Craig Kimbrel - Signing

E-D-D-I-E

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Kimbrel signing doesn’t mean anything w/r/t Wells outside of him not being the closer.

This line of thinking from you makes no sense.

I have to agree. Kimbrel has no bearing on Wells, who right now we have to assume is in the bullpen if we assume a SP is being acquired at some point who is better than Kremer/Wells. 

Just now, interloper said:

I have to agree. Kimbrel has no bearing on Wells, who right now we have to assume is in the bullpen if we assume a SP is being acquired at some point who is better than Kremer/Wells. 

And honestly, if they didn’t acquire a pitcher, I think Hall is your 5th starter, at least to start the year.

55 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I don't like a Kimbrel signing because it feels like we'll probably be paying more for the name than the actual pitcher (at this point in his career). And if it's more than a one year deal then I REALLY hate it. Honestly I'm a bit surprised Elias seems so focused on getting someone with closing experience as opposed to just a "good" relief pitcher. 

And from a purely superficial standpoint the idea of having to watch Kimbrel and that silly bat wing delivery for a full season is making my cringe. 

How can you look at his stats last year and his statcast data and determine that he's not "good". What do you not like? 

I hate his vulture stance before the pitch as well, but his stuff is still good and if the Orioles are getting him on a one or two year contract that reasonable I'm 100% on board in this.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Hall is not going to AAA unless he totally bombs in AAA or isn’t 100%.

Where does he fit on the roster?  4 lefties is hard to carry in a bullpen.   Sometimes the player with options gets sent down because they have the options.  Coloumbe was a rock for us all year.  Perez really came on and had a great 2022 as well.  Irvin can eat innings, rubber arm, showed 95 when used in strictly one inning stints.  We're pretty good with LH relievers.  Unless we do a LH for RH reliever swap to open up a spot for flexibility.

Perez for a RH version?  

23 minutes ago, interloper said:

So do you just think we're not getting a starting pitcher or what? Either Kremer or Wells are being bounced from the rotation, and Wells is the guy with bullpen experience, while Kremer is the guy Elias and Hyde have pointed out has established himself as a ML SP. To me, that says Wells is pretty much guaranteed to be in the bullpen unless Kremer is traded or something. 

9 Orioles pitchers got starts last year. For perspective, the Yankees and Red Sox used 13. Wells and Irvin should both get starts even if we acquire another solid SP - which is clearly still a need. 

49 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I don't like a Kimbrel signing because it feels like we'll probably be paying more for the name than the actual pitcher (at this point in his career). And if it's more than a one year deal then I REALLY hate it. Honestly I'm a bit surprised Elias seems so focused on getting someone with closing experience as opposed to just a "good" relief pitcher. 

And from a purely superficial standpoint the idea of having to watch Kimbrel and that silly bat wing delivery for a full season is making my cringe. 

Elias does not strike me as the type of guy who is going to just pay someone for the name alone. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

9 Orioles pitchers got starts last year. For perspective, the Yankees and Red Sox used 13. Wells and Irvin should both get starts even if we acquire another solid SP - which is clearly still a need. 

Man I totally forgot about Irvin. And he's out of options right? 

Edited by interloper

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

In yesteryear our Randy Myers was his age 33-34 seasons.     We'll get 36 in this case, same as Lee Smith on the '94 Orioles.

Kimbrel is at 417 career saves.  Lee Smith is 3rd with 478.  He's got a decent chance of catching him on a two year deal here.  Especially if we control Bautista's workload when healthy, and use Bautista in big spots other than the 9th/10th innings.  

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Didn’t you recently say you hope they don’t sign Kimbrel?

If I did, I did it off the cuff (probably allowed his terrible outings in the NLCS to affect my thoughts of him) and not after looking at his numbers. Once I heard about the potential signing I looked up all of his stuff and was surprised by how good he was last year. 

I also saw that most of his runs were given up through homers and that he would have thrown four less in Camden Yards. That makes me feel like he will have more success with us and his ERA should go down. 

Now obviously he'll be 36 next year so you don't know how he'll really be, but I like his signing a whole lot more than the Givens signing last year.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Have you looked at Cano's second half stats? There's a reason folks are skeptical. 

Define "skeptical".  A Givens-level implosion?  Or skeptical that he's not who he was in the first half (or even on the whole of the season)?  I understand the direction, just looking for the general degree of regression.

FWIW, July looks a "reasonable" floor/worst case scenario.  Worst GB%, highest WHIP, highest HR/FB month.  And even then Cano had an xFIP of 3.41.  

• Upvote 1