O’s Hot Stove Shows air on Thursdays

Frobby

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Congratulations.  This is the most annoying series of posts you’ve ever posted in a discussion with me.  

First of all, I took the trouble to listen to the French interview, write up a detailed summary that covers a number of interesting things he said, and all you can focus on is the phrase “to the extent there was any validity to Ken Rosenthal’s report that some pitchers had difficulty communicating with Chris Holt.”   That’s far from the main point of what I was writing about, but your weird obsession with Holt causes you to focus on that, when the post is about French, not Holt.  

Second of all, you’ve now mischaracterized things I’ve said at least twice.   First you ask me “do you believe everything Rosenthal says,” when I very clearly stated, “to the extent there was any validity in Ken Rosenthal’s report’” which makes it very clear I wasn’t assuming his report was correct.  And now you say “you think he was taken out of the pitching coaches job.”  I said absolutely nothing of the kind.   I don’t have any idea whether (1) Holt wanted a change of role, (2) the O’s thought he was a good pitching coach but that he could have more positive effect on the whole organization if he focused on the Director of Pitching role, or (3) they thought he had flaws as a pitching coach that warranted changing his role to something more suitable and replacing him.   I don’t know, I’m probably never going to know, and I’m not even sure that I care.  So don’t put words in my mouth, please.  

What I do care about at this point is that French does a good job as pitching coach, that Holt is effective in his role, and that French is able to get input from Holt when he needs it.   

Finally, I have a question for you.  Here is what Rosenthal said:

“Holt at times struggled to communicate with his pitchers, according to major-league sources who spoke on condition of anonymity in exchange for their candor. The Orioles’ goal, according to a source briefed on the club’s thinking, is to provide different messaging to their younger pitchers as they mature.”

Do you think Rosenthal is just making that up?   Do you think that no major league sources told him that Holt at times struggled to communicate with his pitchers, and that the team’s goal is to provide different messaging to their young pitchers as they mature?   Is Rosenthal just lying about what he was told to get clicks on The Athletic?   Is that what you’re saying?

Oh no.  You are annoyed.  You may be one the best posters on the Hangout but when you tweak me by saying I am carrying Holt's water you know me well enough that you are going to get a response.   Your comment was meant to be disparaging to me and that is the way I got it.   You made me explain again why I respect Holt.  

This is not the first time you have brought up Rosenthal's comment.   Rosnethal knows a lot of people.  But I bet the comment was not from any one in authority with the Orioles because Elias has made it perfectly clear to his staff that those kind of comment are not allowed.   Elias runs a tight ship when it comes to leaking info to the media.  

Do I think an agent, player that is leaving,  or some other source not close to the decision may have expressed an opinion to Rosenthal?  Sure.  But as I have explained and most other posters have posted  - it meaningless.   And that you keep bringing it up is what caused your annoyance.   Because the more you say it the more I am going to counter it because I believe it disrespectful to Holt.   He has done a lot for the O's and does not deserve that.

Edited by wildcard

Well, I think you are overly sensitive to any statement about Holt that suggests he’s not perfect.  Because no pitching coach (or human being) is.   But I’m going to drop it here, because I’d rather discuss what French had to say in his interview, which is what my post was about.  

23 minutes ago, interloper said:

In one post you acknowledge it might be Holt's decision. In another post you are back to saying it's the Orioles fixing what's not broken. Which is it? What's done is done man, let it go already. 

You ask a question and then say let it go.  Which is it?

I don't know if it was Holt decision.  I don't think it the O's fixing something that is not broken.  There is probably another reason.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, I think you are overly sensitive to any statement about Holt that suggests he’s not perfect.  Because no pitching coach (or human being) is.   But I’m going to drop it here, because I’d rather discuss what French had to say in his interview, which is what my post was about.  

Never said Holt was perfect.  There you go again.  Just said he has earned respect for what he has done for the O's.