Terrell Vinson names final four

ejf1025

ESPNU 100 small forward Terrell Vinson has narrowed his choices to four schools, St. Frances coach Mark Karcher told the St. Petersburg Times. Vinson, who was released from his letter of intent at Loyola Marymount, is down to Maryland, Massachusetts, Cincinnati and South Florida.

Got to like our chances....

1. Stephenson

2. Vinson

3. Williams

4. Padgett

What a class that would be! I'm skeptical on Stephenson tho.

This is something I want clarity on as well...

I think there is a good chance Tucker and 2 of Goins/Dupree/Burney could transfer. Plus Neal's spot, that's 4.

I think we would only need 2 to leave. We're only using 12 scholarships this year, unless they gave one to Pearman for the year, which they would just take back next year if they need it.

Dupree, Neal, and Pearman not being on scholarship next year would bring us down to 10. If we have the convenient problem of needing to add Padgett, Williams, Stephenson, and Vinson, who would be the odd man out?

I think we would only need 2 to leave. We're only using 12 scholarships this year, unless they gave one to Pearman for the year, which they would just take back next year if they need it.

Dupree, Neal, and Pearman not being on scholarship next year would bring us down to 10. If we have the convenient problem of needing to add Padgett, Williams, Stephenson, and Vinson, who would be the odd man out?

Let's see:

Deciding between Burney and Tucker.

Bigs are: Padgett (FR), Williams (FR), Gregory (JR) and Goins (SO). With Landon a pinch 4/3.

Guards are: GV (SR), Hayes (SR), Stephenson (FR), Bowie (JR), Mosely (SO).

Swings: Milbourne (SR), Vinson (FR), Kim (SO)

Think you gotta keep Tuck...losing Landon, GV and Hayes and a good change Stephenson is a one and done. Tucker's PT could jump SR year.

Let's see:

Deciding between Burney and Tucker.

Bigs are: Padgett (FR), Williams (FR), Gregory (JR) and Goins (SO). With Landon a pinch 4/3.

Guards are: GV (SR), Hayes (SR), Stephenson (FR), Bowie (JR), Mosely (SO).

Swings: Milbourne (SR), Vinson (FR), Kim (SO)

Think you gotta keep Tuck...losing Landon, GV and Hayes and a good change Stephenson is a one and done. Tucker's PT could jump SR year.

I agree, between Tucker and Burney, I'd rather see Tucker stick around.

How good is Vinson regarded compared to Stephenson?

Worlds apart.

#4 and #67 RSCI-combined. I have seen Stephenson but not Vinson, Stephenson is an elite talent that would transform the program. Vinson would be nice but they already have lot of guys that do similar things.

Stephenson has the kind of strength, range, separation, and explosiveness I haven't seen at Md since Bias.

Keep in mind that is just my opinion and I am skeptical of those (myself included) who watch a HS game and try to envision that talent at the next level. Stephenson did take on OJ Mayo as an 8th grader at Nike (I think Mayo was a HS sr) and the game is a classic, highlights are still floating around on YouTube.

Pearman is not on scholarship so they are technically at the limit, if Vinson or Stephenson comes they will find space.

http://rscihoops.com/

Worlds apart.

#4 and #67 RSCI-combined. I have seen Stephenson but not Vinson, Stephenson is an elite talent that would transform the program. Vinson would be nice but they already have lot of guys that do similar things.

Stephenson has the kind of strength, range, separation, and explosiveness I haven't seen at Md since Bias.

Pearman is not on scholarship so they are technically at the limit, if Vinson or Stephenson comes they will find space.

I think most agree that Dupree will be the first asked to go, but who do you think they ask to look elsewhere if we land both of those guys?

Mack,

It's tough for me to say, but I think all options are on the table. In addition to those two they are looking closely at a JUCO point guard Fermin but that may be if Stephenson and Vinson don't materialize. I can't see GW leaning on someone who is happy so Hayes, Tucker, or Dupree seem lost likely-redshirting someone like Kim or Goines could also be an option. I really believe that GW's legacy is important to him and he want's to go out a winner. I can't remember a time when Md has been involved with so many top 50 SO and JR's-and had so many offers out 14 for 3 slots year after next-but they have to sign them!! They really need a PG in that class and they have missed on their first targets. I did hear a rumor that Alabama has a very sincere interest in GW if he decides to make himself available.

