Bloomberg: Carlyle Group/David Rubenstein In Talks To Purchase Orioles

ThisIsBirdland

3 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Carlyle group is hands down sketchy. World movers, Big Bank money, Assassination money, etc. Wouldn't be surprised if sinister things existed in his closet. Very sinister things. However, will he spend money on starting pitching...

I'm here for alleged sketchiness, world moving, big bank money, assassinations and other sinister things if we can get someone who can throw 200 innings for a 3.00 ERA.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I just knew what you were gonna ask for before you could DM me for it.  

Haha.  You don’t clean them.  You throw them away.   

Depend is a brand of absorbent, disposable underwear and undergarments for people with urinary or fecal incontinence.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Depend is a brand of absorbent, disposable underwear and undergarments for people with urinary or fecal incontinence.

Sounds like you're very familiar with them.  An expert, even.

Anyway, Rubenstein paid 21.3 million for the Magna Carta.  Surely he can see the value in spending as much per year on a TOR starter.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sounds like you're very familiar with them.  An expert, even.

Anyway, Rubenstein paid 21.3 million for the Magna Carta.  Surely he can see the value in spending as much per year on a TOR starter.

You think you can get a TOR for 21.3M?   Good luck.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Really conflicted on this one. The more I read about him the more concerns I have. I didn’t know about the council of foreign relations until yesterday. It’s hard to find on the internet now but Jeffrey Epstein was a member up until 2009. He also made a donation 2019 to them. Guess who the chairman there is?

I know it will be a conspiracy thought but I think it’s important to look into future owner.

Council on Foreign Relations is a very established think tank with a long list of high level members. Just because Epstein was a member at one time does not indicate a special connection to Rubinstein or anything nefarious. 

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I don't know what JA wants, but to me the sale almost has to happen within 12ish months of PAs death. It's not just the MASSIVE taxes that he can't pay, it's the whole legal situation with his brother and mother. I think he's already preparing the sale, at least partially because of that. It's just a matter of time.

Unless I’m mistaken, no estate taxes are due so long as Georgia Angelos is alive, so your premise that John has to raise cash to pay taxes within a year of Peter’s death is wrong.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Shhhh, don't tell Pickles.  He's worried that Rubenstein could die in 10 years and we'd have to go through this all over again.

So I’m thinking there are a very limited number of people that could afford approximately $2 billion to buy the Orioles plus whatever Masn will add to the price.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Unless I’m mistaken, no estate taxes are due so long as Georgia Angelos is alive, so your premise that John has to raise cash to pay taxes within a year of Peter’s death is wrong.  

Doesn't this undermine the entire capital gains tax issue that we've been discussing on here for the last couple years? If ownership of the Orioles passes to her upon his death, capital gains taxes on the delta between its current value versus purchase value would still be owed upon its sale, correct? So to avoid paying the taxes, they would need to wait for both Peter and Georgia to pass?

21 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Doesn't this undermine the entire capital gains tax issue that we've been discussing on here for the last couple years? If ownership of the Orioles passes to her upon his death, capital gains taxes on the delta between its current value versus purchase value would still be owed upon its sale, correct? So to avoid paying the taxes, they would need to wait for both Peter and Georgia to pass?

It depends how the Orioles are owned.  If they are in Peter and his wife jointly she can get half the stepped up basis.  

On 12/19/2023 at 12:24 PM, Moose Milligan said:

I'm here for alleged sketchiness, world moving, big bank money, assassinations and other sinister things if we can get someone who can throw 200 innings for a 3.00 ERA.

