New DBacks Ticket promotion

Sports Guy

Agree that OF Upper Reserve seats would be great for this. Hopefully entices folks that live within 30 mins of the ballpark to go to more games spontaneously. More fans almost assuredly means more revenue overall. 

The question for me becomes, let's say I buy a pair of these tickets. Are those two seats simply blacked out all season? I assume so. Makes me wonder whether they'd let folks choose their seats or if they'd try to organize these purchases in any way.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I’d bet on some info coming out about it if it’s a success.

I wonder how the DBacks will do next year compared to the O’s.  This year they had 1.968 mm, the O’s had 1.937 mm.  In the last decade, the DBacks’ high water mark was 2.243 mm, the O’s was 2.464 mm.  The O’s had a bigger increase this year, so it might be that the DBacks have more room for an increase next year.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I wonder how the DBacks will do next year compared to the O’s.  This year they had 1.968 mm, the O’s had 1.937 mm.  In the last decade, the DBacks’ high water mark was 2.243 mm, the O’s was 2.464 mm.  The O’s had a bigger increase this year, so it might be that the DBacks have more room for an increase next year.  

Arizona is also far more likely to actually attempt to get better and capitalize on what they just did too. If that happens, that will help drive up sales even more.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Arizona is also far more likely to actually attempt to get better and capitalize on what they just did too. If that happens, that will help drive up sales even more.

They have a lot more room to get better, record-wise.  The O’s basically have nowhere to go but down, even if the team has better talent.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They have a lot more room to get better, record-wise.  The O’s basically have nowhere to go but down, even if the team has better talent.   

Thats irrelevant. The Os have just as much work to do..they are very similar teams in how they are constructed, how they have a lot of long term cheap contracts and how they both are in need of pitching.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Thats irrelevant. The Os have just as much work to do..they are very similar teams in how they are constructed, how they have a lot of long term cheap contracts and how they both are in need of pitching.

It’s relevant to attendance.  The increase in enthusiasm in-season for a 101-win team is greater than the increase in enthusiasm for an 84-win team.   So the DBacks can probably add a lot to attendance if they can win 90+ next year, whereas it will be tougher for the O’s to add if they are slipping down in wins.  That’s all I’m saying.  I’m pretty sure both teams will see increases in attendance next year based on season ticket sales this offseason, but the DBacks may see a greater walk-up increase if they have a significant win increase over 2023.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

The DBacks will absolutely know how many of these packages sold and how that attendance compares to last years attendance in those sections.

What they won’t know is if they never offered this package, would those tickets have been bought anyway.

However,  chances are they are offering this package in an area/sections of the stadium that rarely sell, so the increase will be obvious.  You never know the effect on concessions for any of these things but you do know that the average family spends X amount of dollars, so you kind of base things off of that.

The attachment rate for concessions (parking included) is much smaller than most think.  Deloitte did a study for the Orioles 20 years ago showing they generate $1 in OI for every $5 in ticket sales. 

Remember concessions are not pure profit, the Orioles likely work off 40-50% commission (Md also gets their cut) then you have additional staffing and security expenses.  The other issue is that budget conscious fans tend to buy less expensive food and drink like 410.  In models I have seen premium seating alone creates almost double the revenue all of concessions and parking provide.

I'm sure Arizona has a business plan behind the offer but I would guess it's very limited and really question the timing when you are trying to sell season ticket packages.

• Upvote 1

Here’s the link at Diamondbacks’ site which answers a number of FAQ’s that have been popping up in this thread.  https://www.mlb.com/dbacks/tickets/packs/ballpark-season-pass
It’s highly dependent upon the purchaser being “ App savvy”.   Availability is limited but certainly seems like a great holiday season sales tool.   Can even coordinate with others who have bought the package to “sit with friends” at individual games.   Here’s the thing, until just before each individual series starts you will not know where the seats you will be offered are located.   You may be offered “upgrade options” however.  I would imagine those upgrades will be dynamically priced for highly popular games.   I for one don’t see the traditional season ticket holder with seats they are accustomed to switching to something like this.   You want your good familiar seat for the big games not random assignments that you need to act upon prior to each series.   It is a great promotion concept though.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d be worried about the people who otherwise would have bought more expensive tickets, but chose these instead.  I guess we’ll see how it plays out.  The DBacks are likely to have a good increase anyway due to their WS run and exciting young team, so it’ll be hard to separate out that effect vs. the ticket promotion from publicly available information.  

Honestly, as someone who sits between the dugouts with my season tickets the past decade, I have no interest in this at all.  

They’re hoping people buy it and kinda forget they have it.  It is doubtful that the person who buys it will want to sit in nosebleeds/SRO every game.  If they do, they are probably the person who is going to spend a crap-ton of money on booze and such.  

The other person who buys this is the 13/29 game STH who likes their seats and maybe wants to go to more.  I know a guy who is a ballhawk who will do this, but he also doesn’t buy anything else at the stadium while there.  This is also the guy who is more than happy to get there early for Batting Practice to catch baseballs, and at OPACY, will just be happy on the flag court trying to catch home runs. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

The DBacks, despite their mediocre in season record reached the World Series.  The O's won a lot more regular season games, but lost in their first round.  I would predict a bigger bump for Arizona based on a longer postseason run.

3 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I know a guy who is a ballhawk who will do this, but he also doesn’t buy anything else at the stadium while there.  This is also the guy who is more than happy to get there early for Batting Practice to catch baseballs, and at OPACY, will just be happy on the flag court trying to catch home runs. 

What does he end up doing with his balls?

On 11/26/2023 at 3:07 PM, DirtyBird said:

What does he end up doing with his balls?

I used to see him give baseballs to kids but not so much anymore.  

“Know a guy” is probably not the best description, but I’ve seen him and interacted with him for years.  He’s not a super douche like Hample, but he’s not giving away every ball that he doesn’t catch.  He is super friendly with the players though, and they seem to like him.  

On 11/26/2023 at 11:47 AM, JimGinSP said:

Here’s the link at Diamondbacks’ site which answers a number of FAQ’s that have been popping up in this thread.  https://www.mlb.com/dbacks/tickets/packs/ballpark-season-pass
It’s highly dependent upon the purchaser being “ App savvy”.   Availability is limited but certainly seems like a great holiday season sales tool.   Can even coordinate with others who have bought the package to “sit with friends” at individual games.   Here’s the thing, until just before each individual series starts you will not know where the seats you will be offered are located.   You may be offered “upgrade options” however.  I would imagine those upgrades will be dynamically priced for highly popular games.   I for one don’t see the traditional season ticket holder with seats they are accustomed to switching to something like this.   You want your good familiar seat for the big games not random assignments that you need to act upon prior to each series.   It is a great promotion concept though.   

I could definitely see an app type thing working well with this kind of promotion. You would login and find your free seats options. then you would be given "upgrade" options around the stadium. Basically it encourages people to come out to more games overall and makes it a little bit fun to sit in different areas. 

I'd offer a promotion where a percentage of fans buy these packages would be offered box seats for each game making it almost like a lottery where fans would be checking each day to see if they won the better seats.