2008-09 Signees

Name Rank Ht. Pos. High School

James Padgett Top 150 6-8 BF/C Brooklyn (NY) Lincoln

Jordan Williams Top 250 6-10 C/BF Torrington (CT) High

Other Claimed 2008-09 Offers

(Open Scholarships: 0)

Lance Stephenson Top 10 6-5 WG Brooklyn (NY) Lincoln Early 2009-10 Commitments

None

Claimed 2009-10 Offers

(Open Scholarships: 3)

Roscoe Smith Top 25 6-7 WF Baltimore (MD) Walbrook

Taran Buie Top 50 6-1 WG/PG Albany (NY) Bishop Maginn

Tobias Harris Top 50 6-7 BF/WF Brookville (NY) Long Island

Travis McKie Top 50 6-6 WF/BF Richmond (VA) Marshall

Mychal Parker Top 50 6-6 WG/WF Charlottesville (VA) Miller

Adreian Payne Top 50 6-9 C/BF Dayton (OH) Jefferson

Terrance Ross Top 50 6-5 WG Rockville (MD) Montrose Chr.

Will Barton Top 75 6-5 WG/WF Baltimore (MD) Lake Clifton

Justin Jackson Top 100 6-6 BF Montverde (FL) Academy

Stacey Poole Top 100 6-5 WF/WG Jacksonville (FL) Jackson

Will Regan Top 100 6-8 BF/C Buffalo (NY) Nichols

Victor Oladipo Top 150 6-4 WG/WF Hyattsville (MD) DeMatha

Terrell Stoglin Top 200 6-1 PG Tucson (AZ) Santa Rita

I can't see GW leaning on someone who is happy so Hayes, Tucker, or Dupree seem lost likely-redshirting someone like Kim or Goines could also be an option
Is Hayes unhappy? I can see Tucker being unhappy, he deserves more PT there just are a lot of people in the rotation. I can also see Dupree being unhappy, but he needs to go down to a mid-tier at best level.

I thought of a redshirt, specifically for Kim, but wasn't 100% sure if you get the scholarship back or not. Dupree transferring and Kim redshirting seems like the most likely scenario to me.

Is Hayes unhappy? I can see Tucker being unhappy, he deserves more PT there just are a lot of people in the rotation. I can also see Dupree being unhappy, but he needs to go down to a mid-tier at best level.

I thought of a redshirt, specifically for Kim, but wasn't 100% sure if you get the scholarship back or not. Dupree transferring and Kim redshirting seems like the most likely scenario to me.

Hayes, Tucker and Kim have the most to lose in terms of playing time. There were rumors Hayes would leave if Maze was brought in and I am sure he would hate to be on the bench SR year-just my thoughts.

1 Bowie, Hayes

2 Vasquez, Tucker

3 Mosley, Kim

4 Milbourne, Padgett, Gregory

5 Williams, Burney, Dupree, Goins

I think the most likely scenario is that the 13 players I mention above is the 2009-10 roster.

CR,

I would be shocked if that is Md's roster next year, GW knows he has to win and win now. It is certainly a veteran roster but I still don't see enough talent to make a difference in the ACC. Two more NIT's and GW is bought out and not many of us really want that. It's obvious they are still pursuing talent much as they did at the end of last year.

Worlds apart.

Keep in mind that is just my opinion and I am skeptical of those (myself included) who watch a HS game and try to envision that talent at the next level. Stephenson did take on OJ Mayo as an 8th grader at Nike (I think Mayo was a HS sr) and the game is a classic, highlights are still floating around on YouTube.

Good stuff. To me, going after Vinson doesn't make a whole lot of sense. As you say, the Terps already have players who do similar things. And if they get Stephenson, that's just another player who's going to be unhappy with his PT. I hope it's not a sign that they don't think they're getting Stephenson. Ah well, I guess they gotta cover their basis - in case of transfers.

Archived