MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

19 hours ago, Just Regular said:

In Fan-festive news, the Reds GM told season ticket holders the Club has no plans to offer Joey Votto a contract.

I guess Votto will do better than Trey Mancini's minor league invite, and the Blue Jays haven't back-filled their Brandon Belt type guy yet.

Votto is 8700 PA of 144 OPS+, new Hall of Famer Todd Helton ~10 years his elder was 9400 PA of 133 OPS+

Good for the Reds.  They narrowly missed the playoffs last year, and they have an exciting group of young players.  Votto had a great career and was extremely well paid for it.  They don’t owe him anything, they’ve been paying him $25 mm/yr while he earned negative WAR the last two seasons.  If Votto is smart, he’ll retire.   

Who knows what the real point of the tweet was, it just says they are still active in the SP market and then tossed in the Lorenzen name.  At this point I think Elias is just looking at all his options.  This could also be a tactic to let a team like the White Sox know he will go in another direction soon if they don't agree to our Cease offer.

Who knows.

I will say starting the year with Lorenzen + Means and all of your prospects for trade bait at the deadline isn't the worst thing in the world.

1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

Who knows what the real point of the tweet was, it just says they are still active in the SP market and then tossed in the Lorenzen name.  At this point I think Elias is just looking at all his options.  This could also be a tactic to let a team like the White Sox know he will go in another direction soon if they don't agree to our Cease offer.

Who knows.

I will say starting the year with Lorenzen + Means and all of your prospects for trade bait at the deadline isn't the worst thing in the world.

Yea because Elias would have shown us he’s willing to move real prospects for legit ML talent!

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Once more.  They’ve “shown interest in” means zilch but Lorentzen is just a sideways move from Gibson.   It’s kind of like a boxers corner throwing in the towel.

Yeah. They had interest in Paxton too, so I'm not reading much into this. 

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

Who knows.

Agreed.  Lorenzen is probably a slight upgrade over Gibson without the track record of bulk innings.   There was a blurb on the WS board suggesting that Getz wants Mayo.   I’d rather pass and although Lorenzen would be a boring pickup I wouldn’t classify it as horrible.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea because Elias would have shown us he’s willing to move real prospects for legit ML talent!

I am happy our GM isn't getting fleeced in a deal just so he can say he made a deal for a SP.  If he can't get his guy for a reasonable offer then move on.  Who knows what the offer package is though.  If it is true that it is Mayo or bust maybe passing on Cease makes the most sense.

• Upvote 2

We will get some quotes from Elias today at the Birdland Caravan. He's been pretty quiet this offseason in the soundbite department. I don't expect him to reveal much, but he's going to get some questions about the lack of moves for sure. Maybe some injury updates and the like. 

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/the-questions-begin-at-birdland-caravan

Edited by interloper

2 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Imagine if we sign Lorenzen for 10-11 million. That's 22-23 million between him and Kimbrel we could have just given a real picther 

Thing is, “real pitchers” don’t sign for only one year.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Imagine if we sign Lorenzen for 10-11 million. That's 22-23 million between him and Kimbrel we could have just given a real picther 

Then we are still looking for a back end of the bullpen guy.  I don't know how Kimbrel will work out but I think bringing in someone to fill the Bautista loss was necessary.  How Kimbrel actually performs, I don't know, but at least we got someone with a closer track record.