Team Store Workers To Picket On Black Friday

Can_of_corn

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Are you actually that ignorant of basic economic theory?

And you're a business owner?

Yikes.

This is now boring me, I'm out before we start violating board rules.

You don’t think an increase in wages causes products to go up?  Are you that stupid?  Read about small biz owners in California. It’s killing their businesses because they have to sell their products at a cost that hurts their sales. 

This is common sense. 

Edited by Sports Guy

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Is this another one of your awful attempts at being witty?  I’m guessing you have a point here but this is a pretty stupid question.

No.  I'm genuinely curious.

To use an imperfect comparison, someone who sells Porsches doesn't really have a lot of selling to do.  Anyone who steps on the lot already knows what they're looking at.  Anyone selling for Microsoft doesn't have to explain what they're selling...anyone on the other end of the phone already has a good idea of what to offer.

So from your perspective, what was it like selling for the Orioles when you're selling to customers who already knew about the product?  IIRC you were selling at a time when the Orioles were bad, I'm assuming it was a tough sell.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

No.  I'm genuinely curious.

To use an imperfect comparison, someone who sells Porsches doesn't really have a lot of selling to do.  Anyone who steps on the lot already knows what they're looking at.  Anyone selling for Microsoft doesn't have to explain what they're selling...anyone on the other end of the phone already has a good idea of what to offer.

So from your perspective, what was it like selling for the Orioles when you're selling to customers who already knew about the product?  IIRC you were selling at a time when the Orioles were bad, I'm assuming it was a tough sell.

Well first of all, people don’t know products in any industry. They may know, in this instance, that it’s a ticket but most people don’t know the different plans, different seats, where is good, where is not good, what perks they get, etc…

If you aren’t educating a person on a product you are selling, no matter what it is, you aren’t doing your job and you are doing that person a disservice. No matter what knowledge they have, they should leave you with more knowledge than they had when they came to you.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well first of all, people don’t know products in any industry. They may know, in this instance, that it’s a ticket but most people don’t know the different plans, different seats, where is good, where is not good, what perks they get, etc…

If you aren’t educating a person on a product you are selling, no matter what it is, you aren’t doing your job and you are doing that person a disservice. No matter what knowledge they have, they should leave you with more knowledge than they had when they came to you.

Fair and good points.

But what was the strategy behind trying to sell to the "I hate Angelos" crowd and the "Is Jay Gibbons the best player they have?" group?  I'd imagine there's only so only so much that different plans and different perks can do to combat that.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Fair and good points.

But what was the strategy behind trying to sell to the "I hate Angelos" crowd and the "Is Jay Gibbons the best player they have?" group?  I'd imagine there's only so only so much that different plans and different perks can do to combat that.

That’s where his personal charm came in handy.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is that what happened?

He used it all up selling season tickets and this is what we are left with?

“If you can’t afford a full plan you’re probably a loser.  How would you like me to look into a mini plan for you”?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Fair and good points.

No real strategy. Most people who would call would want this product. You just had to explain to them what was available, where to sit, where not to sit.

The complaining we had to deal with, w/r/t what you are talking about was more day of game stuff, people complaining shout return policy (which was the best in the league), etc…

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No real strategy. Most people who would call would want this product. You just had to explain to them what was available, where to sit, where not to sit.

The complaining we had to deal with, w/r/t what you are talking about was more day of game stuff, people complaining shout return policy (which was the best in the league), etc…

What was the amount of inbound people calling in to buy tickets vs. cold calls off a list?  Or following up with previous ticket plan holders who hadn't purchased in a few years, etc.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What was the amount of inbound people calling in to buy tickets vs. cold calls off a list?  Or following up with previous ticket plan holders who hadn't purchased in a few years, etc.

We didn’t cold call. Iirc (it’s been 20 years), it was more direct mailing and things like that.  We were constantly sending out crap like that…of course, it was incredibly disorganized when we did it.