Orioles Acquire Jonathan Heasley from Royals

LookinUp

Heasley has above average spin rates on his fastball and curveball, but is coming of a really poor year between AAA and the majors. Had a pretty good slider in 2022 that he ditched to throw the sweeper more last year but the results weren't there.

Here's what I wrote about Espinal:

72. Cesar Espinal – RHP (DSL): Repeated the DSL despite playing at 17-years old all season. He's a 6-2 beanpole with a 89-91 MPH fastball and feel for a slider and change. As with a lot of these young pitches in the DSL, the hope is if he fills out there is more velocity in the tanka and with above average command, that makes him works keeping an eye on next year in the FCL.

Heasley looks like a depth piece to me who the Orioles will try to reshape a bit. They certainly have had some success with guys like Jorge Lopez, Perez, Baker and Coloumbe. 

The Orioles have a pretty good track record of finding guys who they be able to fix a bit, and Espinal is a low-ceiling lottery ticket so why not? If Heasley provides some good innings this year the trade should be worth it.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, dedwretched said:

She was in my grade in high school and we rode the same school bus. I know nothing about Maryland politics. Why is she so annoying?

I thought Ripken was being sarcastic. She pretty much told Angelos and Moore to F off today. It sounded like she was as much behind the original garbage deal being tanked as Ferguson. And then she actually showed she follows the team and baseball and called the team out to make a legitimate pitcher acquisition. Not really sure what there is to find fault over here.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I thought Ripken was being sarcastic. She pretty much told Angelos and Moore to F off today. It sounded like she was as much behind the original garbage deal being tanked as Ferguson. And then she actually showed she follows the team and baseball and called the team out to make a legitimate pitcher acquisition. Not really sure what there is to find fault over here.

Amazing we can’t even discuss a comptroller without getting political. A freaking comptroller!

• Upvote 1

The BP Annual last year had the detail he gets himself so pumped up he's had several throwing up incidents in games.    He's given quotes how it is not an illness.

As it happens, BP today published some 2024 PECOTA data - he got Jason Berken as his #1 comparable, which I think conjures a nice Orioles-flavored image.

• Upvote 1