What about Mayo?

RZNJ

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It’s nice to have a lot of young talented players but my goodness the never ending debate about the infield and who plays where is absolutely exhausting. 

It comes down to this.   Some players that are ready for the majors are going to AAA.  When injuries or non performance happens at the major league level AAA players get promoted.

If the O's come up short on pitching Elias has players to trade for more pitching.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It comes down to this.   Some players that are ready for the majors are going to AAA.  When injuries or non performance happens at the major league level AAA players get promoted.

I had no idea that’s what it came down to. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

It’s nice to have a lot of young talented players but my goodness the never ending debate about the infield and who plays where is absolutely exhausting. 

I've started to feel the same to a degree, but that's what this board is here for. I get a feeling a few of the conversations are that way, but if they stopped, the board wouldn't have much going on.

11 hours ago, 24fps said:

I would rather see Westburg take on Urias' role and if that impacts any trade return, so be it.

+ some RHH OF opportunities in our LHH heavy OF.  It’s curious they havn’t had him out there more.  I think they can carve out 400+ ABs for Westy playing 3b, 2b, OF, & a few games at SS. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Most teams put their best defender at SS, not 3B.   Henderson is the most talented infielder on the team.  2B is probably the best spot for Holliday.   The Orioles may or may not be comfortable with Mayos defense at 3B.  Pretty sure they are comfortable with Westburg and Urias over there.   Teams don't generally rearrange their best middle infield defense so they can put their best guy at 3B.

Don’t underestimate inertia, either.  Once players have been at a position for a while, it’s tougher to move them.  

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I assume you mean eventual trade return on Westburg.  Urias is not being DFA'ed.  It is not in the Elias playbook.

Yes. But I don’t care if Elias gets full value on trades involving Urias, or for that matter Mateo and O’Hearn too. In regard to playing time, it’s time for Elias’ playbook to adapt. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Yes. But I don’t care if Elias gets full value on trades involving Urias, or for that matter Mateo and O’Hearn too. In regard to playing time, it’s time for Elias’ playbook to adapt. 

Has his playbook failed up to this point?

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

My thoughts exactly, along with the comment from someone yesterday pretty much saying 'let's see how good Elias is now that he has too much talent to work with.'  Rather than give him credit for accumulating so much talent, it's been twisted so that now he's actually created a problem.  My eyes hurt from rolling sometimes.

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

In regard to obstructing some of the players I’ve wanted to see given more opportunity, it’s been a resounding success. 

59 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

My thoughts exactly, along with the comment from someone yesterday pretty much saying 'let's see how good Elias is now that he has too much talent to work with.'  Rather than give him credit for accumulating so much talent, it's been twisted so that now he's actually created a problem.  My eyes hurt from rolling sometimes.

Competition is a feature not a bug.  Even if it means using AAA rosters, which is the primary complaint. 

If and injury happens to one of Gunnar, Westburg, or Holliday, then Mayo likely comes up. He also might come up if one of Mounty/O’Hearn gets injured and frees up DH. 

So that’s 5 guys out of our starting 9 where Mayo has a chance to come up and be their direct replacement. 

For Stowers, it’s Hays, Mullins, Cowser, Santa, Mounty, and O’Hearn. Again 5 guys that he’d be in the discussion to be their direct replacement. 

These guys aren’t as buried as people think. Hopefully, no injuries happen though. 🤞 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If and injury happens to one of Gunnar, Westburg, or Holliday, then Mayo likely comes up. He also might come up if one of Mounty/O’Hearn gets injured and frees up DH. 

So that’s 5 guys out of our starting 9 where Mayo has a chance to come up and be their direct replacement. 

For Stowers, it’s Hays, Mullins, Cowser, Santa, Mounty, and O’Hearn. Again 5 guys that he’d be in the discussion to be their direct replacement. 

These guys aren’t as buried as people think. Hopefully, no injuries happen though. 🤞 

Coby Mayo is one of the best prospects in baseball. He is 22, with as much AAA experience as Gunnar had.

He doesn't need an injury to open up a spot for him. He can force his way onto the roster.

8 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

I've started to feel the same to a degree, but that's what this board is here for. I get a feeling a few of the conversations are that way, but if they stopped, the board wouldn't have much going on.

I love it when someone gets all wound up about a post being “just speculation…”