MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

25 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Imagine if we sign Lorenzen for 10-11 million. That's 22-23 million between him and Kimbrel we could have just given a real picther 

Who signed a 1-year 22M contract?

26 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Then we are still looking for a back end of the bullpen guy.  I don't know how Kimbrel will work out but I think bringing in someone to fill the Bautista loss was necessary.  How Kimbrel actually performs, I don't know, but at least we got someone with a closer track record.

I was wondering if the O's would try to get in on trading for Jensen from the RedSox.  The Sox are trying to clear up about 10 mil in salary space to try and sign a Snell or Montgomery. The O's could probably flip a couple C+/B- prospects for Jensen and have the Sox pick up about 6 Mil of his salary (owed 16 Mil I believe). However, the risk is that allows the Red Sox to get better by signing Snell/Montgomery.

3 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I was wondering if the O's would try to get in on trading for Jensen from the RedSox.  The Sox are trying to clear up about 10 mil in salary space to try and sign a Snell or Montgomery. The O's could probably flip a couple C+/B- prospects for Jensen and have the Sox pick up about 6 Mil of his salary (owed 16 Mil I believe). However, the risk is that allows the Red Sox to get better by signing Snell/Montgomery.

Right... let's just go ahead and help a division opponent just because.

Domingo German

https://nypost.com/2024/01/24/sports/domingo-german-has-offers-for-mlb-return-after-alcohol-abuse-treatment/?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=nypost&utm_medium=social

The former Yankee is in talks with six teams, a source familiar with Germán’s situation said, including AL East foes the Blue Jays and Orioles.

NY Post says it would be a bad move for the O's.

Just now, oriolediehard said:

Domingo German

https://nypost.com/2024/01/24/sports/domingo-german-has-offers-for-mlb-return-after-alcohol-abuse-treatment/?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=nypost&utm_medium=social

The former Yankee is in talks with six teams, a source familiar with Germán’s situation said, including AL East foes the Blue Jays and Orioles.

NY Post says it would be a bad move for the O's.

If you are going to go that route, why not look at Trevor Bauer?

I don’t like Lorenzen at all. They’d have to be confident they could unlock more from him to make him even worth giving innings over Irvin. I’d rather Junis if they are going to go the route of a guy who is somewhere between a SP and a RP, and I don’t even really want Junis either.

However, I won’t be upset if it doesn’t preclude them adding another SP through trade. Cabrera and Woo/Miller are pre-arb and the payroll is still crazy low, and even Cease is only $8M this year. 

If the plan is Lorenzen/Ryu/whoever FA SP plus either (1) a cheap SP via trade and a more expensive 1-yr RP like Brazier/Robertson, or (2) Cease, then that’s ok. But if it’s Lorenzen/Ryu and nobody else and not even an additional RP because the FA SP is using up all our remaining payroll space, then I don’t even want to bother with the FA SP and would rather at a minimum get a better RP. 

1 minute ago, oriolediehard said:

Is Clayton Kershaw a free agent?  If so, I wish the O's could sign him if a reasonable price!  I know he is injury prone.

He wouldn’t come here and he’s not pitching until midseason at the earliest.

Edited by Sports Guy

At this point, any Lorenzen/Ryu/Domingo type is just kind of the same guy. It's just depth for a rotation that will be fronted by Bradish, Grayson, and Means. Which is fine I guess? If that's the route we're going. It's going to be a decent rotation if guys stay healthy. Remains to be seen how Elias addresses various logjams, but he will have to do something. 

16 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Is Clayton Kershaw a free agent?  If so, I wish the O's could sign him if a reasonable price!  I know he is injury prone.

Kershaw is on the shelf until June or July after surgery.

And in the past it has been pretty clear that he would only pitch for the Dodgers or for a team in his home state of Texas.

16 minutes ago, interloper said:

Right, because alcohol abuse and women abuse are equitable. 

German also slapped his wife at a team event:

In September 2019, Germán and his girlfriend attended a charity gala held by then-teammate CC Sabathia. Many of Germán’s 2019 teammates were also there with their families. Germán slapped his girlfriend at the event, sources said, but the MLB investigation focused primarily on what happened at his home later that night.

According to multiple league sources, including a person with knowledge of the MLB investigation, Germán was intoxicated and became physically violent toward his girlfriend until she hid in a locked room. The victim is said to have contacted the wife of another Yankees player, and the couple drove to Germán’s home late at night. The victim remained with the teammate’s wife, while the player attempted to calm down Germán, who is said to have been angry and belligerent.

https://theathletic.com/4223433/2021/02/21/new-details-emerge-in-yankees-domingo-germans-domestic-violence-incident/#comment-14259377

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

German also slapped his wife at a team event:

In September 2019, Germán and his girlfriend attended a charity gala held by then-teammate CC Sabathia. Many of Germán’s 2019 teammates were also there with their families. Germán slapped his girlfriend at the event, sources said, but the MLB investigation focused primarily on what happened at his home later that night.

According to multiple league sources, including a person with knowledge of the MLB investigation, Germán was intoxicated and became physically violent toward his girlfriend until she hid in a locked room. The victim is said to have contacted the wife of another Yankees player, and the couple drove to Germán’s home late at night. The victim remained with the teammate’s wife, while the player attempted to calm down Germán, who is said to have been angry and belligerent.

https://theathletic.com/4223433/2021/02/21/new-details-emerge-in-yankees-domingo-germans-domestic-violence-incident/#comment-14259377

Didn't know that, thanks. Yeah I don't want any of these types of idiots. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1