Bloomberg: Carlyle Group/David Rubenstein In Talks To Purchase Orioles

ThisIsBirdland

4 hours ago, WarehouseChatter said:

It doesn’t work that way. His cost would impact the valuation. Now it might be offset by the expected revenue benefit over time,  but that is hard to quantify. Believe me, a $500k contract will be considered in the valuation.

Yes that is how I am looking at it.  I day trade stocks for a living and am also a public stock consultant and many times a public company acquires a private company.  While the cost of the company coming in can be high, the valuation of the pub co usually goes up more so because of the added value that the private company brings.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

4 hours ago, WarehouseChatter said:

It doesn’t work that way. His cost would impact the valuation. Now it might be offset by the expected revenue benefit over time,  but that is hard to quantify. Believe me, a $500k contract will be considered in the valuation.

$500K contracts are illegal.   It's less than the major league minimum.

18 hours ago, SemperFi said:

Just my opinion but going back say 20 years an asst GM shadowed the GM and had a breath of responsibility not narrow.  When I see them (until research), I saw them as silozed (analytics and scouting).  Very different than the path a Doug Melvin took (scouting, asst to the GM then Asst GM).

Sig has never done anything (I know about) outside analytics and while that may qualify him as "consigliere" there's an awful lot more to the job.  I don't think Boston had any interest in him other than to pick his brain.

Here is where I was wrong-Eve had been all scouting but last year when she was promoted she assumed what I would consider a "traditional role"

". Rosenbaum will oversee roster management, transactions, financial planning and major league operations and administration. She will also continue to play a role in player evaluation and acquisition."

IMO Sig seems to be seen as ME's "right hand man" but I don't think Eve gets enough credit.

I don't know a ton about Eve and what she does, but if roster management, transactions, player evaluations and acquisitions fall under her realm, and that includes the trading deadline, I have some concerns.

Grant it, the Orioles gave up very little in the Fuji and Flaherty trades, neither were very successful with the Orioles. The lack of successful veteran starter with playoff experience to me was a part of the Orioles sweep in the playoffs, and why Elias has said that's a goal of his this winter.

Now I don't think she's solely the decision maker in these acquisitions but more of the person who provides the info to Elias who makes the final calls. But that's just my opinion on how things run in the warehouse, not any inside information.

18 hours ago, interloper said:

The Banner weighs in:

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/sports/orioles-mlb/orioles-sale-bloomberg-report-angelos-family-OULIMYHYU5HN3HOLIFYYTAFXGI/

The article cites 4 reasons that it might not make sense to sell right now. The development rights, the MASN issue, the fact that Angelos would be cashing out on a bright team of young stars that he ushered in with Elias, and the capital gains tax issue. 

I don't doubt the rumor is true, but I do doubt anything is remotely close, or that Angelos is even fielding offers in any serious way right now. It's like Elias "having interest" in Hader. Meaningless. 

The Banner seems to be the one publication nowadays that does actual journalism. 

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Just to make sure my thoughts aren’t twisted in this thread. I never said Rubenstein is a bad person. I also never said all Billionaires are bad people. I believe there a billionaires in certain blue collar industries like Transportation, Oil, and Building  that are good people. It wasn’t but 15 years ago the Mets had an owner that was kicked out of baseball. He will be vetted and if he passes I will be all for it. I also want to give John Angelo’s credit for building the best Oriole organization in 40 years. He finally did something his dad would never do and gutted the team.

He doesn't get credit for building it, he gest credit for hiring Mike Elias to build it. The issue is will he now allow him the resources to acquire or sustain the players needed to make this team a perennial contender and occasional World Series winner, or will the team end up like the Rays? 

You will get no argument from me that he's better than PA who meddled way too much in baseball operations, but or course, PA at was willing to open up the purse, something John has yet to show any willingness to do.

• Upvote 1

Sale of Nationals still tangled up in fate of the Orioles

“The 74-year-old billionaire — the high-profile figure behind Washington’s Carlyle Group — is a Baltimore native who has made it known in the past that he would like to own the Orioles. But he has also been reported to be partners with Monumental Sports boss Transparent Ted Leonsis in talks to buy the Washington Nationals.”

”Rubenstein’s bid is likely for a minority buy-in for the team, with provisions to take full control at some point, similar to what Steve Bisciotti did when he purchased 49% of the Baltimore Ravens from Art Modell in 2000 and then took over full ownership four years later.”

On 12/9/2023 at 8:06 AM, Tony-OH said:

He doesn't get credit for building it, he gest credit for hiring Mike Elias to build it. The issue is will he now allow him the resources to acquire or sustain the players needed to make this team a perennial contender and occasional World Series winner, or will the team end up like the Rays? 

You will get no argument from me that he's better than PA who meddled way too much in baseball operations, but or course, PA at was willing to open up the purse, something John has yet to show any willingness to do.

I agree and it’s frustrating because we are on the brink of something extremely special.

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

I think the question of whether Angelos will provide the resources to sustain this success has been clearly answered. At every turn he’s proven to be nothing but a liar and incompetent leader. If there were any intentions of spending with this team, we’d have seen it by now. 

I will wait until March 29th to make that decision even though the probability is 99% he doesn’t spend. I also factor in the 20 million on the hook for both drafts. 7 million international and 12-13 million MLB draft. We should be closer to 100 million than 60 by the end of offseason. 

17 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I will wait until March 29th to make that decision even though the probability is 99% he doesn’t spend. I also factor in the 20 million on the hook for both drafts. 7 million international and 12-13 million MLB draft. We should be closer to 100 million than 60 by the end of offseason. 

That's a cost of doing business as much as the money spent lobbying the politicians to get your stadium deal.  You going to include that?

• Upvote 1

If I was a prospective buyer in advanced talks with the Angelos family, I’d likely:

A) be hating the experience entirely and wildly frustrated with the Angelos way

B) want to take control immediately so I could make a big splash and have a chance to win a World Series in year one

C) want to buy the franchise now before any new competition comes along and/or the price goes up 

D) be looking at other opportunities that won’t be as painful, involve the Angelos family, or have the MASN/MLB/Nats complications

My point is as much as I want this to happen, it could be years and lost opportunities aplenty ahead of us. Plan accordingly emotionally is my advice.