Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

2 hours ago, deward said:

A process designed around finding Gunnar Hendersons in the 2nd round with any degree of regularity is a process doomed to failure. Good fortune has had a part to play here. 

What about Mayos in the 4th, Hernaiz’ in the 5th, and Ortiz’ in the 4th? Dumb luck? 

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, brooooksy said:

A. We tanked to get here

B. Tampa and Cleveland have been trying to do this, but they always have down years to reload and have never had real success

Since 2008 Tampa has been played to a .548 winning percentage with 9 playoff appearances despite having basically no payroll. I wonder, what do you consider real success? That sure screams a successful org to me.

44 minutes ago, banks703 said:

He should have replaced Jorge on the roster in 23.

I agree.  But they gave Gunnar the long leash and he used it all before turning the corner.  The Rookie Integration Plan is a program under the Liftoff feature.  Raise the floor surrounded by stability.  And 101 wins later Ortiz is still a depth chart body count.  Still some time on the clock though…

11 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Making playoffs 5 years in a row and the WS in One of those 5 is not “real success”? 

No, apparently. I guess only one team is successful each season by the logic of that poster, which is dumbfounding, but hey, we get a lot of that around here.

2 minutes ago, brooooksy said:

I thought we were trying to win the World Series here like the other teams I mentioned

Sure.  Thats the goal.  But if you deem the team not successful if they don’t win the WS, not sure what to tell you.  WS is a roll of the dice.  Making the playoffs is success.  Making the WS is incredible success.  Winning the  WS is luck.  I love watching good baseball night after night.  Not gonna say they aren’t successful if they don’t with the WS.  Maybe if I were a dodgers fan and my team had won the division a million times in a row and went out and spent $2BB I’d say it’s WS or bust, but I watch the Baltimore team.  

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

Since 2008 Tampa has been played to a .548 winning percentage with 9 playoff appearances despite having basically no payroll. I wonder, what do you consider real success? That sure screams a successful org to me.

They haven’t won anything.

they rebuilt 2014-2018. What this poster is arguing is that what the orioles are doing now will somehow not require a rebuild

They’re obviously successful, but limited by their payroll from making a sustained run or winning it all. 

BTW - their most recent run is inflated by the tanking orioles throwing games (8-32)

5 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Sure.  Thats the goal.  But if you deem the team not successful if they don’t win the WS, not sure what to tell you.  WS is a roll of the dice.  Making the playoffs is success.  Making the WS is incredible success.  Winning the  WS is luck.  I love watching good baseball night after night.  Not gonna say they aren’t successful if they don’t with the WS.  Maybe if I were a dodgers fan and my team had won the division a million times in a row and went out and spent $2BB I’d say it’s WS or bust, but I watch the Baltimore team.  

If you feel this way (I do) you should be fundamentally opposed to tanking.

however, the orioles went ahead and tanked to give themselves a competitive advantage and making their team difficult to watch for years. So in context no, shooting to average 88 wins is not good enough.

12 minutes ago, Malike said:

No, apparently. I guess only one team is successful each season by the logic of that poster, which is dumbfounding, but hey, we get a lot of that around here.

We’re talking about sustained success, because the guy I’m talking to thinks the orioles are going to reload forever without ever rebuilding, apparently, which no team has done.

We’re talking about sustained success, because the guy I’m talking to thinks the orioles are going to reload forever without ever rebuilding, apparently, which no team has done.

Yankess have managed decade long stretches.  Cards just had a 15 year stretch at or above .500.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yankess have managed decade long stretches.  Cards just had a 15 year stretch at or above .500.

Yeah, and they spend money. They don’t do it by trading away their arb eligible players 

If they keep doing what they are doing both in the draft and internationally, which we're really not used to this team being competent at for the past couple of decades, it should help mitigate a full rebuild. Yes, we suffered through horrible seasons, we drafted well and hit on players we had to hit on, but that doesn't mean we'll be in full rebuild mode in the upcoming future if they keep doing what they are doing.

29 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

😂. Ok he performed admirably 

Ok Captain Hindsight, so every minor leaguer that doesn't perform right out of the gate is considered "rushed"? Cowser had nothing left to prove at AAA and using a sample size of 61 MLB ABs to judge a player is almost as silly as using wins to evaluate a pitcher's ability/skill set. Almost.