Athletic, Maeda an option for Orioles (Signs 2 year deal with Detroit)

Roll Tide

1 hour ago, Orioles0615 said:

Good another mediocre starter off the board that the O's can't sign. Jeff Passion said it best "Detroit all over mid-tier pitching"

The Orioles don't need mid-tier pitching

Agree that the O's need to aim higher.  You have to believe that the O's could have matched this offer too, even if you're in the "JA isn't going to spend anything" camp.  I'll take that as a good sign until proven otherwise.

If you are a Lyles-Gibson incremental believer, the FA box from presumed 9-13 AAV now looks like:

13 - Lugo, Wacha

12 - Clevinger, Manaea (Gibson and Maeda gone from this group)

10 - Flaherty, Lorenzen, Ryu, Severino (L. Lynn gone from this group)

9 - Nick Martinez

Tonight's Maeda report makes 3 out of the 12 taken.

Below is Wade Miley, above is Lucas Giolito.

How much should Mike Elias having beaten opponents once already for Jack Flaherty shape our expectations in this particular sandbox?     Flaherty and Amed Rosario are I believe the only Age 28's for 2024 in Fangraphs Top 50 list.

"We're getting Jack Flaherty back" would be quite the low wattage outcome for entertainment purposes.     How'd he get along with the boys?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

Good another mediocre starter off the board that the O's can't sign. Jeff Passion said it best "Detroit all over mid-tier pitching"

I agree, who is he even a substantial upgrade over worth 12mil per? 

• Roll Tide changed the title to Athletic, Maeda an option for Orioles (Signs 2 year deal with Detroit)
14 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

If you toss out Maeda's 10 run / 3 innning outing last season when he was very clearly pitching hurt he would have finished with a 3.47 ERA for the season. If you want to question his ability to stay healthy that's fine, but to call him mediocre is ridiculous. Signing Maeda wouldn't have been the flashiest move, but he would have been a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over someone like GIbson 

9 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Maeda hasn't pitched more than 106 innings in a season since 2019 when he pitched 153 innings. Maeda isn't an innings eater and is pretty average the last couple years.

Hopefully we don't look back on this later wishing we had signed or traded for a pitcher of this caliber.

He's definitely not an innings eater, but if you dig into the numbers a bit more (see my prior post) he was actually pretty great when he was healthy last season. 

11 hours ago, Winter said:

I agree, who is he even a substantial upgrade over worth 12mil per? 

If you toss out Maeda's 10 run / 3 innning outing last season when he was very clearly pitching hurt he would have finished with a 3.47 ERA for the season.  Remind me again how many SPs on our staff last season had a sub 3.50 ERA? 

1 hour ago, HakunaSakata said:

If you toss out Maeda's 10 run / 3 innning outing last season when he was very clearly pitching hurt he would have finished with a 3.47 ERA for the season. If you want to question his ability to stay healthy that's fine, but to call him mediocre is ridiculous. Signing Maeda wouldn't have been the flashiest move, but he would have been a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over someone like GIbson 

Depends how you look at things I guess.  Gibson made 17 quality starts last year, Maeda made 6.