The 26 man roster as of today

RZNJ

18 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Between the 3 OF spots, DH, and injuries… Hicks is basically a starter when he’s healthy. Then it’s a matter of do we favor Hilliard or McKenna.  Hilliard isn’t a bad fill in if Mullins were to go down. 

From Elias own quotes it sounds like those DH/COF AB are going to someone in house.   I don't think Hicks is much of a CF anymore and he's not getting any younger.  A big surprise if he's back.  

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

From Elias own quotes it sounds like those DH/COF AB are going to someone in house.   I don't think Hicks is much of a CF anymore and he's not getting any younger.  A big surprise if he's back.  

Hicks isn’t but he’s capable of filling in if Mullins goes down. Cowser looked really bad out there. Hicks fits with this team for next year. He’s a SH role player. Personally, I like Hicks and Hilliard for the 4th and 5th OF spots. You need guys like that over 162. We got lucky last year they Hays and Santa avoided the IL. 

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hicks isn’t but he’s capable of filling in if Mullins goes down. Cowser looked really bad out there. Hicks fits with this team for next year. He’s a SH role player. Personally, I like Hicks and Hilliard for the 4th and 5th OF spots. You need guys like that over 162. We got lucky last year they Hays and Santa avoided the IL. 

I don't think Elias agrees with you.  One of McKenna or Hilliard will be backup  CF, late defensive  replacement and one of Kjerstad/Cowser make team as 4th Of/DH.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

A lot depends on how Cowser looks in center in ST.

Maybe but I think they like having a RH compliment to Mullins and McKenna is plus at all 3 spots.   My best guess is that Kjerstad & Cowser are fighting for one spot.  If Kjerstad wins that battle, the backup CF is either McKenna, Hilliard, or Mateo.  They won’t keep Cowser to use him sparingly even if he looks better in CF.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Between the 3 OF spots, DH, and injuries… Hicks is basically a starter when he’s healthy. Then it’s a matter of do we favor Hilliard or McKenna.  Hilliard isn’t a bad fill in if Mullins were to go down. 

Where do you see Cowser/Kjerstad fitting in, if at all? Even if Cowser is at Norfolk or traded, it's tough to fit Mullins, Hays, Santander, Hicks, Hilliard, and Kjerstad on the 26-man. 

Just now, interloper said:

Where do you see Cowser/Kjerstad fitting in, if at all? Even if Cowser is at Norfolk or traded, it's tough to fit Mullins, Hays, Santander, Hicks, Hilliard, and Kjerstad on the 26-man. 

Right.  You can either have two reserve IF or two reserve OF.  Mateo can possibly give you both.   Hilliard being LH, I believe, puts him behind the 8 ball, because Kjerstad is probably the favorite for one bench spot as the 4th OF/DH.   Backup CF probably comes down to Mateo vs McKenna.  Can’t see both of those two making the team.   

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Will you give me odds on nether Hilliard or McKenna being on the opening day roster?

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Will you give me odds on nether Hilliard or McKenna being on the opening day roster?

60%.  Good chance the bench is McCann,Urias,Mateo,Kjerstad.  Unless trades.

7 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

I think the odds of McKenna or Hilliard being on the team are much higher than for Hicks.  I’ve seen nothing that makes me think they are considering a return engagement.

On 12/12/2023 at 2:37 PM, RZNJ said:

Maybe but I think they like having a RH compliment to Mullins and McKenna is plus at all 3 spots.   My best guess is that Kjerstad & Cowser are fighting for one spot.  If Kjerstad wins that battle, the backup CF is either McKenna, Hilliard, or Mateo.  They won’t keep Cowser to use him sparingly even if he looks better in CF.

Hilliard is a lefty,  McKenna is likely a sub 300 OBP vs lefties or righties.   Mateo has 9 starts  in the MLB in CF and 29 in the minors.  I have not seen enough of him in center to have an opinion.  Just because he is fast does not mean he is a good CF.

Cowser splits vs lefties at AAA last year were 76 AB  263/346/329/747 with 3 homers.

Elias may not be done with backing up Mullins this off season.  Especially after two seasons of 721 OPS.

28 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hilliard is a lefty,  McKenna is likely a sub 300 OBP vs lefties or righties.   Mateo has 9 starts  in the MLB in CF and 29 in the minors.  I have not seen enough of him in center to have an opinion.  Just because he is fast does not mean he is a good CF.

Cowser splits vs lefties at AAA last year were 76 AB  263/346/329/747 with 3 homers.

Elias may not be done with backing up Mullins this off season.  Especially after two seasons of 721 OPS.

Do you think O’Hearn, Kjerstad, and Cowser can all make the 26 man if none of the starting OF is traded?  I do not.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Do you think O’Hearn, Kjerstad, and Cowser can all make the 26 man if none of the starting OF is traded?  I do not.

Right now I think Kjerstad works on his defense at AAA to begin the season.  But he will be up during the season. Same with Mayo.

Edited by wildcard

58 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Right now I think Kjerstad works on his defense at AAA to begin the season.  But he will be up during the season. Same with Mayo.

Early in the season is the worst time to trade a player.  If Kjerstad, Mayo, Holliday, Ortiz are all putting up .900 OPS in Norfolk, it won't help the O's at all, especially if they have pitching holes to fill.

With all this talk about the outfield, let's take a look at who's currently in the organization that can play Major League Center Field, shall we?

1. Cedric Mullins

2.Austin Hays

3.Ryan McKenna

4.Colton Cowser (not really a true center fielder though. If we're relying on him there, I wouldn't feel comfortable about the defense.)

5. Jorge Mateo (see same comment about Colton Cowser.)

Beyond that, it goes into minor leaguers who I haven't been evaluated at Centerfield enough. We all know Bradfield will be good, but how long we will have to wait for him to gain Pro experience + fulfill his expected potential is the other issue.