What about Mayo?

RZNJ

I think it's crazy to carry both Mateo and Urias when Gunnar, Holliday, and Westburg can play SS.  Mateo gives us 4 guys that can plan SS and Urias can in a pinch as well.  Are other teams being super difficult in trade talks because they know we have a serious roster crunch?  I image these trades and roster movements are all about timing. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, emmett16 said:

I think it's crazy to carry both Mateo and Urias when Gunnar, Holliday, and Westburg can play SS.  Mateo gives us 4 guys that can plan SS and Urias can in a pinch as well.  Are other teams being super difficult in trade talks because they know we have a serious roster crunch?  I image these trades and roster movements are all about timing. 

I think if we do carry Mateo and Urias, it will be at the expense of McKenna, with Mateo filling that role of 5th OF. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/17/2024 at 5:00 PM, Gurgi said:

Do you have ideas of who to move?  Mountcastle?  Westburg?   O'Hearn probably stays because he is a lefty.  

I think you could move Mountcastle because he cant play anything but first and DH.  Someone might give us a bullpen arm for him.  

If it were up to me, I would trade Westburg.  He's going to be a good player but he doesn't have near the upside of Mayo, Gunnar or Holliday. 

If Mayo is still seen as a liability defensively at 3B, then sure, send him back to Norfolk to keep working on his defense and let Westburg play 3B regularly.  But if Mayo is considered to be good enough with the glove, I don't think he should switch positions and I don't think that Westburg should be blocking him.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

If it were up to me, I would trade Westburg.  He's going to be a good player but he doesn't have near the upside of Mayo, Gunnar or Holliday. 

If Mayo is still seen as a liability defensively at 3B, then sure, send him back to Norfolk to keep working on his defense and let Westburg play 3B regularly.  But if Mayo is considered to be good enough with the glove, I don't think he should switch positions and I don't think that Westburg should be blocking him.  

I would rather see Westburg take on Urias' role and if that impacts any trade return, so be it.

5 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I would rather see Westburg take on Urias' role and if that impacts any trade return, so be it.

Westburg has more upside than Urias, for sure.  I guess for me it depends on what we could get in return.   I'm assuming that you could get a lot more back for Westburg.  

I can also see an argument for patience in this case.  Westburg played well last year in the majors, but he never showed the home run power that he had in the minors.  If he can bring that into his game this year in Baltimore, his trade value jumps.  Maybe let him play his way into being a better trade chip and let Mayo continue to develop in Norfolk for half a season.  

I think Mayo will become a fixture at 3B in Baltimore eventually, though.  

5 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Westburg has more upside than Urias, for sure.  I guess for me it depends on what we could get in return.   I'm assuming that you could get a lot more back for Westburg.  

I can also see an argument for patience in this case.  Westburg played well last year in the majors, but he never showed the home run power that he had in the minors.  If he can bring that into his game this year in Baltimore, his trade value jumps.  Maybe let him play his way into being a better trade chip and let Mayo continue to develop in Norfolk for half a season.  

I think Mayo will become a fixture at 3B in Baltimore eventually, though.  

I think it's more likely than Holliday eventually moves to SS, with Gunnar moving to 3b, Westburg at 2b, and Mayo shifting to another position. 

2 minutes ago, deward said:

I think it's more likely than Holliday eventually moves to SS, with Gunnar moving to 3b, Westburg at 2b, and Mayo shifting to another position. 

Holliday probably will never be the regular Oriole SS even IF Henderson leaves but definitely not while Gunnar is still an Oriole.  The good thing is that Holliday knows it and understands it.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Holliday probably will never be the regular Oriole SS even IF Henderson leaves but definitely not while Gunnar is still an Oriole.  The good thing is that Holliday knows it and understands it.

I don't know if that's probable. Holliday doesn't have to turn into a better defender than Gunnar for that alignment to make the most sense for the team. 

6 minutes ago, deward said:

I don't know if that's probable. Holliday doesn't have to turn into a better defender than Gunnar for that alignment to make the most sense for the team. 

Gunnar at SS and Holliday at 2B does make the most sense for the team.   Elias and Hyde agree,  IMO.   Of course, it will take another 5 years to prove it.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Gunnar at SS and Holliday at 2B does make the most sense for the team.   Elias and Hyde agree,  IMO.   Of course, it will take another 5 years to prove it.

We'll see. I expect they'll conclude that the most effective defensive alignment doesn't involve playing Mayo at third more than occasionally, even if he proves that he'd be a reasonable option there for most other teams. 

3 hours ago, deward said:

We'll see. I expect they'll conclude that the most effective defensive alignment doesn't involve playing Mayo at third more than occasionally, even if he proves that he'd be a reasonable option there for most other teams. 

Most teams put their best defender at SS, not 3B.   Henderson is the most talented infielder on the team.  2B is probably the best spot for Holliday.   The Orioles may or may not be comfortable with Mayos defense at 3B.  Pretty sure they are comfortable with Westburg and Urias over there.   Teams don't generally rearrange their best middle infield defense so they can put their best guy at 3B.