MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t have high hopes for anymore moves, but it would be nice to have one more RH reliever with an option. If we don’t do a Cease trade then hopefully we could turn Urías into that return.

Maybe a Fuji reunion on a milb deal?  Uwasawa took that with the Rays for a chance to pitch in the MLB versus back to Japan. Maybe Fuji does the same?

Kimbrel, Cano*, Webb, Baumann, Tate*, Baker*, Hensley*, McDermott*, Johnson*

* = option for 2024

That 2nd RH SU man in front of Kimbrel and Cano is spotty. I guess Hall is in that spot right now and we don’t care about handedness. 

I think they’re ok with optionable RH relievers with Tate and Baker, and potentially Wells. They could obviously use one more, but that’s solid depth. Optionable RH RP would be my target in Urias/Mateo/O’Hearn deals though, if they are looking to move any of that group of marginal trade value to make space for prospects (and they should, but the market just may not be there before Spring Training injuries throughout the league).

The problem is Baumann being out of options. He didn’t really pitch well enough to deserve an Opening Day spot (like Webb did), but he has a good arm so the Orioles may be reluctant to just DFA him. Injuries will probably thin things out in Spring Training but he really clogs up the flexibility to rotate through fresh arms on the Norfolk shuttle, many of which are better pitchers than he is (like Tate and Baker). And a reluctance to DFA Baumann may be the reason they don’t sign a higher quality RP like Brasier to slot more comfortably into a setup role, which I disagree with. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

No.  I don’t like that particular package so something similar doesn’t work unless I know the names.  Topa is the only decent bet to help the Twins.  

Keep in mind the Twins took on Desclafani’s $12 million 2024 salary to even get that return. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Keep in mind the Twins took on Desclafani’s $12 million 2024 salary to even get that return. 

No they didn’t.  They’re only on the hook for 4M.  Discalfini was bad the last two years and ended the year with a forearm strain.  Gabriel Gonzalez is a bad bodied 20 yo with a well below average speed now.  He’s a DH even if he overcomes his over aggressiveness at the plate.   Topa is a 33 yo reliever who had one good year.  Bowens was the Mariners 25th prospect who has a good arm and athletic in A ball.

36 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Seems like a waste of money to me, idk. 

He’s exactly the type of player that we would struggle to get out. He’ll probably do poorly against the rest of the league though. 

1 minute ago, dystopia said:

He’s exactly the type of player that we would struggle to get out. He’ll probably do poorly against the rest of the league though. 

He’s 39.   The question is at what age does he fall off that cliff.

15 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

I am kind of confused where all this information came from? You and your family are working / following the caravan and getting to talk with a lot of people?

That being said my post isn’t to scrutinize was just looking for clarity. I love all the information in here if it’s legit. This answers a ton of questions and gives so much insight. I agree with above a new post should be created and if possible a little more background information provided.  Thanks! 

There were multiple sources (4) at the Caravans and  the post was an amalgamation from our notes.

18 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

Angels sign Aaron Hicks per MLBTR.

I'm a little surprised this didn't get its own thread. Not a huge shock but my sense was most of us expected him back after he seemed to fit in with the team and Elias loves cheap WAR wherever he can find them. Does this mean Elias is finally ready to commit to Kjerstad and Cowser? That does mean the bench is a little LHB heavy, at least til Holliday arrives.

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I'm a little surprised this didn't get its own thread. Not a huge shock but my sense was most of us expected him back after he seemed to fit in with the team and Elias loves cheap WAR wherever he can find them. Does this mean Elias is finally ready to commit to Kjerstad and Cowser? That does mean the bench is a little LHB heavy, at least til Holliday arrives.

Or maybe Hicks didn't want to stay?

Maybe he likes California?

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or maybe Hicks didn't want to stay?

Maybe he likes California?

Think I remember seeing a quote somewhere where Hicks said he really wanted to go somewhere where he would get playing time.  I'm sure Elias wouldn't guarantee him that here.  Maybe LAA did?