Bowden: Burnes potential suitors including Os

Sports Guy

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sure you can go that route but you can also make a very easy and legit argument that Burnes is the best possible pitcher we could get and since winning is what matters, you can overlook the idea of giving up middling pitching prospects.

You say no to this idea because Mayo, not Hall and McDermott.

Now, I don’t think I trade Hall because we need him for the pen to win now. But would I deal
Povich and McDermott?  Sure.

Put it this way..if it cost McDermott and Povich to get Burnes or Cowser and Ortiz for Cease, in taking Burnes all day. Now, that trade isn’t realistic but just saying, that’s better for us.

I am just not a big fan of trading away significant long term assets for one year of a pitcher.  For whatever reason, two years doesn’t bother me nearly as much.  So while I’d like to have Burnes, I’m not willing to trade two top-level prospects to get him.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I am just not a big fan of trading away significant long term assets for one year of a pitcher.  For whatever reason, two years doesn’t bother me nearly as much.  So while I’d like to have Burnes, I’m not willing to trade two top-level prospects to get him.  

I get that and Burnes isn’t at the top of my list for that reason but he’s also arguably the best pitcher available and you have to consider that when they aren’t that expensive and you are in position to win a title.

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sure you can go that route but you can also make a very easy and legit argument that Burnes is the best possible pitcher we could get and since winning is what matters, you can overlook the idea of giving up middling pitching prospects.

You say no to this idea because Mayo, not Hall and McDermott.

Now, I don’t think I trade Hall because we need him for the pen to win now. But would I deal
Povich and McDermott?  Sure.

Put it this way..if it cost McDermott and Povich to get Burnes or Cowser and Ortiz for Cease, in taking Burnes all day. Now, that trade isn’t realistic but just saying, that’s better for us.

You're moving the target now. The whole point of my original comment was to point how lazy the article was to suggest the Orioles would deal one of their only two top young arms (i.e., G-Rod and Hall). Can we just agree that Bowden is an idiot and move on? 

Just now, HakunaSakata said:

You're moving the target now. The whole point of my original comment was to point how lazy the article was to suggest the Orioles would deal one of their only two top young arms (i.e., G-Rod and Hall). Can we just agree that Bowden is an idiot and move on? 

Yes but not because he suggested we trade pitching. He’s an idiot because of Mayo.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I get that and Burnes isn’t at the top of my list for that reason but he’s also arguably the best pitcher available and you have to consider that when they aren’t that expensive and you are in position to win a title.

You have absolutely no idea who the "best pitcher available" is. None of us do. 

2 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

You have absolutely no idea who the "best pitcher available" is. None of us do. 

I mean, we absolutely know who is available in FA and we have a good idea of who is likely to be available in trade. Burnes is likely to be available and he is definitely in the argument for best available pitcher.

That’s not really debatable.

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I mean, we absolutely know who is available in FA and we have a good idea of who is likely to be available in trade. Burnes is likely to be available and he is definitely in the argument for best available pitcher.

That’s not really debatable.

It's completely debatable. Do you honestly think that all of the GMs just willy nilly tell the media / press who they are / aren't going to trade? 99% of the posts on this message board are pure speculation and the percentage of posts by members of the media, like Bowden, isn't much higher. 

I just tried the Burnes Bowden trade on baseball trade values and it was so lopsided it wouldn't even let me post it on the message board.  Mayo alone has more surplus value than Burnes and the total value of the deal was 61M to 32M.

I'm convinced the Athletic keeps Bowden around purely cause people hate read his posts. page views are page views regardless of how they're garnered. 

Edited by nvpacchi
  • Upvote 1

FWIW, Burnes to Orioles came up in the MLBTR chat.  Ortiz alone got a response that Steve Adams didn't think so, but Matt Arnold may feel differently.  

The package proposed from Jim Bowden is way too high IMHO.

https://live.jotcast.com/chat/chat-with-mlbtrs-steve-adams-11-15-23-16995.html

Orioles
1:11
Is Joey ortiz enough for Corbin burnes?

Steve Adams
1:12
I don't think so, but maybe Matt Arnold feels differently. In general though, if the offer you're constructing for a top-tier trade target like Burnes consists of someone (or someoneS) who feel  largely superfluous to the current big league product, it's probably light.

That's not a knock on Ortiz -- more so just a comment on the depth the O's generally have in the infield.

Hard pass.. particularly one year .. i will take my chances with a lesser addition than that cost and maybe getting  101 wins again and seeing how it goes. 

i think the CW that it was Texas adding X orY expensive free agent or trade is overrated.  Texas got hot for a few weeks just at the right time.  A month before they couldn’t beat squat.  It could have just as easily been us or the Braves that were hot.  And no matter how much costly talent gets added in Dec, the WS teams are only about who is playing hot at that moment 

11 hours ago, interloper said:

Lol @ "close to what it takes to land Burnes". 

This is the problem with having the #1 farm system. Teams only want to raid your top guys, even though the bottom of your top 20 is probably better than their trash top 10. I legitimately think Elias ran into this problem, and I believe he kind of hinted at it with some comments where like... if a team wants another team's top 10 prospect, they don't adjust for the Orioles, you know? The demand is still a top 10 prospect, even though that prospect is miles and miles better than another team's similarly ranked guy. 

For real. At the trade deadline rumors were the White Sox were trying to get Jackson Holliday for Cease. No, thanks.

What are the Brewers looking to do next season? Rebuild or compete?

If they are trying to compete, they need offense. Perhaps the trade includes a Santander, Mountcastle, Hays, and/or Mullins? 

I also think the O's need Devin Williams. Again, what are the Brewers trying to do next year though?

If they are trying to rebuild, what prospects bag Burnes? Williams? Both?

Ortiz, Westburg, Cowser, Povich, Beavers, McDermott could get us both