The Best Relief Pitcher Who Might Be Available (Title Edited)

RZNJ

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Did Akin learn to throw strikes last year? How did that work out? If we traded Cano this year, would you expect more than Ortiz as a return?

Akin walked 20 in 80 in 2022.  In a much smaller sample he walked 7 in 23 last year.  What’s your point?

A good hypothetical on Cano.  I don’t know but I think there is actually a lot more skepticism surrounding Cano than Tanner Scott.

I’m good with the bullpen where it’s at. The time to add a back end reliever is at the trade deadline when more teams are selling. Plus, we’re solid on LH relievers with Coloumbe, Perez, Hall, and Irvin. Remember Irvin had a velocity increase when used strictly as a 1 IP reliever versus being a long man. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m good with the bullpen where it’s at. The time to add a back end reliever is at the trade deadline when more teams are selling. Plus, we’re solid on LH relievers with Coloumbe, Perez, Hall, and Irvin. Remember Irvin had a velocity increase when used strictly as a 1 IP reliever versus being a long man. 

How many impact guys were available this season?

23 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Akin walked 20 in 80 in 2022.  In a much smaller sample he walked 7 in 23 last year.  What’s your point?

A good hypothetical on Cano.  I don’t know but I think there is actually a lot more skepticism surrounding Cano than Tanner Scott.

The point is the control was a mirage or outlier for Akin. I’m not giving up Ortiz on the hope that Scott doesn’t return to his old wild ways. 

8 minutes ago, waroriole said:

The point is the control was a mirage or outlier for Akin. I’m not giving up Ortiz on the hope that Scott doesn’t return to his old wild ways. 

How was it an outlier for Akins?   He walked 1 in 8 innings at Norfolk and 7 in 23 in the majors.     7 walks in 23 compared to 20 in 80 in 2022 hardly suggests he fell off the wagon.

Just now, backwardsk said:

Wasn’t 3/4 of Arizona’s back end trade acquisitions?

I was actually asking a question.   I was so focused on what the O's were doing that I didn't pay a huge amount of attention to what the DBacks did.

The problem with waiting until the deadline is you might not have a good match.  There is no guarantee of availability.

I dont see Sig letting a prospect like Ortiz go for Scott.  From what I remember hearing in the interviews when Elias was hired that they plan to turn the Orioles into an assembly line of young talent.  I think they will always have the long term prioritized even after a year like last year.   You just have to see how we handled the trade deadline to see our braintrust in action.   They aint giving away nuggets for rentals. 

Trades like Ortiz for Scott are why I can’t stand the baseball offseason. It’s mind numbing hearing such suggestions. That being said, wouldn’t it be amazing to be a fly on the wall at the winter meetings? I’d love to hear the pros discuss player projection and possible trades.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Explosivo said:

Trades like Ortiz for Scott are why I can’t stand the baseball offseason. It’s mind numbing hearing such suggestions. That being said, wouldn’t it be amazing to be a fly on the wall at the winter meetings? I’d love to hear the pros discuss player projection and possible trades.

You must have heard quite a lot of similar suggestions.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Peak arbitration?  Isn’t what really matters how much Scott gets in arbitration?  He made 2.83M last year.  Not sure what he can expect in 2024.  Where’s @Frobby when you need him.

FWIW Spotrac estimates $5.6 million for Scott in 2024.

• Thanks 1

For comparison sake, Seattle traded Paul Sewald for Josh Rojas, Dominic Canzone, and Ryan Bliss.  Bliss, most likely a 2B, is rated Seattles #14 prospect after the trade.  Rojas,29, was a super utility regular in 21 and 22 and had an FWAR of 1.8,2.7,1.1 the last 3 years while playing 2B/SS/3B/LF/RF,  and Canzone is a 26 yo OF who put up big numbers in Reno (who doesn’t) last year but mediocre numbers with Seattle.

Seward is D-Backs propert for one more season.

Ortiz is better than any single piece Seattle got in that trade but I still don’t think it’s horrendous.   It’s still a good basis for a trade.  We could ask for a lower level prospect back.

Edited by RZNJ

It's an interesting thought and clearly addresses a need.  However, if we're going to trade a good prospect for a reliever I would want at least 2 years of control and at least 2 years of demonstrated success.  Relievers fluctuate so much from year to year, this is a buy-high on very little track record to go on.  That's why I'd pass.