Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

20 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I don’t expect he’d be after Snell or Yamamoto, but no reason we shouldn’t have pursued EdRod for what he got. Trades for guys like Cease when we have the second lowest payroll in MLB only happens because of pathetic ownership. 

The Astros regime that Elias was part of never gave a free agent starting pitcher more than 3 years.

• Upvote 1

I generally stay out of the hypothetical discussions about trades because it's impossible to know what each side is thinking. That being said, I've probably read just about every comment in this thread and the back and forth. I think we all have a pretty good idea of what some of us would be "ok" with in a trade.

My question is for the folks that do not want to trade a group of prospects for a pitcher...what is your plan for all of the seemingly ready prospects? Some, not all are getting to an age where they should be given an opportunity to show if they can handle the Majors. At some point you're not only doing a disservice to the player, you're doing a disservice to the team. Value goes down with age. Just curious and trying to get some understanding from each side.

I think it's hilarious that they think they're getting a King's Ransom for Cease. Like I said before, after getting burned by Sale, I guess they don't want to have to hang their heads in shame again. They did get 2 good seasons from Moncada before he forgot how to hit, so there is that.

2 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I generally stay out of the hypothetical discussions about trades because it's impossible to know what each side is thinking. That being said, I've probably read just about every comment in this thread and the back and forth. I think we all have a pretty good idea of what some of us would be "ok" with in a trade.

My question is for the folks that do not want to trade a group of prospects for a pitcher...what is your plan for all of the seemingly ready prospects? Some, not all are getting to an age where they should be given an opportunity to show if they can handle the Majors. At some point you're not only doing a disservice to the player, you're doing a disservice to the team. Value goes down with age. Just curious and trying to get some understanding from each side.

One of the things that I never worry about with Elias is that he doesn't have a plan. 

I'd wager he has planned for multiple scenarios that involve getting or not getting Cease.

Will I like the plan? Maybe. Maybe not. But I feel strongly that he has a plan for every prospect in the org. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, SoxFan3344 said:

If I were an owner of a major league club I’d simply pay guys too 

I wouldn't want Stroman for multiple years.  And, quite honestly, I'd only want him if the O's can't trade for someone better.   

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

And a floor of...*checks notes*... 2023 Dylan Cease.

And I’m 100% sure Mike Elias is using that as part of his negotiation, I’d also think that Mike Elias and the player development team see something in Cease to where they can build him back up closer to the 2022 Cease than 2023, as some insiders have also alluded to also about teams thinking they can make adjustments to him 

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

I think it's hilarious that they think they're getting a King's Ransom for Cease. Like I said before, after getting burned by Sale, I guess they don't want to have to hang their heads in shame again. They did get 2 good seasons from Moncada before he forgot how to hit, so there is that.

It may be in their best interest to hold onto Cease and look to deal him in July.    If Cease is in 2022 form they will get their "King's Ransom".   

In my opinion, if you buy a pitcher or more now - this year - you can then trade excess bats to build up more pitching in the minors and let Holt and Company develop them. We need a better pipeline of pitching to go along with the bats we have coming. I know, I'm being repetitive, but this is what I think may happen and may be the plan if an acceptable trade can't be worked out.

1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

It may be in their best interest to hold onto Cease and look to deal him in July.    If Cease is in 2022 form they will get their "King's Ransom".   

If Cease loses another MPH on his fastball and his slider doesn't rebound, he'll be worth a bag of balls at the trade deadline. His pitch values were complete garbage in 2023.