Terrell Vinson names final four

ejf1025

Good stuff. To me, going after Vinson doesn't make a whole lot of sense. As you say, the Terps already have players who do similar things. And if they get Stephenson, that's just another player who's going to be unhappy with his PT. I hope it's not a sign that they don't think they're getting Stephenson. Ah well, I guess they gotta cover their basis - in case of transfers.
Vinson would pretty much be the replacement for Milbourne. He might not get a ton of time his freshman year, although a 6'7" guy would certainly find his way into the rotation at least a bit, but he'd be a welcome addition to replace Landon after next season.

Something to which I can contribute...as I coach in the MIAA, I have coached against Terrell this season and while he was at Montrose...

Positives- Clear athletic ability, stong finish, nice 10ft and in game, nice post game for 3

Neg- Weak, shot is a bit of a mystery at times, we usually 3/4 him in the post and take the chance with his shot, ball handling

Overall, very mid-grade college prospect imo

If Vinson and Born Ready want to come we would find room for them. Even if one of them doesn't commit I believe at least one big will transfer. Looking to next year you begin to have more bodies inside, especially if Vas does in fact leave. You have Gregory, Burney, Dupree, GOins, Milbourne, Padgett and Williams as interior players. That is 7 guys for 2 starting positions and two backup spots who will likely get 10-12 min each. Not to be too critical but with as badly as our bigs have been this year Gary should be encouraging at least two of these guys to move on for both their own good and the program's good.

Good stuff. To me, going after Vinson doesn't make a whole lot of sense. As you say, the Terps already have players who do similar things. And if they get Stephenson, that's just another player who's going to be unhappy with his PT. I hope it's not a sign that they don't think they're getting Stephenson. Ah well, I guess they gotta cover their basis - in case of transfers.

Ruz,

Getting a 3 like Vinson to replace Milbourne a year down the line is the ideal way to recruit. He has a year to get acclimated to the offense and defense before he is starting. On paper having an athletic Padgett and Vinson at 3/4 really helps their interior defense, weak side shot blocking is something GW believes in and they really can't do it now.

Ruz,

Getting a 3 like Vinson to replace Milbourne a year down the line is the ideal way to recruit. He has a year to get acclimated to the offense and defense before he is starting. On paper having an athletic Padgett and Vinson at 3/4 really helps their interior defense, weak side shot blocking is something GW believes in and they really can't do it now.

They just got Kim last year to play the same position, and they still have 2 years of Tucker left. And Gregory would be at the 3 if they had any size. If Vinson is significantly better than what we have, then I'd see the value there, but it doesn't sound like he is. I'd hold the scholly for the next year.

They just got Kim last year to play the same position, and they still have 2 years of Tucker left. And Gregory would be at the 3 if they had any size. If Vinson is significantly better than what we have, then I'd see the value there, but it doesn't sound like he is. I'd hold the scholly for the next year.
They'll have only Tucker's senior year once Milbourne is gone, and Vinson is probably better. Tucker is more of a 2 anyways, although he doesn't have the jumpshot for it.

I'm not passing up a top-100 recruit because of Jin Soo Kim.

From everything I've heard Vinson has a good bit more potential than both Kim and Gregory. Maryland is just not in a position right now to turn down a top 100 player if he wants to come.

From everything I've heard Vinson has a good bit more potential than both Kim and Gregory. Maryland is just not in a position right now to turn down a top 100 player if he wants to come.
Exactly. If this guy wants to come, we find space. He's more talented than Kim or Gregory, like you say.

Mac' date=' he is really nothing to get too excited about...he is too weak to play big at the college level...seriously[/quote']

He can't be weaker than Kim and he has more athleticism too. I appreciate and respect your evaluation but right now Maryland needs to take Vinson if he wants to commit. Between the lack of talent on the current roster and their struggles on the recruiting trail they just can't risk turning down a top 100 player.

Archived