Closer carousel

Just Regular

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The 2023 trade deadline?

I get it, but that's in the rear view mirror now and the next few months are going to be really critical IMO.  Too critical to screw around with the likes of Aroldis Chapman and all his baggage.

On 11/27/2023 at 8:11 PM, HakunaSakata said:

I'd be fine with them bolstering the bullpen and going int the season with Wells as the closer. My personal / probably somewhat affordable favorites would be Hudson and Moore. Neris and Robertson would be good too, but I think someone will overpay for them. 

I would rather have chlamydia than Aroldis Chapman or Craig Kimbrel anywhere near this team. 

So you're saying there's a chance?

7 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I get it, but that's in the rear view mirror now and the next few months are going to be really critical IMO.  Too critical to screw around with the likes of Aroldis Chapman and all his baggage.

I agree and I don't want him on the team. 

But I'm not sure this specific moment is more critical than say, when he picked Gunnar Henderson in the second round.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree and I don't want him on the team. 

But I'm not sure this specific moment is more critical than say, when he picked Gunnar Henderson in the second round.

That's something that can only be determined in hindsight.  Lots of options and lots of flexibility this offseason to really set the team up for the next 2-3 years.  I'm very curious to see how it plays out.  Checking my crystal ball, I don't see Aroldis Chapman anywhere on the program

Emilio Pagan would have been very weak sauce, but he does have about 30 career Saves to check Mike Elias' voiced "experience closing" box....looks like he's getting $16mm from CIN to be in their setup crew.

I think a basic Raysian tactic is to have guys on fixed salaries accrue your Saves and not mess up Arb, and would guess Elias wouldn't mind not having Cano-Hall-Wells get "37 saves" next year.

21 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Emilio Pagan would have been very weak sauce, but he does have about 30 career Saves to check Mike Elias' voiced "experience closing" box....looks like he's getting $16mm from CIN to be in their setup crew.

I think a basic Raysian tactic is to have guys on fixed salaries accrue your Saves and not mess up Arb, and would guess Elias wouldn't mind not having Cano-Hall-Wells get "37 saves" next year.

I kind of like this deal. I'm not sure I would have given him $16 million, but the Orioles need somebody who is right-handed and can pitch somewhere in the 7th-9th innings. Pagan fits the bill if... you think your pitching gurus can repeat his success from last year. 

I honestly have no idea who they will target or acquire for this role. There's only so many guys that fit the description. 

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Notable career saves for some possibilities:

Under 10 - Robert Stephenson, Joe Kelly, Matt Moore

30ish - Jordan Hicks, Dylan Floro

100ish - Hector Neris, Will Smith

Loads - Hader, Kimbrel, A. Chapman, Robertson

Neris would be pretty great. I sorta assume the Astros will resign their guys more often than not and that we can't really beat what they'd offer him, but he's kind of an ideal target. 

Also like Stephenson quite a bit. Moore, too, but I think we stay away from lefties. 

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Notable career saves for some possibilities:

Under 10 - Robert Stephenson, Joe Kelly, Matt Moore

30ish - Jordan Hicks, Dylan Floro

100ish - Hector Neris, Will Smith

Loads - Hader, Kimbrel, A. Chapman, Robertson

You left Daniel Hudson off the list (33 career saves). Signing him cheap, if he's healthy, and banking on a bounce back season would be a move I'd like to see them make. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

You left Daniel Hudson off the list (33 career saves). Signing him cheap, if he's healthy, and banking on a bounce back season would be a move I'd like to see them make. 

Good call....scanning his injury history I see its been mostly knees the last 2 years, and Dodgers were set to use him next round had they gone deeper into the playoffs.