Pre winter meeting reliever notes

SemperFi

20 minutes ago, 24fps said:

This makes a lot more sense than the speculation about Hader.

So the guy who wrote Treasure Island or it's new title: John Angelos Treasure Island  at Camden Yards. It will be a great time as the developed land around the stadium becomes a true treasure. 

Treasure Island proposes the notion that the search for gold is a futile one in that the most profound satisfaction comes from the development of wisdom, self-knowledge, and integrity. Those characters led by their greed down paths of treachery pay devastating consequences.

Edited by Going Underground
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

So the guy who wrote Treasure Island or it's new title: John Angelos Treasure Island  at Camden Yards. It will be a great time as the developed land around the stadium becomes a true treasure. 

Treasure Island proposes the notion that the search for gold is a futile one in that the most profound satisfaction comes from the development of wisdom, self-knowledge, and integrity. Those characters led by their greed down paths of treachery pay devastating consequences.

John Angelos is probably a lost cause by now, but does Scott Boras know about this book?  Worth a try...

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Well, a couple of things:

1. The pitcher's middle name is William.

2. The author's last name is spelled Stevenson

3. Let's hope the O's aren't signing up for another "Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde."

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

4/40 or more.

MLBTR said 4/$40 mm.   Ben Clemens said 1/$10 mm.  Fangraphs crowdsource said 2/$10 mm.

That’s a huge variance of opinion.  I can’t see either 4/$40 mm or 4/$36 mm for Stephenson personally.  He’s just been so inconsistent.  He has the upside to be worth that, but I doubt the O’s would put that many eggs in that basket.   

• Upvote 1

The Orioles remind me of guys at weddings when I was young.  The bride threw the bouquet and the groom threw the garter, and if you caught the garter, you supposedly got married next.  If you caught it, women would ask when you were getting married while your girlfriend gave you the look.  Most guys would wait for some poor sucker to catch the garter, and then you would do the fake lunge and pretend that you were trying to catch it.  The Os have mastered this technique.  After all of the key signings, you will hear how interested they were, but they just couldn't quite close the deal.

• Upvote 1

I would be very excited for Stephenson. It’s exactly the type of move the Orioles should make, he has elite upside but enough question marks that he’ll be in their price range.

And while a multi year contract for a RP is always risky, if in 2024 he looks anything like the pitcher he was last year it will very quickly look like a bargain to have him under control for 2-3 more years at ~10M a year. 

• Upvote 1

Glad to hear we are in on these guys. Stephenson makes perfect sense. All of a sudden our bullpen would look pretty strong with a full year of Hall. If we don't make a major SP addition I could then see Wells back in the rotation and not be too bummed.

Cano/Stephenson/Hall/Cionel/Coulombe/Webb would be solid. 

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Glad to hear we are in on these guys. Stephenson makes perfect sense. All of a sudden our bullpen would look pretty strong with a full year of Hall. If we don't make a major SP addition I could then see Wells back in the rotation and not be too bummed.

Cano/Stephenson/Hall/Cionel/Coulombe/Webb would be solid. 

Agree, Stephenson would be a great get.

Just now, ThisIsBirdland said:

I think the difference here is this seems somewhat realistic, as opposed to Nola or Rodon. 

Ok.  But showing interest means nothing.  It was reported that they were interested in Nola and Hader.   Stephenson is a more realistic target but “showing interest “ means nothing.

22 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok.  But showing interest means nothing.  It was reported that they were interested in Nola and Hader.   Stephenson is a more realistic target but “showing interest “ means nothing.

Oh I agree there. I just think rumors are worth sharing and tracking and that some rumors are more realistic than others. But yes, this is just a rumor and I’ll be disappointed if they don’t come away with him.