MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

40 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Stroman 2 years 37 million to Yankees.   I guess he should have taken qualifying offer.  

Man, we couldn’t offer 2/37 million?  That’s tough. We could’ve done 10-12 this year then the rest next year when Santa, Means, Kimbrel, McCann, and O’Hearn come off the books. With possibly Mullins, Hays, Urias, and Mateo too. 

Stroman was like Ubaldo/Gallardo/Cobb. Fell into our laps, but we still didn’t want to pay. 

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I would have offered more than that if I were the O’s.  

I said yesterday that 2 years 44 million would be a fair offer to make for us.  At some point you either have to spend some money and sign someone for more then 1 year or you have to trade away the prospects.  

44 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Stroman 2 years 37 million to Yankees.   I guess he should have taken qualifying offer.  

If we signed Stroman we would’ve lost the #34 overall pick. Our 3rd highest draft pick. The penalty for a revenue sharing team signing a QO’d player. 

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Man, we couldn’t offer 2/37 million?  That’s tough. We could’ve done 10-12 this year then the rest next year when Santa, Means, Kimbrel, McCann, and O’Hearn come off the books. With possibly Mullins, Hays, Urias, and Mateo too. 

Stroman was like Ubaldo/Gallardo/Cobb. Fell into our laps, but we still didn’t want to pay. 

Yeah it seems like some of the prices on pitching is coming down.  The Japanese guy yesterday didn’t get what was predicted, Stroman less then predicted.  St some point you have to spend some.  You could have signed him and if need be unloaded a little bit of money with moving Urias, Mateo, or even Hays and you have major league ready people to replace them.  Unless they change the rules to letting you carry 30 guys we have to many players at the major league level or you have guys in AAA that have nothing to prove this season.  There is less then 2 months left til spring training and still nothing has been done to fix the log jam.  I am nit panicking but each day that passes am starting to wonder what the plan really is.  

26 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Yeah it seems like some of the prices on pitching is coming down.  The Japanese guy yesterday didn’t get what was predicted, Stroman less then predicted.  St some point you have to spend some.  You could have signed him and if need be unloaded a little bit of money with moving Urias, Mateo, or even Hays and you have major league ready people to replace them.  Unless they change the rules to letting you carry 30 guys we have to many players at the major league level or you have guys in AAA that have nothing to prove this season.  There is less then 2 months left til spring training and still nothing has been done to fix the log jam.  I am nit panicking but each day that passes am starting to wonder what the plan really is.  

He didn't get 6 figures like the rumor suggested but it might end up being 5/80. The contract is rather complicated, but the gist of it is

He's getting 2/30 over the first two years. After year 2, the Cubs have the option to lock him in for a 5th year for a total of 5/80. If they refuse, Imanaga has the right to elect free agency. If both the Cubs refuse and he refuses to exercise their options after year 2, they will get the same chance to exercise those options after year 3 again. So if Imanaga is good, it's 5/80, if he's bad, it's 4/53, if he's decent enough to elect for free agency but not good enough for the Cubs to want to give him the 5th year, he will either be a free agent after 2/30 or 3/46.5.

8 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I love the way the O's have been rebuilt. Elias and Sig are excellent. But this is a young Team coming off a 101 win year. They have the prospects. They have money. Do something to try to win a World Series.

Shades of 2014.  I guess nothing will change until the owner does.  I was watching part of a Nats classic on MASN a few nights ago and I'm guessing it was in the 2013-2014 range (Strasburg was a young starter).  The broadcaster mentioned that if the Nats had a reasonable shot at the playoffs, the owner had said money was no obstacle to doing what it took to win.  Words JA will never say.

9 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I love the way the O's have been rebuilt. Elias and Sig are excellent. But this is a young Team coming off a 101 win year. They have the prospects. They have money. Do something to try to win a World Series.

After 2023 JA has no place to hide.  Does he care is the question and we're about find out.  It's a pity that it won't have a material impact on his life one way or the other.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I would have offered more than that if I were the O’s.  

Ehh. Costs a pick, injured a lot. I'm kind of relieved honestly. But I get wanting him too, especially at less than three years.

Don't know that a couple million more keeps him from the Yankees though.

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1