Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The fact is, having a stud FA starter wouldn’t have won us that Rangers series.   And getting one now or not won’t necessarily determine whether we win a playoff series next year.  I’d like to get someone, but making the playoffs and then getting somewhere depends on a whole array of things going well, and no one thing will decide it.  

We don't know.

You can't just say well they lost 3-0 so at best they would have lost 3-1.

If Bradish and Co pitch in game two like they did in game one the O's win that game.  If the "Stud FA" pitcher outduels the Rangers in game one the O's are up 2-0.

Being able to slot Bradish and Grayson back one could have been huge.

Do I think that's what would have happened?  Probably not, Rangers got hot at the right time.

But you can't say it wouldn't have made a difference.

12 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Amazing how 100 win seasons are guaranteed from 2023 forward.

You’re getting that from one sardonic remark by Pickles?  I literally don’t think there’s any poster here, Pickles included, who thinks 100 win seasons are guaranteed, or even likely in any specific year.  

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We don't know.

If Bradish and Co pitch in game two like they did in game one the O's win that game.  If the "Stud FA" pitcher outduels the Rangers in game one the O's are up 2-0.

Do I think that's what would have happened?  Probably not, Rangers got hot at the right time.

Or maybe the stud pitcher gets bombed.  Or maybe he’s hurt and not available in the playoffs.   You’re right, we don’t know.  But I certainly wouldn’t assume that anything would nave turned out differently.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Or maybe the stud pitcher gets bombed.  Or maybe he’s hurt and not available in the playoffs.   You’re right, we don’t know.  But I certainly wouldn’t assume that anything would nave turned out differently.  

And I wouldn't assume that things would have turned out the same.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’re getting that from one sardonic remark by Pickles?  I literally don’t think there’s any poster here, Pickles included, who thinks 100 win seasons are guaranteed, or even likely in any specific year.  

I don't know if Pickles thinks that or not.  The other teams in the division, especially the Yankees and Red Sox are looking to improve, so the O's can't stand pat.  Yes, there should be some incremental improvement from the position players, but the O's can't depend guys like Irvin for important stretch run starts and of course the bullpen needs to be better. 

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

I don't know if Pickles thinks that or not.  The other teams in the division, especially the Yankees and Red Sox are looking to improve, so the O's can't stand pat.  Yes, there should be some incremental improvement from the position players, but the O's can't depend guys like Irvin for important stretch run starts and of course the bullpen needs to be better. 

You absolutely have fans here that just point to the 2023 win total to explain away any concern.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You absolutely have fans here that just point to the 2023 win total to explain away any concern.

I think our win total is evidence of two things:

1.  The team we already have is pretty damned good.  

2.  The front office that assembled that team has a pretty good idea of what they’re doing.  

Because of point 2, I trust the front office to decide the extent to which they can rely on internal improvement and the extent to which they need to go out and get outside help.  And we’ve already heard Elias’ views on the areas he’d like to bolster.   We’ll see the extent to which he does it, and how he gets there.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Things went so well after the O's ran away with the division in 2014.  I forget how many games we won the division by in 2015. 

Not really analogous.  We lost three very important players from the 2014 team in Markakis, Cruz and Miller.   Gibson, Frazier and Hicks aren’t of that caliber.  We also got a bit unlucky with Duquette’s efforts to patch together an outfield to replace Markakis and Cruz.  

However, if your point is that 2023 success doesn’t guarantee 2024 success, that’s fair enough.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

We don't know.

Why would they have slotted Bradish and GRod back one for Cease?