MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Ok - I'm really just generalizing. I didn't mean to start any larger conversation. 

And I'm not saying Roch should be doing any of that. I was just trying to say the guy seems content in his role! 

He shouldn't be because he's not a reporter. He hasn't been a reporter in the true sense of the word since he worked for The Sun. I'm not sure why folks are busting your chops over your comment. I get the exact same sense. He's a company man who seems perfectly fine and content collecting a paycheck with no aspirations to be anything more than he is. Which is perfectly fine. Unfortunately I think there's probably a misconception by a part of the fan base that he's offering independent thoughts / commentary. Even if the team isn't censoring everything he writes there's no way he would ever write anything critical that would paint the team in a negative light. He knows who butters his bread. 

3 minutes ago, 24fps said:

He did a Cowser last year for sure.  That said, it's a deal I would be all over if I was Elias.

Before last year I think he was thought of as the equal of Pepiot, who got them Glasnow.  Now he's just another depth guy in AAA while the Dodgers have multiple guys returning from the IL midseason including Kershaw and Gonsolin.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

It's not like Dan Connolly does that either.  Virtually no reporter on Earth is going to "back a baseball owner into the corner on finances."  They're all employed by city newspapers, and guess who has a lot of financial pull with those papers?  The owners of the local baseball team.

People really just want Roch to act out their fantasies of publicly berating and humiliating John Angelos.  As if that's a reporter's job.

Maybe I'm naive but why would Angelos or the Orioles in 2024 have leverage over a local media outlet they do little or no business with?  I do understand your larger point on professional decorum.

16 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Astroball by Ben Reiter is an example that comes immediately to mind.  He also produced the excellent PBS Frontline documentary on the cheating scandal.

There is still a place for investigative reporting in sports and elsewhere in public life but institutional (often meaning financial) support for the process remains limited as it always has been.  It's costly and time-intensive but not yet in danger of becoming extinct.

The failure of our press is something I'm well aware of, and legitimately deeply concerned about.  Roch's WAY down the list of what I'm worrying about though.

7 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

Maybe I'm naive but why would Angelos or the Orioles in 2024 have leverage over a local media outlet they do little or no business with?  I do understand your larger point on professional decorum.

Advertising dollars.  Access.

2 hours ago, interloper said:

None, really. I'm simply saying Roch doesn't play the game of trying to back John Angelos into a corner on finances, and stuff like that. And I'm not really judging him for not wanting to be Dan Connolly or other non-team/MLB-affiliated types. 

John Angelos is the CEO of MASN. Go ask.your boss about his finances. You won't be employed soon enough. 

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think JA played Elias.  I just think they agree on certain philosophies and not spending a lot on payroll is one of them.

I also don't know Elias could ask for their budget every year for the next 5 years when interviewing.  So many things can change...it can be hard to predict those things, but perhaps they just ballparked it.

Last but not least, he could have gone elsewhere but he grew up in the area (sort of).  I'm sure that was a factor that helped, too.

I wrote the budget part poorly.  I was involved in two different sports initially outside then inside and for the one with pretty predictable expenses (no FA) we had 1 and 3 year budgets.  The other was similar to MLB but with a cap, there we had a one year and a 4 year budget-I think that was because of the GM's contract but that's just conjecture on my part.  I think you are exactly right that the budget was "ballparked" and there is not a big difference between their visions. 

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

John Angelos is the CEO of MASN. Go ask.your boss about his finances. You won't be employed soon enough. 

I don't think he was impying that he expected Roch to that type of "reporter". He essentially shfited from reporter to PR guy when he joined MASN. And he seems pretty content in that role with no aspirations to dip his toe back into the reporting waters. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Advertising dollars.  Access.

That's where I need help-do the Orioles really spend anything with the Sun in the digital age?  I no longer live in the area but read the Sun often and don't recall many direct ads-more stories about promotions-yes, I understand the Orioles work to place those stories.  

if by access-yes the Sun relies on traffic from the Orioles and their relationship is colored as such.

6 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

That's where I need help-do the Orioles really spend anything with the Sun in the digital age?  I no longer live in the area but read the Sun often and don't recall many direct ads-more stories about promotions-yes, I understand the Orioles work to place those stories.  

if by access-yes the Sun relies on traffic from the Orioles and their relationship is colored as such.

I'm getting the sense that he's trying to turn this into some sort of non baseball related "fake news" commentary, but the reality of the situation is that the Sun and most of the other local media outlets were ostracized by the Orioles a long time ago. There's very little the Orioles have left to use as leverage against them at this point. I think the Orioles would prefer to just funnel all of their news through the MASN "reporters" anyway so they can put a positive spin on everything. 

Nats sign Joey Gallo, 1 year, $5 million.

When the Yankees got him, and his career wasn't on quite the downslide that it is now, I thought he could be the first person to hit the warehouse in a game playing 9 or 10 times a year in Oriole Park.   That never materialized.   He'll only get to aim for it two times this year.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Nats sign Joey Gallo, 1 year, $5 million.

When the Yankees got him, and his career wasn't on quite the downslide that it is now, I thought he could be the first person to hit the warehouse in a game playing 9 or 10 times a year in Oriole Park.   That never materialized.   He'll only get to aim for it two times this year.

Wow, I knew Gallo had been bad the last few seasons, but I didn't realize he'd been "that" bad. I'm honestly surprised he's still in the game with those numbers. Then again, it's the Nats so is he really still in the game?