Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

36 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I see the WS fan who was posting here is saying Mayo, Westburg (one of the options) and Beavers. 

He’s delusional too. 

He’s just saying that he wouldn’t do a trade without one of Mayo/Kjerstad/Cowser + one of Ortiz/Norby/Westburg and a good 3rd piece.  He and another poster acknowledged that Basallo + Mayo is delusional.   He’s pretty reasonable.  Doesn’t mean he’s going to get what he wants.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

He’s just saying that he wouldn’t do a trade without one of Mayo/Kjerstad/Cowser + one of Ortiz/Norby/Westburg and a good 3rd piece.  He and another poster acknowledged that Basallo + Norby is delusional.   He’s pretty reasonable.  Doesn’t mean he’s going to get what he wants.

I think something around Kjerstad or Cowser + Ortiz or Norby or Westburg + a third piece like Beavers could be fair and might actually happen.

I highly doubt they trade either Mayo or Basallo. They have enough 23-25-year-olds who are doing well in AAA and are ML-ready. They aren't going to give up a 21-year-old with a .900+ OPS at AAA with big-time power and Basallo is probably as untouchable as Holliday right now.

• Upvote 2

If - and it could be a big if - Valdez and Luzardo actually are options, then that should temper expectations for how much the WS can expect to get from the O’s for Cease.

I’ve argued for Cease for a while now and he would still be a good get, but my preference is for Valdez, Cease and Luzardo in that order and I would begrudgingly settle for a one-year stopgap if it meant keeping Mayo, Holliday and Basallo.

1 hour ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

White Sox board having a debate over how reasonable it is to demand both Mayo AND Basallo right now for Cease 😂

I imagine this is because this proposal came up in MLBTR's last live chat. The host - I think it was Steve - insinuated that it would definitely get Chicago's attention but ultimately might not be enough. I find that absolutely laughable. 

EDIT: It was Mark, not Steve.

Edited by interloper

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

I imagine this is because this proposal came up in MLBTR's last live chat. The host - I think it was Steve - insinuated that it would definitely get Chicago's attention but ultimately might not be enough. I find that absolutely laughable. 

How incredibly overrated Cease is in the media is very unhelpful. They all see him as the 2022 version. 

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

That chat question might as well have been answered by a child who knows nothing.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

If - and it could be a big if - Valdez and Luzardo actually are options, then that should temper expectations for how much the WS can expect to get from the O’s for Cease.

I’ve argued for Cease for a while now and he would still be a good get, but my preference is for Valdez, Cease and Luzardo in that order and I would begrudgingly settle for a one-year stopgap if it meant keeping Mayo, Holliday and Basallo.

I agree with the 3 SP ranking.  Cease has it in the tank to push Framber at the top IMO.  And Luzardo is the Hall-esque upside dice roll consolation prize that keeps the real Hall in the pen.

I doubt those 3 prospects are traded (and HK).  Pretty much anyone else in AA or AAA are available.  “Can a package of other guys get it done for Valdez or Cease” is the big question.

2 hours ago, dystopia said:

How incredibly overrated Cease is in the media is very unhelpful. They all see him as the 2022 version. 

It’s irrelevant what the media thinks.  What’s relevant is the opinions of the other GMs who would like to acquire Cease, and the White Sox’s own opinion. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

That chat question might as well have been answered by a child who knows nothing.

This is a bit much.

All he's saying is that Chicago might not take that deal. And they might not, even if it is a fair or better return for Cease, because Chicago seems to be overvaluing him. Maybe that's a negotiating tactic, or maybe they don't want to trade him unless they're really blown away. That does seem to be the case. Case in point: they haven't traded Cease.

6 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

This is a bit much.

All he's saying is that Chicago might not take that deal. And they might not, even if it is a fair or better return for Cease, because Chicago seems to be overvaluing him. Maybe that's a negotiating tactic, or maybe they don't want to trade him unless they're really blown away. That does seem to be the case. Case in point: they haven't traded Cease.

No, it’s not a bit much. It was an uneducated comment. It wreaks of someone who doesn’t know much about those 2 prospects.

18 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

After watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpAwMyCZG14

I'm just not certain he would fit in Balmer....

Was it the fact he looks like hard worker, seems like a good guy, has a good looking girlfriend, and squirts cats with water when they get on the counters? What's not to like? 

Also after looking at his paintings, we know he's not giving up baseball to become an artist! :D

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Was it the fact he looks like hard worker, seems like a good guy, has a good looking girlfriend, and squirts cats with water when they get on the counters? What's not to like? 

Also after looking at his paintings, we know he's not giving up baseball to become an artist! :D

Maybe he could learn to express his art in Legos.  Seems like a good dude for sure but he'll need a dog.  The girlfriend must be a really great person or something.