Craig Kimbrel - Signing

E-D-D-I-E

6 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

That is the rub here. And Elias mentioned that concept in an interview on MLB Network a couple hours ago.

Assuming Kimbrel gets wrapped up, that leaves you with a bullpen of Kimbrel, Cano, Coulombe, Wells, Hall, Perez, Irvin, and Tate (assuming health across the board). Of those guys, Cano, Tate, Wells and Hall have options, but of them who realistically would be optioned? Tate...maybe, depending on how he comes back from injury. In a pinch, I guess one of the others could to get a fresh arm, but then you're without them for at least 10 days. 

Having someone with flexibility would be nice, but then who do we DFA to get that? It'll be interesting to see if the Orioles do anything else for the pen (aside from minor league signings).

I think Irvin makes a ton of sense to include in a trade for a starting pitcher.  He will be able to replace the innings for the team losing a starter and without options here he will be tough to hang on to.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

How I see things assuming Kimbrel signs:

Bullpen:
Closer: Kimbrel (though others will get shots at times)
8th inning: Cano (depends on matchups) Wells could also get some play in this role depending on Cano
7th inning: Hall (depends on matchups)
Set up/Matchups: Coloumbe (LHP)
Set up/Matchups: Perez (LHP)
Set up/Matchups: Tate is healthy (Webb here if not)
Multi inning: Wells (RHP)
Multi Inning: Irvin (LHP) if he doesn't break as 5th starter.
Early starter implosion guy: Baumann/Webb/Baker/Akin

Rotation: (I'm hoping they add a top starter here)
1. Kyle Bradish
2. Grayson Rodriguez
3. John Means
4. Dean Kremer
5. (for now) Cole Irvin/Tyler Wells

Seems like the bullpen could use extra RHP (Wells) more than LHP (Irvin). I was already inclined to roll with Wells in the bullpen but even more so when you've laid it out like this. 

39 minutes ago, CanadianOriole said:

Well, it's better than Chapman - I'll say that. I think it's reasonably unlikely that Kimbrel is as good next year as say Jacob Webb was for us. Not a move I can support given the limited dollars we're willing to spend.

How many available relievers do you consider “reasonably likely” to produce an ERA south of 3.25 over a full season?

26 minutes ago, WietersCorner said:

Why is everyone assuming a Kimbrel signing stops us from getting another reliever? I have high hopes we end up with another high leverage arm as well.

The Os currently have 11 options for the pen, if you include Hall.

For me, I would still signing Stephenson depending on the contract. I don’t care about leaving some of those options off but the Os aren’t going to do that unless one of their main targets gets far less than we think.

Edited by Sports Guy