Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s a little misleading

How is it misleading? He specifically uses the past tense when referring to the Yankees interest in Cease.

"Yankees were also one of many teams that seriously pursued available White Sox star Dylan Cease."

The Yankees were never going to give up the prospects Getz is asking for after already making a big trade earlier this offseason. There's no indication Getz is going to come down off his price this offseason. Signing Stroman doesn't mean they are all the way out (which I never said) but I don't see how it isn't a total longshot at this point. 

We've been talking about Cease so much that we've either gotten it in our heads that he's a top end starter like 2022 or he's a bum and 2023 is his best version. That said, it's probably more in the middle. If we get Cease, I don't think it'll be at the expense of Mayo or Basallo. If that was the case, I think the trade would've already been made. I'm all on board with getting Cease for a strong 4-prospect package provided that the leading prospect is someone like Ortiz. Will that be enough? I don't know, but obviously no other team has shown a willingness to go where the Sox seem to want. Maybe the Orioles pivot and deal with the Marlins instead and honestly, I'm fine with that too. 

The thing with Cease, is I do think he has the stuff to be VERY good. We saw that in 2022. He also has some command issues. I wonder what getting out of ChiTown will do for him. What our defense will do for him and what Adley behind the dish will do for his leading the league in WPs two of the last three years. His stuff is amazing. It's the command that needs refining and I'm very curious if the Orioles can improve that--or not. 

I don't know if it has been mentioned but I just finished reading the Roch mailbag for today and he seems to be high on Cease / trade still happening.  He thinks the O's are still very interested in Cease.  He also mentions Wells as the favorite to be in the rotation with Kremer if another pitcher wasn't added. 

24 minutes ago, LTO's said:

How is it misleading? He specifically uses the past tense when referring to the Yankees interest in Cease.

"Yankees were also one of many teams that seriously pursued available White Sox star Dylan Cease."

The Yankees were never going to give up the prospects Getz is asking for after already making a big trade earlier this offseason. There's no indication Getz is going to come down off his price this offseason. Signing Stroman doesn't mean they are all the way out (which I never said) but I don't see how it isn't a total longshot at this point. 

Keep going….

, the Yankees saw even less hope anything could be accomplished anytime soon there. 

That’s a far cry from “all but out” 

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Keep going….

, the Yankees saw even less hope anything could be accomplished anytime soon there. 

That’s a far cry from “all but out” 

What? lol  The implication is very obvious. They aren't seriously pursuing him at this point. 

I actually kind of like Paxton on a cheap deal, same with Ryu. It looks like he was pretty solid until he absolutely ran out of gas in his last three starts. If it's Cease + losing 2-3 players who we should be realistically counting on for the next six years, instead of Paxton/Ryu + Hall + Wells + etc, I really think there's a solid argument for the latter option.

I've gotten pretty caught up in the Cease FIP argument, but it admittedly doesn't take into account the quality of contact he gives up. His statcast page really isn't all that impressive outside of 2022, even though his FIP is stable from 2021-2023.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/dylan-cease-656302?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Stroman didn’t have a QO attached. We could have signed him without the pick. Either the Orioles weren’t willing to match/beat the Yankees’ deal or he took less to play there. It seems he prefers New York but that is still a bit surprisingly low deal.

I’m not a Stroman fan but it became apparent he was going to be the best FA SP this offseason signed to a 3 yr or less deal, except for Sonny Gray, who did have the QO. The fact that the Yankees got him for this light of a deal means he either really didn’t want to play here or the Orioles didn’t really value him/go after him, and it’s hard to avoid the conclusion that budget constraints / aversion to multi-year contracts are a factor in that. 

It’s easy to see a lot of the prior free agent contracts go by and say yeah, that wasn’t ever realistic for the Orioles, but Imanaga and Stroman were the first couple for me where it really makes you feel like Angelos has to have Elias’ hands completely tied. 

Was there any solid rumors the O's were even trying to sign him other than the generic interest the O's had in even Nola and Snell.

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

More of the “vs everyone else”

https://nypost.com/2024/01/11/sports/marlins-might-be-willing-to-entertain-luis-arraez-offers/

Heyman talks about the Marlins players being available and that the Os are potentially looking into Paxton. 

Paxton/Ryu seems like the O's choices at this point.  Any even lower rated starters the O's might pursue?  😆

42 minutes ago, LTO's said:

What? lol  The implication is very obvious. They aren't seriously pursuing him at this point. 

No, the implication is that they don’t see a deal happening anytime soon. They clearly need another starter, so they got one of the 2 out of the way.

There is no implication that they are “all but out” with what Heyman is saying.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No, the implication is that they don’t see a deal happening anytime soon. They clearly need another starter, so they got one of the 2 out of the way.

There is no implication that they are “all but out” with what Heyman is saying.

Very clearly is. But common sense could've told you that anyway.

• Haha 1