White Sox Trade Possibilties

Sports Guy

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Kopech pitched very well as a reliever.  Fuji did not.  No comparison unless you feel that Kopech can’t transition back.  He averaged 97 mph as a reliever but 95 with worse control as a starter.  A comparison to Hall is closer than a comparison to Fuji.

I think there's some comparison. Fuji as a reliever: 5.14 ERA with 10.1 K/9. Kopech as a reliever in 2021: 3.90 ERA with 13 K/9, but then an ERA over 20 in 2023 in a small sample. They're both risky overall as relievers in my mind. So, like I said, Kopech can't be had for just an Easton Lucas, perhaps, but I could see a flawed upside-y ML piece like Mateo plus a guy similar to Lucas being enough. 

Edited by interloper

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think there's some comparison. Fuji as a reliever: 5.14 ERA with 10.1 K/9. Kopech as a reliever in 2021: 3.90 ERA with 13 K/9, but then an ERA over 20 in 2023 in a small sample. They're both risky overall as relievers in my mind. So, like I said, Kopech can't be had for just an Easton Lucas, perhaps, but I could see a flawed upside-y ML piece like Mateo plus a guy similar to Lucas being enough. 

In 2021 as a reliever Kopech had that 3.90 ERA.  He also had 21 walks and 80 strikeouts in 55 innings.   Then he pitches to a mid 3 ERA as a starter in 2022.   A 4.08 ERA in his first 16 starts last year before completely falling apart in the 2nd half to the tune of a 8.10 ERA in the 2nd half.  The guy who was a mess is comparable to Fuji.   The WS aren’t going to trade him to someone who believes he just sucks now.   They are either going to get him on the right track to get his value back up or trade him to a team who values him, at the very least, as the 2019 reliever version.

I've remained skeptical about the White Sox moving Robert, but after looking closely, I certainly understand SG's man crush.  Plus defender in CF and right handed with power.  He makes both Hays and Mullins expendable, not that I'm saying trade both of them.  But, you could do a lot worse than an outfield that included Robert (RH), Kjerstad (LH), Santander (SH), Cowser (LH) and Hilliard (LH) or McKenna (RH). 

Edited by NCRaven

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

I've remained skeptical about the White Sox moving Robert, but after looking closely, I certainly understand SG's man crush.  Plus defender in CF and right handed with power.  He makes both Hays and Mullins expendable, not that I'm saying trade both of them.  But, you could do a lot worse than an outfield that included Robert (RH), Kjerstad (LH), Santander (SH), Cowser (LH) and Hilliard (LH) or McKenna (RH). 

Well if you trade Mullins, Hays, and Santander (the later is kind of expected) you’d have Kjerstad, Cowser, Hilliard// McKenna, and Robert. I’m not sold on Kjerstad defensively, Cowser offensively, and the other 2 are throw away 4th/5th types. Beavers isn’t close enough yet. So do you bring up Norby and pencil him in LF? Otherwise you can include Stowers or you are looking for a complete OF IMO. I’m okay because I’m convinced that Santander is gone. Hays is ok but I’m happy they seem to be moving away from the low OBP guys and Mullins is starting to become an injury issue.

Steve Adams of Fangraphs 

Brewers

White Sox

1:36

Odds the White Sox actually are open to trade anyone, and if so would that include Robert?

Steve Adams

1:37

I think the asking price on Robert would be so outlandish that it just wouldn't get done. Like, bigger than the package the Padres sent to the Nats for Soto.

Four years of Robert at a max of $67.5MM is a laughable bargain, injury risks or not.

On 11/9/2023 at 10:21 AM, interloper said:

I think if Fuji can be had for Easton Lucas, you can get Kopech for something similar. Maybe Mateo plus a low-A flier. 

This feels like too much to me. Kopech doesn't add enough to a Cease package to warrant 4 top prospects. 

We have two SPs right now including Kopech.  Michael was a disaster last year and trading him right would be selling at his lowest point and create another hole.  Mateo offers nothing for us and I’m very doubtful they’d move him in the first place as we have a new Director of Pitching coming in and might as well and see if he can help figure him out.

• Upvote 1

On 11/9/2023 at 10:38 AM, RZNJ said:

Cowser and Ortiz for Cease seems doable.  You are basically offering Norby (as I predicted) and Wagner for Kopech.   I think it’s interesting but I bet our White Sox fan declines.  

I’m just not a big fan of Norby and would rather hold onto Kopech.  Cowser & Ortiz (and lesser third piece) might be close for Cease, but would prefer Kjerstad as the centerpiece given his power potential.

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m just not a big fan of Norby and would rather hold onto Kopech.  Cowser & Ortiz (and lesser third piece) might be close for Cease, but would prefer Kjerstad as the centerpiece given his power potential.

I think the biggest question on Norby is if he can be a ML average defensive 2B.  I like his bat a lot.   He’s kind of on the outside looking in in Baltimore but might be a good fit for you guys.  Having said that you probably don’t want two young MI with Colton Montgomery so close.  What’s the scuttlebut on Kopech’s 2nd half last year?

Folks around here are bullish on Kjerstad.  Holliday, Mayo, and Basallo are on the do not touch list.  Kjerstad is next.

Edited by RZNJ

On 11/9/2023 at 12:56 PM, RZNJ said:

In 2021 as a reliever Kopech had that 3.90 ERA.  He also had 21 walks and 80 strikeouts in 55 innings.   Then he pitches to a mid 3 ERA as a starter in 2022.   A 4.08 ERA in his first 16 starts last year before completely falling apart in the 2nd half to the tune of a 8.10 ERA in the 2nd half.  The guy who was a mess is comparable to Fuji.   The WS aren’t going to trade him to someone who believes he just sucks now.   They are either going to get him on the right track to get his value back up or trade him to a team who values him, at the very least, as the 2019 reliever version.

Fully agree with this.  Kopech had some of the best pure stuff I have ever seen pre TJS.  When he returned in 2021 after several years off (including sitting out the 2020 season for personal reasons), he looked absolutely dominant as a reliever.  Building up his stamina again as a starter in 2022 led to a mediocre season.  He was a mess last year and it’s really hard to predict what 2023 holds.  But given we are playing for nothing next year, zero reason not to give him a shot and hope it finally clicks.  If not, move him to the bullpen and hope his elite stuff returns.

@Sports Guy Everyone but Robert is available according to Nightengale.

According to Bob Nightengale of USA TODAY, the Chicago White Sox are ready to start rebuilding.

"This is why the White Sox cut ties with shortstop Tim Anderson and are making everyone available in trades except center fielder Luis Robert – including ace Dylan Cease – as they lower their payroll," he writes.

https://www.si.com/mlb/orioles/news/could-baltimore-orioles-pull-off-blockbuster-trade-for-ace-brad9