Poll: Roberts for 4/44?

ChaosLex

Do you like a 4/44 deal for BRob?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like a 4/44 deal for BRob?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another signing this off-season that might have an effect on the B-Rob negotiations is the extension Dustin Pedroia signed for 6yrs/40.5M...Go O's!!!
Pedroia got about $11M a year for the 2 FA years that were bought out. Those are 5 years away, so they lowered the salary in those years to offset the risk that they are taking on by guaranteeing him money. If he was a FA a year from now instead of 4 years from now, he would have gotten probably $13-15M annually for several years.

In other words, Pedroia isn't a relevant comparison to Roberts.

Pedroia got about $11M a year for the 2 FA years that were bought out. Those are 5 years away, so they lowered the salary in those years to offset the risk that they are taking on by guaranteeing him money. If he was a FA a year from now instead of 4 years from now, he would have gotten probably $13-15M annually for several years.

In other words, Pedroia isn't a relevant comparison to Roberts.

He's as relevant as anything else. There is just as much risk (actually, more risk) in where Roberts will be 3-4 years from now compared to where Pedroia will be. So if Pederoia (discounted for risk) is worth $11 mm in 2013, Roberts should be worth less.

Like the 4 years, alot! ... personally, I never really cared about the amount that players get. It's not my money (as long as ticket and beer prices don't go up too high). Seems like a muchly need icon like Brob is worth $10-12 million year... but what do I know, I'm retired.

It is scary so many people would be okay with that contract. We are by most accounts two years off from any sort of contention. Two of those four years would be wasted on a 4th or 5th place finish. Come 2011 and hopefully a climb in the standings he will be 33. Plus take in account O. Hudson is begging teams to give him 1 year @ 5 million. This IMO would be Andy first mistake this winter.

I am sorry but I ahve to disagree. The team does not have a 2nd baseman that can come in to take his place. Freel might be able to hold down 2nd for a little while. Wiggy? Well, I odn't know if he can play 2nd. I don't beleive Scotty can or Mora can either. Roberts is a very good player. I beleive it is time to extend him and get on with ST. IMO

I was the first, I believe, to bring up the idea on here of tearing up the 2009 deal and giving him 3 years total.

If AM is doing that, which I am going to still doubt, then it won't be the worst contract ever given.

But if he's not, its a poor contract.

Either way, I wouldn't give him the contract, at least not right now.

I would prefer 3 years with an option for four but I have no problem with tour. I think he'll be a solid player for at least 3 of those 4 years and at least league average for the final year. Wile the market value for him is down I think that you also have to consider the value of his production for the team in terms of their needs. Unless there is some MiL phenom out there we haven't heard about there are no better 2B options out there for the next 3-4years at least, IMO.

Why should roberts get as much as kakes?

That makes no sense to me and i think it would be a shame to spend that much money on him.

The 2 contracts have nothing to do with each other.

BRob is getting paid in his FA years...Nick is getting paid for his arbitration and FA years..In his FA years, he will make more than BRob..But the arbitration years bring the value per year down...In other words, think service time.

The 2 contracts have nothing to do with each other.

BRob is getting paid in his FA years...Nick is getting paid for his arbitration and FA years..In his FA years, he will make more than BRob..But the arbitration years bring the value per year down...In other words, think service time.

Okay i understand that but how much does that bring it down per year? I mean technically he still would be getting the same per year, so how can you justify it? By saying it was when they made their contracts?

I know we got a great deal for kakes but having b-rob making as much as him (whether through FA or FA + arbitration) is ridiculous.

Okay i understand that but how much does that bring it down per year? I mean technically he still would be getting the same per year, so how can you justify it? By saying it was when they made their contracts?

I know we got a great deal for kakes but having b-rob making as much as him (whether through FA or FA + arbitration) is ridiculous.

Not really. Nick is making $4.1 mm in 2009, $7.85 mm in 2010, and $10.25 mm in 2011, all before he would have been eligible for free agency. (That includes his $2.1 mm signing bonus paid partially in 2009 and partially in 2010.) In his three free agent years he's getting $12 mm/$15 mm/$15 mm, plus a $17.5 mm option with a $2 mm buyout. That's a lot more than BRob will earn in his deal.

The annual amount for guys who sign deals covering some of their arb, or even pre-arb in cases like Pedroia or Longoria, is not equal to the total guaranteed money divided by the total years of the contract.

The fact that players would only get next to nothing in pre-arb years, and then about 1/3 of FA value in their 1st arb year, 1/2 of FA value in their second, and about 3/4 of FA value in their 3rd arb year is an undeniable fact, and thusly the team and player have to take that into account when negotiating.

Markakis' deal will average $11M over 6 years, but his FA years were signed for closer to $15M than that $11M average.

Archived