Orioles Acquire Jonathan Heasley from Royals

LookinUp

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't think Espinal has the upside of De Leon. He's known more for his control than his stuff with a hope that his stuff will take a jump. He was definitely one of the better arms in the DSL for the Orioles, but at the same time, there's a long way to go for him. 

If the Orioles can fix Heasley, and their recent history suggests they very well may be able to, then getting a major league ready pitcher with an option for a contending team is worth a DSL lottery ticket. I think these are the kinds of moves you make when you're a real contender. 

That doesn't mean that Espinal may not turn into something, but the odds are truly against him, especially without a jump in stuff. Remember, I get a pretty good idea about these guys from my conversations and Sosa was put on the list despite his bad stats because of his upside. Espinal is more of the other way by getting on the list by performing well but with less ceiling.

Sosa also grew three inches between 17 and 18 years old.

I’m okay if they experiment with him at AAA. If this is the replacement for Fuji then I don’t like the move. I think we need to be beyond experimental projects now that we are in the competitive window. I’m certainly fine with what we gave up. I just would be happier if they focused on quality over the unknown quantity types.

10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’m okay if they experiment with him at AAA. If this is the replacement for Fuji then I don’t like the move. I think we need to be beyond experimental projects now that we are in the competitive window. I’m certainly fine with what we gave up. I just would be happier if they focused on quality over the unknown quantity types.

Well they did bring in Kimbrel so they have brought in a veteran reliever. I see him as a depth piece, not a guy who has a guaranteed job.

I saw it mentioned yesterday that Heasley pitched a stellar game against us on June 10, 2022: 7 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 K’s.  I guess he made a good impression on our management.  That’s his only appearance against the Orioles.  Can’t say I remember this game, but here’s the game thread.  It’s pretty funny to read because it was before the O’s turned around their season, Adley wasn’t hitting and the mood of the posters was just super-sour.  Getting one-hit by a pitcher with no track record of success wasn’t helping to brighten the mood.  

• Upvote 1

From Roch:

A scout from another organization who’s filed reports on Heasley praises the right-hander for being “a great makeup kid, great presence on the mound.”

“Probably average stuff with better makeup,” he said. “Really can pitch. Very aggressive with hitters. He came up to the big leagues probably a year too early for him, but guys move quickly now. He had some starts where he really competed well. The fastball was a little true, really good curveball. I thought that was his best pitch. I think he’s added a cutter or slider-type pitch.

“He’s been more middle relief, and I think that’s his future in the game, a mid-reliever type, can spot start for you. A one- or two-inning guy who can come in and hold them once through the lineup. I really like him. The makeup is what you’re looking for when you’re looking for major leaguers. It’s just, the stuff was average.

“I’d give his curveball an above-average pitch, fastball being average and other stuff. But I think they’re going to like him. Pitching on a competing club for the World Series every year, he never had the chance to do that with them. A lot of guys are better like that. When their club’s doing better, they do better.”

“I think Heasley is a little bit better than what O’Hearn was when the Orioles got him. I know it’s a different position, but I think Heasley’s ready to compete at the major league level. He’s a strike thrower, which is always good in this game today, and I think there’s some things that can help him.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/more-information-on-heasley-through-a-scout-s-eyes

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

From Roch:

A scout from another organization who’s filed reports on Heasley praises the right-hander for being “a great makeup kid, great presence on the mound.”

“Probably average stuff with better makeup,” he said. “Really can pitch. Very aggressive with hitters. He came up to the big leagues probably a year too early for him, but guys move quickly now. He had some starts where he really competed well. The fastball was a little true, really good curveball. I thought that was his best pitch. I think he’s added a cutter or slider-type pitch.

“He’s been more middle relief, and I think that’s his future in the game, a mid-reliever type, can spot start for you. A one- or two-inning guy who can come in and hold them once through the lineup. I really like him. The makeup is what you’re looking for when you’re looking for major leaguers. It’s just, the stuff was average.

“I’d give his curveball an above-average pitch, fastball being average and other stuff. But I think they’re going to like him. Pitching on a competing club for the World Series every year, he never had the chance to do that with them. A lot of guys are better like that. When their club’s doing better, they do better.”

“I think Heasley is a little bit better than what O’Hearn was when the Orioles got him. I know it’s a different position, but I think Heasley’s ready to compete at the major league level. He’s a strike thrower, which is always good in this game today, and I think there’s some things that can help him.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/more-information-on-heasley-through-a-scout-s-eyes

He threw a lot of strikes this year…but prior to that, he was well below average.

13 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

It's starting to look like this is our addition. The trades could be held.up by Montgomery and Snell but I don't like the looks of this. This looks like a 'we like our guys' situation. 

Reality check: this is the fan perception every December. We're disappointed that we got nothing for Christmas, but the offseason deals have only just begun. 

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Honestly.  There are many options still on the table.  

There are, but the prices we are hearing in trades and dollars are sky-high. Every one of us has made comments to the effect of 'that's too much for him' or 'no way I would pay that much'. I hope I am wrong because standing pat, is never a good strategy.