Roch wants us to lower expectations

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

All of a sudden I 'm supposed to believe Roch is being fed information so he can help manage the expectations of the fans.  The same Roch who the team, it seems, has never been given a scoop on anything.

He works for THE TEAM for god's sake. He has about as much free will in his job as a North Korean citizen. And the reason he doesn't get "scoops" is because the people that do typically report the news before the team want to go public with the information. 

36 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

He works for THE TEAM for god's sake. He has about as much free will in his job as a North Korean citizen. And the reason he doesn't get "scoops" is because the people that do typically report the news before the team want to go public with the information. 

You almost never see anything reported on the Orioles until the deal is done.   He never even has contract details before anyone else.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I don't think the team tells Roch what to write.  He's been wrong about so many things.   I do think he knows it behooves him to put a generally positive spin on things and writes accordingly.  He's seems like a good enough dude but he doesn't seem to have any more info than others in the industry.

17 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

On Thursday night’s episode of Hot Stove on MASN… Elias said we were looking for a starting pitcher to slot in behind Bradish and Grayson. So a #3. 

I’d say Cease is a #3 in the AL East. 

That translates to better than John Means, but in reality we will get Wacha or trade for Paul Blackburn, or most likely a waiver claim and another infielder 

5 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

Yeah, I don't think the team tells Roch what to write.  He's been wrong about so many things.   I do think he knows it behooves him to put a generally positive spin on things and writes accordingly.  He's seems like a good enough dude but he doesn't seem to have any more info than others in the industry.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.  And I’ll add, Roch is something of a sad sack, despite the humorous vein of many of his columns.  His expectations for player acquisitions are always low (and deservedly so).  

15 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

Much of the shine that Elias has created will be gone if he fails this off-season. The failure to improve the club at the break was bad, this will be worse. He has the means to make a strong move. The time has come for him to make some decisions . 

Snore.  People complained loudly after last offseason.   I graded it a D in the OH poll.  Then the team won 101 games and I stopped worrying about it.  

My point is, the shine will be off if the team stops winning.   If they keep winning, people will forget about the offseason.  

And by the way, it’s closer to the start of the offseason than the end.   Most of the big names are still on the board.   So it’s too soon to start getting worked up about this.   There will be plenty of time to complain in late February if nothing significant has happened.   

• Upvote 1