BRob News to Come on Thursday?

Aglets

I like the stats that say so and so was worth this in 2008....It is an interesting stat to go off of and judge value.

The problem with that stat is it pretty much ignores the market and it ignores the simple economic point of, you are worth what someone will pay for you.

Yes, BRob has been worth such and such over the past 5 years...But I guarantee you that if he asked for that amount of money 5 years ago, he would have been laughed out hysterically.

Its just not realistic in terms of ACTUAL money.

IMO $$$$$ is not EVERYTHING:rolleyestf:

Brian Roberts :hearts: is priclesss:clap3::wedge: and I am not talking about money!!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd be careful about guessing what next year's market will be like. I think the O's walked into the 2004-05 offseason expecting it to be a buyer's market like the 2003-04 offseason had been, and then they were caught flat-footed when it turned out there were a lot of aggressive bidders. Next winter could be even worse than this one (from the players' standpoint), or it could be much better.

I think Brian is in a unique spot among 2B. He's not a super-stud like Chase Utley or Jeff Kent in his prime, but he's not your run-of the mill "good hitter for a second baseman" either. He's a pretty ideal leadoff hitter who gets on base a lot, hits doubles and steals a lot of bases, and his defense is very solid. He's worth a fair amount.

The economy is slow moving. Its probably going to be either the same or worst next season. How about 4 year for 32 million.

I don't see the reason to get this done now other than to appease the fans.

That's not the reasosn to do it now. The reason to do it now is to resolve a long-standing issue, so that everybody knows what's what... including AM as he goes about solving the problems that he still has to deal with. His list of problems is mainly about the IF, and re-upping BRob scratches one of those problems off his near-term list. It's mainly about making progress solving problems, not about appeasing anybody.

That's not the reasosn to do it now. The reason to do it now is to resolve a long-standing issue, so that everybody knows what's what... including AM as he goes about solving the problems that he still has to deal with. His list of problems is mainly about the IF, and re-upping BRob scratches one of those problems off his near-term list. It's mainly about making progress solving problems, not about appeasing anybody.

True, and it's also about allowing the player to operate with some piece of mind. That's not the most important thing in the world, but it's not insignificant, either.

He can sign him during the season or after the season...or he could look to deal him.

Here is what I know...AM wanted to trade BRob this offseason...He tried to push him on the White Sox...When that didn't happen and there was no market for him, he decided that signing him was the best thing to do because he likely values him for 3 years over the picks...Fine but that can still happen in June or July or next December...The market for BRob isn't going to be so crazy that we have to get into a bidding war for him.

And even though he says he doesn't want to negotiate during the season, when the economy effects baseball as bad(or even worse) than it already is, BRob and his agent will talk extension IMO.

He can sign him during the season or after the season...or he could look to deal him.

Here is what I know...AM wanted to trade BRob this offseason...He tried to push him on the White Sox...When that didn't happen and there was no market for him, he decided that signing him was the best thing to do because he likely values him for 3 years over the picks...Fine but that can still happen in June or July or next December...The market for BRob isn't going to be so crazy that we have to get into a bidding war for him.

And even though he says he doesn't want to negotiate during the season, when the economy effects baseball as bad(or even worse) than it already is, BRob and his agent will talk extension IMO.

Well, if AM gets BRob to re-up, then that means that AM disagrees with the various value judgments you are making here.

Here is what I know...AM wanted to trade BRob this offseason...He tried to push him on the White Sox...When that didn't happen and there was no market for him, he decided that signing him was the best thing to do because he likely values him for 3 years over the picks...

Show me where AM tried to push BRob on the White Sox. AM said at the very beginning of the offseason that his first option was to keep BRob. He's been very consistent on this all offseason long (as opposed to last offseason when he was much more noncommital).

Show me where AM tried to push BRob on the White Sox. AM said at the very beginning of the offseason that his first option was to keep BRob. He's been very consistent on this all offseason long (as opposed to last offseason when he was much more noncommital).

Well, we know the whole BRob/Floyd fiasco.

For what I was told, AM was the one making the calls and trying to deal him for Floyd and Getz.

For what I was told, AM was the one making the calls and trying to deal him for Floyd and Getz.

I don't think we all do. This is the first time I've heard itwas a fiasco. How so? What major blunder did AM make this time? Every thing I've read is that is was something that came up in passing during the winter meetings but wasn't dicussed thereafter. Primarily because Williams didn't think he could afford to give up a SP this season. What exactly did your source say?

How can something be a fiasco when no one knows anything about it until weeks later. From what I have read MacPhail and Williams talked. Williams wanted to give less then MacPhail wanted. They both when off to find other deals. The public did not know about it until weeks later.

Your definition of a fiasco is way different from mine.

Archived