Keep one. Trade one.

RZNJ

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We have a low payroll because our best players are young and cheap.  That’s just where we are in the cycle.  We’ve got solid to good players at every position on the field, so having a good pinch runner may be a better use of $3 mm than other things we could do with that bit of money.  

Yes, the payroll is low because of that and it will remain low because of that.

But it doesn’t have to be this low. Give me a payroll of 80-110M in 2024 and say, you can spend that money anyway you see fit (ie, if you want to pay 25M for a pitcher, so be it) and I’m happy. That’s still bottom third in the league I believe.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes, the payroll is low because of that and it will remain low because of that.

But it doesn’t have to be this low. Give me a payroll of 80-110M in 2024 and say, you can spend that money anyway you see fit (ie, if you want to pay 25M for a pitcher, so be it) and I’m happy. That’s still bottom third in the league I believe.

It does if that is where ownership sets spending.

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We have a low payroll because our best players are young and cheap.  That’s just where we are in the cycle.  We’ve got solid to good players at every position on the field, so having a good pinch runner may be a better use of $3 mm than other things we could do with that bit of money.  

I’d prefer to spend that money on the bullpen, which faltered down the stretch. Or to sign a slightly better SP. But, just leaving the money out of it, it’s wasting a roster spot. Don’t you think Ortiz or Norby would help us win more games than Mateo. We just don’t have the luxury to carry him on a 4 man bench. If it gets to September and you think you need a speedster for the pennant chase and playoffs, bring up Bradford. 

Edited by waroriole

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I don’t get the point of CoC’s comment, especially within the context of the discussion. 

If ownership says it has to be at a certain level that is reality, regardless of any other factor.

It is easy to say the team could support a higher payroll, but it isn't relevant if ownership refuses to do it.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If ownership says it has to be at a certain level that is reality, regardless of any other factor.

It is easy to say the team could support a higher payroll, but it isn't relevant if ownership refuses to do it.

Thank you Capt Obvious. What next, are you going to tell us that water is wet?

On 11/3/2023 at 8:16 PM, RZNJ said:

You decide and feel free to give reasons.   For this exercise please don’t say neither.

1. Kjerstad or Cowser

2. Westburg or Ortiz

3. McDermott or Povich

4. Hays or Santander

5. Mayo or Basallo

6. Mateo or Urias

Trading:

1. Cowser

2. Ortiz

3. McDermott

4. Hays

5. OUCH! Mayo

6. Mateo

Edited by Hank Scorpio
  • Upvote 1

On 11/3/2023 at 8:16 PM, RZNJ said:

You decide and feel free to give reasons.   For this exercise please don’t say neither.

1. Kjerstad or Cowser

2. Westburg or Ortiz

3. McDermott or Povich

4. Hays or Santander

5. Mayo or Basallo

6. Mateo or Urias

1. Keep Kjerstad.
2. Keep Ortiz.
3. Keep McDermott.
4. Keep Santander.
5. Keep Basallo.
6. Keep Urias. 

1. Kjerstad or Cowser - Kjerstad. He is the power bat to replace Santander. I believe in Cowser to, but his power will be limited by cavernous LF.

2. Westburg or Ortiz - Neither. Westburg at 2nd, Ortiz at 3rd. Ortiz if i have to chose.

3. McDermott or Povich - Mcdermott. Ace stuff. Still working back.

4. Hays or Santander - Hays because of multi-years left on deal. LF is tough at OPACY.

5. Mayo or Basallo - Mayo. Basallo is way too young to think he will be Mayo's caliber.

6. Mateo or Urias - Urias. He is better than last years showing. Mateo is bad...

Kjerstad or Cowser =  Kjerstad, MOO power

2. Westburg or Ortiz = Westburg, power

3. McDermott or Povich = Povich, misses bats

4. Hays or Santander = Santander, Power and Switch Hitter

5. Mayo or Basallo = Basallo, eventual replacement of Rutschman, Rutschman traded for pitching

6. Mateo or Urias = Urias, both will be gone next season.

1) Keep Kjerstad - I still believe in Cowser, but I do think HK's power is more of a carrying tool. 

2) Keep Westburg - I believe in the bat more and think Ortiz has more value as a trade chip than he'll ever have on a team where he's blocked at his best position.

3) Meh, not really sold on either of these guys. Flip a coin.

4) Keep Santander - Hays is likely to be at his peak value now, and Santander is probably more valuable to next year's team than what he would get in return in a trade. 

5) Keep Basallo - I really hate this one. Being younger, a lefty, and able to play some C (for now) gives Basallo the edge if I'm at gunpoint, but I wouldn't feel good about either choice

6) Keep Mateo - He's a glorified pinch-runner, just don't make me watch him hit very often. Urias should still have some value as a trade chip, which I'd prefer to cash in now. 

This is very interesting to see. I almost wish there was a poll. It's also interesting how some prioritize one thing with one matchup and the opposite with the other. For me: 

1. Kjerstad or Cowser - I'm taking Kjerstad because of the bat and the glimpse we say in the Majors. I think Cowser may have the higher upside as an overall player, but Kjerstad's bat is just too interesting. 

2. Westburg or Ortiz - Westburg. While Ortiz is an actual SS and Westburg isn't, he looked good defensively at 2B (though my gauge of that may be off having watch so much of Frazier last year), and we don't need him at SS with Henderson and Holliday. 

3. McDermott or Povich - This is probably the closest one to me. It's almost a toss up. I might take Povich solely because he's a lefty and would benefit more from the LF wall. 

4. Hays or Santander - This is almost the older version of the first question...and I'm taking Santander for the same reason. I like the bat. Yes, we need defense for the deep LF wall. But I'm taking these almost in a vacuum. I'm not assuming because I took Kjerstad in 1 that Cowser is out of the organization. And if they team did move Hays, I may change my answer to 1. 

5. Mayo or Basallo - Basallo because of the catching. If the minors weren't stacked with offensive talent, I'd probably switch to Mayo since he's closer and thus a bit more of a sure thing, but as it stands, Basallo has more positional flexibility. This is probably the second closest one after McDermott/Povich.  

6. Mateo or Urias - Since I can't say neither (not that I don't like both), I'm saying Mateo. With Holliday, Henderson and Westburg (along with Ortiz and Norby) it's hard to envision either of them getting that much playing time in 2024. With that, I like Mateo's skill set better on the bench. The speed and strength against LHP gives him a niche that may prove useful. While Urias is the better bat overall, I don't know that you'd find much of a use for him. Mateo can at least pinch run or get a spot start here or there against a LHP if the Orioles want to protect him against tough LHPs early in the season (like they did for Henderson).