MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Sure, which is exactly why getting worked up that Roch isn't some "newshound" is pretty silly.

I suspect that Roch would be the first to tell you that he's not a modern-day Mike Wallace.  Nonetheless he provides plenty of actual news along with informed commentary and I don't see any evidence that he's actively propagandizing at the behest of John Angelos.  It's time to take Roch and Melewski and the rest for what they are and not what you might hope they were.

It's also time to shoot a few bucks (or more that a few) in the direction of your local news outlets because a broad funding base is the lifeblood of principled reporting.  Pay attention to the train wreck just now starting to unfold at the Baltimore Sun as an example of what happens when you don't.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hoskins got 2/34 from the Brewers.  Another potential comp for Santander next year.

Also further evidence that Burnes isn’t getting traded before the season. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hoskins got 2/34 from the Brewers.  Another potential comp for Santander next year.

Hoskins is basically a 1B version of Santander with one big difference. He's historical been a great OBP guy too. I know him missing last season due to injury might have supressed his value a bit, but it's getting harder and harder for me to see a path for Santander to get more than a two year deal next year.  

21 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Hoskins is basically a 1B version of Santander with one big difference. He's historical been a great OBP guy too. I know him missing last season due to injury might have supressed his value a bit, but it's getting harder and harder for me to see a path for Santander to get more than a two year deal next year.  

Right now. I wouldn't tag him with a QO.

34 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The injury is a pretty huge factor.  And, he was a poor defender to begin with and his mobility may be further hampered by the injury even once he’s able to play.  So, I don’t think Hoskins’ situation says much about Santander.  I don’t really feel like having a prolonged debate on it since there’s a whole season to be played before Santander is a free agent, and how he performs in 2024 will have a large impact on his marketability.  

36 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Depends if Santander repeats this year again. Hoskins not only missed a full season but is a year old than Santander will be, and has less defensive value. He also hasn’t had the great OBP since 2020.

I could see Santander anywhere from a 1-4 year deal, depending on how spendy teams are next offseason.

9 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nevin was our Lewyn Diaz replacement. Johnson is our Daz Cameron replacement. 

Pretty sure Diaz was the same signing as O’Hearn - a lefty 1B/DH bat to spell Mountcastle and McCann. Thankfully one of them worked out, but Nevin seeing any major league time would be a disaster.

52 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Yep…I think 2/40 would be his max and that’s if he has a really good 2024..in all likelihood, he’s a 2/30ish type guy.  As CoC said, you don’t offer him a QO. For 21 million for 1 year, I think he takes that.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Yep…I think 2/40 would be his max and that’s if he has a really good 2024..in all likelihood, he’s a 2/30ish type guy.  As CoC said, you don’t offer him a QO. For 21 million for 1 year, I think he takes that.

I think his value as a switch hitter is huge to us given our propensity to draft LHH, platoon heavily, and the wall. We’ve got Mayo coming up, but besides that it’s just Adley, Hays, Mountcastle, Westburg at the top of the order vs LHP

3 minutes ago, brooooksy said:

I think his value as a switch hitter is huge to us given our propensity to draft LHH, platoon heavily, and the wall. We’ve got Mayo coming up, but besides that it’s just Adley, Hays, Mountcastle, Westburg at the top of the order vs LHP

The whole switch hitting thing doesn’t matter if you aren’t good hitting from both sides of the plate.  Most switch hitters are inconsistent at that. Santander has multiple years where he struggled on one side and was good on another.  

I would rather just have the better player and not be so worried about things like that and we have several guys with a higher upside that play the same positions he does.

Signing him to a multi year deal means there was a failure by someone.  Whether it’s a player not putting in the work, the PD people not getting the most of a player, etc…but we should be able to get a 2-3 WAR CI/COF/DH type guy from our system or we should be able to find a Renato Nunez guy that can give us 25-30 Homers and a 750ish OPS for a fraction of the cost.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The whole switch hitting thing doesn’t matter if you aren’t good hitting from both sides of the plate.  Most switch hitters are inconsistent at that. Santander has multiple years where he struggled on one side and was good on another.  

I would rather just have the better player and not be so worried about things like that and we have several guys with a higher upside that play the same positions he does.

Signing him to a multi year deal means there was a failure by someone.  Whether it’s a player not putting in the work, the PD people not getting the most of a player, etc…but we should be able to get a 2-3 WAR CI/COF/DH type guy from our system or we should be able to find a Renato Nunez guy that can give us 25-30 Homers and a 750ish OPS for a fraction of the cost.

His career splits are .758 and .785 from each side of the plate. Not sure what the point is of debating that some years he’s better on one side or the other when the overall result is pretty close.

I don’t actually think we’ll see him back here, but I think he’s more valuable to us because of our lack of RHH and platoon matchups than you’re letting on.