Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

What's your logic?

ATL and CIN were two of the biggest suitors (reportedly) for Cease. Both went and got SP today. Not saying that eliminates them, but buyers are filling their needs elsewhere. Plus Bieber is still on the market, and maybe some Marlins as well. I just don't think CWS played their cards very well. But maybe they'd rather hold onto Cease til mid-year, which is their prerogative.

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Not really.,they aren’t trading Dominguez. Almost 25 y/o players are heading up any deals.

The Yankees prospects are always overhyped. If the WS want a bunch of overhyped guys, so be it.

They have some pieces that could be in that 2-4 range in a prospect but nothing that truly leads a package.  Trading with the Yankees would be a quantity over quality package and maybe they are ok with that.  

This is hilarious and wrong. The Yankees actually have a great and deep system. Not as strong as ours, but not letting this post just go ignored.

• Downvote 2

26 minutes ago, ChicagoTerp said:

ATL and CIN were two of the biggest suitors (reportedly) for Cease. Both went and got SP today. Not saying that eliminates them, but buyers are filling their needs elsewhere. Plus Bieber is still on the market, and maybe some Marlins as well. I just don't think CWS played their cards very well. But maybe they'd rather hold onto Cease til mid-year, which is their prerogative.

Getz would have egg all over his face if he accepted Cowser and Povich.   It does appear some teams may be dropping out of the Cease sweepstakes though.

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Getz would have egg all over his face if he accepted Cowser and Povich.   It does appear some teams may be dropping out of the Cease sweepstakes though.

Reading their message board I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a certain amount of pressure to pass on making a trade that doesn’t meet the unreasonably high expectations he may have set. Seems like that fanbase will eat him alive if he doesn’t bring back something in line with the leaked Reds package.

For all the frustrations fans have expressed with regards to Elias being overly cautious, he’s made a number of choices that have drawn significant fan blowback but have worked out. Underslot draft strategies and the Lopez/Mancini trades come to mind. Not all GMs would make those moves at the expense of fan’s short term outrage and I think it deserves some credit.
I could see Getz holding Cease and passing on potentially valuable young upside pieces if they don’t check the right media/fan boxes. Just speculating based on the media accounts suggesting the White Sox may hold him; Getz may just be playing this cool until the last minute of course.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

It’s amusing to see SG and our ambassador to Chicago, Frobby, posting on the WS board.  The WS board is taking the lack of a deal and talks of certain off limits prospects very personally.   Continued insults of Elias, broad generalizations of OH posters, and hopes that we either miss the playoffs or get bounced in the first round if we don’t give them what they want for Cease.   Sad.

Sour grapes 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's almost as bad as complaining when International Free Agents choose to sign with large market clubs!

I don’t care who they sign with if the salary disparity is fixed. But, I don’t want to debate this with you or anyone else again. 

Edited by Roll Tide

The honeymoon period is over on the WS message board.   Here’s a shocker.   Many have a problem with SG’s posting style.  I think one posters thoughts sums up most of that boards feelings when he asked SG “What the f is your problem” ?   

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The honeymoon period is over on the WS message board.   Here’s a shocker.   Many have a problem with SG’s posting style.  I think one posters thoughts sums up most of that boards feelings when he asked SG “What the f is your problem” ?   

Not surprised….A number of us don’t care for it here. Nobody likes an insufferable self proclaimed know it all. 😂

• Upvote 1

I think and baseball fans can agree that Getz needs to get as much as possible. I think it’s safe to say his asking prices thus far have been met with a negative response. I don’t think anyone would believe an offer of Cowser and Kjerstad/ Mayo has been made  not accepted. That would be a haul. 

It seems to me as the service time deceases so will the amount teams are willing to pay.  Unless Cease reverts to his form of 2 years ago and some team gets really desperate. There are risks with that approach that include some amount of slide in the other direction, injury, etc. So holding out could result in them getting a whole lot less or even nothing. 

Hopefully a compromise can be made between Getz and another GM that fans can be onboard with. If I’m Elias I’m probably not trading the guys we see mentioned in these threads as they just finished a painfully long rebuild and the owner isn’t going to give him the money to extend Cease. Therefore giving up 2 prospects like Kjerstad and Mayo plus a couple others for 2 years of Cease could end up being a big loser. I think the White Sox maybe a better match with a large market team as they can extend him and buy their way out of a mistake. The Orioles and Reds don’t have that luxury.

9 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I will be satisfied if/when Cease is traded to another team and we never have to hear another Orioles fan talk about him in a trade idea ever again.

I think you're destined to be disappointed.

Given Cease's incredibly attractive contract, any acquiring team will have the option to trade him during the 2024-2025 offseason or if not then, then at the 2025 trade deadline.  This is a big selling point that a lot of people are ignoring.  You can bet the big market teams aren't.

As to the way this message board works...

If the O's don't get him and he has success, you will never hear the end of how (spineless) Mike Elias blinked.  If the O's don't get him and he does moderately well, then there will be at least 50 pages on the question of whether or not to go after him at the next opportunity, and how - watch for several highly entertaining 3-way trade ideas.  Finally, if the O's don't get him and he sucks, then there will be 20 pages on whether the O's pitching gurus can fix him, so maybe we should try to get him on the cheap?

Happy New Year.