at the end of the season, call up Bradford. 

• Upvote 1