Poll: Roberts for 4/44?

ChaosLex

Do you like a 4/44 deal for BRob?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like a 4/44 deal for BRob?

This looks to me like a Melvin Mora situation all over again. Roberts is the type of guy that you have to pay. He means a lot to the team and is a guy who actually wants to play here.

I don't like the idea of 11 million a year for Roberts, but is it worth 11 million to the Orioles to keep him in orange and black? Should Roberts be penalized for having the bad luck to go on the FA market during an economic collapse after he has been such a good part of the Orioles so far?

There are a lot of factors to consider and many viewpoints. Right now, I don't like the dollar value much at all.

Why? Because the fans like him?

And why does he have to be paid now? Why not wait and see how things go with the market over the next season?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And why does he have to be paid now? Why not wait and see how things go with the market over the next season?

Face it, he has been a fairly lone bright spot over the past 11 years. And despite the Mitchell Report has been a model citizen off the diamond.

Mora's situation worked out well and we all pretty much agreed he earned his money.

I would rather keep Roberts happy. The Orioles are not dealing from a position of strength with Roberts. they have attempted to deal him to no avail, they would look terrible to let him walk and Roberts has threatened to do as much.

By waiting you risk the market rebounding and getting stuck with a worse deal.

Which is worse, the devil you know or the devil you don't? AM chose the former. Again, I think it is too much money but Roberts has been as close to a marquee player the Orioles have had over the last decade and one of the few ones that was a legit homegrown, face-of-the-org type guy.

Again, don't like the dollars but you have to pay up sometimes.

For one thing, if we did that, we'd take the risk that BRob just goes into the FA market and signs somewhere else, and we now need to downgrade at 2B. Ever hear of Mike Mussina or B.J. Ryan?

I also think that most organizations don't leave their best players, who have performed well for the team over a considerable length of time, dangling in the wind.

The approach the O's are taking may not minimize the dollars we have to pay BRob, or the exposure to the risk that BRob declines, but it eliminates the risk that we lose a very good player, and alienate fans and teammates in the process.

For one thing, if we did that, we'd take the risk that BRob just goes into the FA market and signs somewhere else, and we now need to downgrade at 2B. Ever hear of Mike Mussina or B.J. Ryan?

I also think that most organizations don't leave their best players, who have performed well for the team over a considerable length of time, dangling in the wind.

The approach the O's are taking may not minimize the dollars we have to pay BRob, or the exposure to the risk that BRob declines, but it eliminates the risk that we lose a very good player, and alienate fans and teammates in the process.

There's definitely something to this. I don't think we should overestimate externalities, but they exist. SG pretty clearly doesn't believe in - or at least place much value in - externalities.

Exactly, I mean the math might not be great, but this certainly isn't a franchise killing risk we are taking here. Call it a C- for AM if you want, but at the end of the day Roberts probably leaves the game as an Oriole.

Different market..Different situation.

And the alienating the fans argument is a pretty convenient argument to make at times. People like to use it at times and swat it away at other times.

SG pretty clearly doesn't believe in - or at least place much value in - externalities.

I think SG knows they exist, he just doesn't place much value in them.

I work at a large law firm. Other competing firms are laying off younger lawyers, and cutting salaries. We aren't. Why? One, because we place value on being loyal. Two, because we believe that loyalty will be reciprocated and pay dividends when times aren't as tough.

In the O's case, the "externalities" also have a certain dollar value. BRob is a much-beloved player, and every franchise needs a few of those to maintain a loyal fan base.

I'd prefer something like 3/27. I don't like 3/30, and I certainly would not like 4/40 or 4/44. Too much money. Brian Roberts is a small fella, who has only put together 3 above average seasons at 2B. I like that he's been consistent since coming off his injury, but I don't like that he's 31.

I'd really like to know if it's 4/40 as a new contract, or 4/40 as an extension. If it's an extension, We're talking about having him at 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 years of age.

I'm not too pissed off at it. I think it's the classic case of overpaying, and Brian Roberts, barring injury, should be able to put up average or slightly below average numbers as he approaches his mid 30s.

To those that say Brian Roberts WANTS to play here. I don't know if that's always been the case. He's certainly flip flopped over the last few years, mostly due to a poorly run organization that, at the time, had no direction whatsoever...well, aside from going backwards. Has he had a change of heart? He says he loves the city and he loves the organization, but he wants to win. The Orioles are trying to show a dedication to win, but let's see it happen. But let's not paint Brian Roberts as a player that wanted/wants to stay here no matter what.

I think SG knows they exist, he just doesn't place much value in them.

I work at a large law firm. Other competing firms are laying off younger lawyers, and cutting salaries. We aren't. Why? One, because we place value on being loyal. Two, because we believe that loyalty will be reciprocated and pay dividends when times aren't as tough.

In the O's case, the "externalities" also have a certain dollar value. BRob is a much-beloved player, and every franchise needs a few of those to maintain a loyal fan base.

Yes. Same situation here. Our partners even accepted lower profits to keep our bonuses in line with previous years. It's an equitable approach based on similar thinking.

I'd prefer something like 3/27. I don't like 3/30, and I certainly would not like 4/40 or 4/44. Too much money. Brian Roberts is a small fella, who has only put together 3 above average seasons at 2B. I like that he's been consistent since coming off his injury, but I don't like that he's 31.

I'd really like to know if it's 4/40 as a new contract, or 4/40 as an extension. If it's an extension, We're talking about having him at 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 years of age.

I'm not too pissed off at it. I think it's the classic case of overpaying, and Brian Roberts, barring injury, should be able to put up average or slightly below average numbers as he approaches his mid 30s.

To those that say Brian Roberts WANTS to play here. I don't know if that's always been the case. He's certainly flip flopped over the last few years, mostly due to a poorly run organization that, at the time, had no direction whatsoever...well, aside from going backwards. Has he had a change of heart? He says he loves the city and he loves the organization, but he wants to win. The Orioles are trying to show a dedication to win, but let's see it happen. But let's not paint Brian Roberts as a player that wanted/wants to stay here no matter what.

Above what average?

Different market..Different situation.

And the alienating the fans argument is a pretty convenient argument to make at times. People like to use it at times and swat it away at other times.

The risk of losing BRob is pretty much the same as the risk of losing Mussina or Ryan by letting them go into their contract year. The Yankees are unhappy with Cano. The Mets are unhappy with Castillo. What are the chances that one or both of them go hard after BRob if he's available next winter? Quite high, I'd say.

Above what average?

Merely basing on OPS+. His 05, 07, and 08 campaigns. One could contend that his 06 season was an aberration, but I'm just going off the numbers. I do like, however, that he started stringing together plus seasons within the last few seasons, as opposed to right out of the gates and then being inconsistent.

Merely basing on OPS+. His 05, 07, and 08 campaigns. One could contend that his 06 season was an aberration, but I'm just going off the numbers. I do like, however, that he started stringing together plus seasons within the last few seasons, as opposed to right out of the gates and then being inconsistent.

In 2006 he was coming back from arm surgury and had a groin issue that year as well. He probably wasn't in baseball shape at the start of the season because he spent so much time in rehab. I personally felt that B-Rob's 2006 season was pretty good for a guy who suffered a career threatening injury in September of 2005.

I actually went to the first spring training game he came back in. Spring Break in Miami....

....... with the girlfriend.

Archived