The 26 man roster as of today

RZNJ

33 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

OP nailed it except for Webb over Tate to start the year. 

It’s not really a prediction of what the OD roster will be.  Just the way it sits right now with options and everything.  For Ortiz and company to make the team it gives you an idea of who would need to go and we know Elias doesn’t like to just let pieces go.

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I assume the bench list is designed to solicit discussion because nobody would really think that will be the bench and Cowser/Kjerstad will start in Norfolk. 

Pretty much.  Hard to believe one of Kjerstad/Cowser don’t make the team but do they replace Hilliard/McKenna or maybe O’Hearn?   If Kjerstad and O’Hearn are both on the team they are kind of redundant.  DH/1B/RF not so great defensively.  Does Mateo make the team and act as the backup CF or do they need to keep McKenna or Hilliard?

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Pretty much.  Hard to believe one of Kjerstad/Cowser don’t make the team but do they replace Hilliard/McKenna or maybe O’Hearn?   If Kjerstad and O’Hearn are both on the team they are kind of redundant.  DH/1B/RF not so great defensively.  Does Mateo make the team and act as the backup CF or do they need to keep McKenna or Hilliard?

I would be a very Orioles thing to keep OHearn on the team and force one of Cowser/Kjerstad to Norfolk, so I can see your point. However, it’s time for Elias to push his chips in on some of these young guys. Mateo on the team over Ortiz is another one that really bothers me. 

Of course, any of them could be traded and that creates some room. 

• Upvote 1

I don't see Mateo on the opening day lineup. Urias makes way more sense to keep, in my opinion. He has the better bat, he's a more versatile fielder, and he accumulates more WAR.

Urias hits righties better than lefties. 

Ortiz hits lefties better than righties.

I think an infield of: Gunnar, Westburg, Urias, Ortiz, Mountcastle, and O'Hearn will start the year. Then you have Mayo and Holiday trying to push their way into the picture by midseason.

Edited by TommyPickles

11 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I would be a very Orioles thing to keep OHearn on the team and force one of Cowser/Kjerstad to Norfolk, so I can see your point. However, it’s time for Elias to push his chips in on some of these young guys. Mateo on the team over Ortiz is another one that really bothers me. 

Of course, any of them could be traded and that creates some room. 

“We don’t want all rookies going through their growing pains at the same time,” executive vice president/general manager Mike Elias said at last week’s Winter Meetings in Nashville."

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2023/12/11/elias-winter-meetings/

Either Holliday or Ortiz are likely added to the infield and Cowser probably as a 4th outfielder.   This comment from Elias sounds like there is limit to how many rookies the will have going through their adjustment period at the same time.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Is that the only place we could use a difference maker?

Of course not.  I would look to upgrade 1B/DH and even potentially the outfield.  But this front office refuses to be aggressive, and Roch's blog not to expect anything in the rotation likely applies to the rest of the roster as well. Especially since the rotation has been the talk, since day 1, where we could expect upgrades. 

21 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The Hilliard McKenna thing is interesting. Could be keeping options open depending on who of Ortiz/Kjerstad/Cowser makes the team and who of Hays/Santander/Urias/Mateo is traded. I would be shocked if both are on the active roster on opening day.

I think Hicks comes back. He’s the 4th OF, starts vs LHP. McKenna and Hilliard battle for the 5th OF spot. I think Hilliard wins out as he’s got some upside. Stowers, Kjerstad, and Cowser, all start in AAA. No need for any of them to stay on the bench. McKenna goes at the end of ST. He either gets waived, or maybe some team trades something really small for him. 

Assuming health and the as of today roster makeup. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think Hicks comes back. He’s the 4th OF, starts vs LHP. McKenna and Hilliard battle for the 5th OF spot. I think Hilliard wins out as he’s got some upside. Stowers, Kjerstad, and Cowser, all start in AAA. No need for any of them to stay on the bench. McKenna goes at the end of ST. He either gets waived, or maybe some team trades something really small for him. 

Assuming health and the as of today roster makeup. 

A solid theory. The only thing is I keep going back to the Hicks quote when we picked him up about getting the opportunity to start every day. That was of course when Mullins was hurt. And it did seem to help his production. So I think it will depend on if he thinks he can land a "start most of the time" role somewhere else. Here he would be a platoon guy at the very most, assuming everyone is healthy. 

But if he doesn't find an opportunity, it could be a logical reunion at the end of the off-season. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

A solid theory. The only thing is I keep going back to the Hicks quote when we picked him up about getting the opportunity to start every day. That was of course when Mullins was hurt. And it did seem to help his production. So I think it will depend on if he thinks he can land a "start most of the time" role somewhere else. Here he would be a platoon guy at the very most, assuming everyone is healthy. 

But if he doesn't find an opportunity, it could be a logical reunion at the end of the off-season. 

Between the 3 OF spots, DH, and injuries… Hicks is basically a starter when he’s healthy. Then it’s a matter of do we favor Hilliard or McKenna.  Hilliard isn’t a bad fill in if Mullins were to go down.