FA Starters that fit Elias' pattern

wildcard

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

While I’m in favor extending guys, the idea of the extension is greatly overrated.

As I mentioned yesterday, the White Sox have been burned pretty repeatedly in their many extensions.   It’s working nicely for the Braves, though.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As I mentioned yesterday, the White Sox have been burned pretty repeatedly in their many extensions.   It’s working nicely for the Braves, though.  

Well, we’ll see. It doesn’t really matter how well it works out while they are under the team control they would have had anyway.

13 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, we’ll see. It doesn’t really matter how well it works out while they are under the team control they would have had anyway.

Well, it does in the context of saving/losing money.  Just compare Acuna and Soto’s salaries to date, through 4+ years.  $36 mm vs. $49 mm, and it the gap will get a lot wider the next two years.  Now, that’s an extreme case because Acuna severely undersold himself.   But the gap between performing under the contract and going year by year can be pretty wide in other cases, too.  On the downside, there have been many cases where an extended player would have been nontendered if he wasn’t already under contract, like DeJong.