Me too but not above $27m per.  😎

Edited by Fan4Life

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Soto and Judge are both first ballot Hall of Famers when they retire.  Soto is younger than Adley, has a career bWAR over 36, and dominated the 2019 postseason as a 21 year old. Folks probably weren't paying much attention to him or the Nats back then, but he has been a force ever since being called up in 2018. And Judge...not sure why nobody else saw value in a six and a half foot man with a ton of raw power, but good for them for nailing that 32nd pick in the draft. Having these guys 2 and 3 in the lineup is such a game changer, because there is so much pressure on the opposing pitchers to not screw up with any of their other 7 hitters.  One guy you may be able to get around.  But 2.....much harder.   That being said, I do think it is more about us losing the division than anything else.  Tampa showed us last year how to keep fighting in spite of injuries. Those guys were decimated and were like a relentless swarm of bees hanging around us all the way until the last weekend.  They won 99 games with an extremely depleted pitching staff and a slew of no-name hitters who kept coming up with big hits.  We lost this division by playing uninspired, unclutch, and lame baseball for three full months.  And amazingly, we will have gone all of July, all of August, and all of September without so much as a 4 game winning streak.   Winning the season series against every division opponent for the second year in a row is something I am very happy about after years of being a doormat. I am sorry we couldn't win the division, but I am also glad to be playing next week and not sitting at home waiting to play a team on a high after winning a playoff series. 
    • It's game 160 tonight and we just discovered our bull pen has warts? Elias's fault, Hyde's fault - we've had ample threads of he sucks, they suck, fire him, demote him, etc.  Well we are off to the playoffs and the pen may be the reason we don't go far. And if so I doubt few on here will be surprised. It is what it is going forward with some but not necessarily significant adjustments. We play this year out with the hand we can put together - next Monday. Till then, just win one in Minnasota for the bottom line. Last night is over and IMO really didn't teach us anything we didn't already know. 
    • I didn't spell it out well enough.    I was meaning season long results of Orioles teams with full Rutschman seasons 2023-2027 against the Yankees.    They are now 1-1.
    • HEY YANKEES! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnxNRPy_SOA
    • Yeah I'm all for sportsmanship but seeing 'Congratulations Yankees' at or near the top of the board is sickening, not gonna lie.  There is no high road when it comes to these clowns.  Boone's constant whining, the well-documented HP ump favoritism (I don't care if its framing or whatever, its happening, and its annoying AF), the whining about Judge getting hit on the hand while their guys constantly pitch inside including of course the Kjerstad play where they were literally cutting up on the bench as he lay prone on home plate, the ginormous payroll, the incredibly entitled fan base booing at pitches being called balls that are three inches off the plate, that stupid roll call, that stupid whistle after strikeouts, the stupid national media drooling over a Judge v Ohtani WS possibility, Nestor Cortes and his dumb mustache, the mediocre stadium that is revered simply because its called Yankee Stadium, the ridiculously short RF porch, the Soto Shuffle or whatever the hell it is. Congratulations my ass.  Screw those dudes.
    • Here's the deal. I doubt anyone on the Yankee's board congradulated us last year. This year they won the East. Whippie for them. It's like saying the IRS won tax season. IF, we do anything in the playoffs, we may meet again. But there are some significant hurdles before that. And they could easily lose along the way. Cleveland, Houston, Detroit, and KC are no walk in the park. I'll root for the O's to go as far as they can and that the Yankees are one and done. We are in. I hope we win one more so we play the opening round in Oriole Park. If not, we are still in and have to do what we got to do to go anywhere. Two years in a row. While the Red Sox, Blue Jays, and Tampa sleep. Year two with a heck of a lot more obstacles. This may not be a WS year but we are competitive, young, and a hell of a lot classier than that bunch in the Bronx. 
    • The usage of Cano last night was poor, I don't even blame him really.  Yankees had 9-1-2 coming up, and Torres is well known (based on the telecast) to hit Cano well, and hit sinkers well.  He laced that hit to RF off him on Tuesday where the Yanks screwed up the baserunning.  And Soto got a hit off him that same inning.  So it was pretty predictable that these guys were going to tee off when he came in, and that's exactly what happened. Not to mention he's pitched a lot recently, and Burnes should have pitched another inning anyway.  Just baffling decisions by Hyde last night, and I'm not one to generally question those types of things.  Even if the Burnes thing was pre-ordained, the choice of Cano for that moment was terrible.
  • Popular Contributors