What about Mayo?

RZNJ

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Mayo wlll be a starter in the infield some time in the future. He is not someone the O's traded.   

Mayo has shown he is a hitter with power but he has not shown he can play 1B or 3B well enough to beat out the guys ahead of him.   He will begin in AAA and when his defense catches up with his offense they will find a place for him.

Urias probably is not long for the O's with the competition that is on the roster and in the organization at 3B.   O'Hearn is in his walk year and I doubt he gets extended.   So both spots are places he can play when ready.  As well as DH.

Can Mayo really handle 3B?  I'm wondering if his range is going to be good enough.  I think he's likely to be promoted soon if not start the season in Baltimore because of his bat. 

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Can Mayo really handle 3B?  I'm wondering if his range is going to be good enough.  I think he's likely to be promoted soon if not start the season in Baltimore because of his bat. 

I don't see a reason to push him into beginning the season with the O's.   He needs more development in the minors.   

I think he is making progress defensively at 1B and 3B.   He is just not ready for a promotion at either position just yet IMO.

As of today, Westburg is the 2B and Urías is the 3B.  If Ortiz is not traded he’s certainly in that mix.  I see Urias more likely to be traded if Ortiz is around since Westburg, Henderson, and Ortiz can all play multiple positions and it makes it easier to carry Mateo as the sub.   I see two openings for prospects.  DH (Kjerstad?) and 3B/2B (Westburg plays one of them).

Personally, I'm ready to have a reaping!  Gunnar, Adley, Cedric, Grayson, Bradish, and... whoever isn't selected as tribute for the games!  Plenty of 'volunteers' to choose from.  May the odds ever be in Elias' favor of choosing wisely!

But ultimately, @Frobby is right in that we don't "have" to do anything.  Mr. 40-man isn't breathing down our neck at the moment.  We can "trust the plan". 

I don't think enough of the options ahead of him are moved for Mayo to make the OD currently.  Bump this thread if/when 3 to 4 of our current 26-man roster is traded, DFA'd, or released.  

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

We have a thread about the chances of Jackson Holliday making the OD roster.   Well, what about Mayo?  With 267 PA at AAA he’s passed the barrier it seems others have had to pass and he did it with a .905 OPS and strong plate discipline numbers.  “Experts”, including Tony, think he can be average at 3B.  Tony, himself, thinks Mayo makes the OD roster.   What say you?

That .905 OPS doesn't tell the whole story. Mayo started off AAA in a deep slump, but in his last 24 games (124 ABs) he hit .360 / .491 / .674 / 1.165. If I'm Elias then Coby Mayo would be given every opportunity to make the OD roster at 3B / 1B. Trade or give away Mateo, Urias, and maybe Mountcastle as well to make room for the kids. There's going to be a learning curve and some growing pains, maybe even a losing month or two. But Good Lord a year and a half from now we're going to be the Beast of the East. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

That .905 OPS doesn't tell the whole story. Mayo started off AAA in a deep slump, but in his last 24 games (124 ABs) he hit .360 / .491 / .674 / 1.165. If I'm Elias then Coby Mayo would be given every opportunity to make the OD roster at 3B / 1B. Trade or give away Mateo, Urias, and maybe Mountcastle as well to make room for the kids. There's going to be a learning curve and some growing pains, maybe even a losing month or two. But Good Lord a year and a half from now we're going to be the Beast of the East. 

I don’t think anyone of those guys need to be traded IF Mayo can play 3B.  Urias would be the perfect backup at 2B/3B and Mateo could be SS/CF off the bench.

25 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don’t think anyone of those guys need to be traded IF Mayo can play 3B.  Urias would be the perfect backup at 2B/3B and Mateo could be SS/CF off the bench.

Urias and Mateo are made redundant by Ortiz, Westburg, and Holliday. I like Mateo's speed and Urias' glove, but neither brings enough to the team offensively to make me think twice about dumping both of them for the kids. My ideal infield eight months from now is Mayo 3B, Henderson SS, Holliday 2B, and Mountcastle 1B, with either Ortiz or Westburg getting a start or two a week as back-ups. If any one (or even two) of those guys goes down with an injury we have a good player ready to step in w/o missing a beat.

I really believe that given 500 ABs Mayo will lead the Orioles in HR this coming season, Great Wall or no. 

7 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Personally, I'm ready to have a reaping!  Gunnar, Adley, Cedric, Grayson, Bradish, and... whoever isn't selected as tribute for the games!  Plenty of 'volunteers' to choose from.  May the odds ever be in Elias' favor of choosing wisely!

But ultimately, @Frobby is right in that we don't "have" to do anything.  Mr. 40-man isn't breathing down our neck at the moment.  We can "trust the plan". 

I don't think enough of the options ahead of him are moved for Mayo to make the OD currently.  Bump this thread if/when 3 to 4 of our current 26-man roster is traded, DFA'd, or released.  

It depends on your definition of “have to”.

They don’t literally have to make room for him to start the season. They have other capable players they can play there and do the service time thing with Mayo.

The problem is, you don’t  really want to bring up all these rookies at once and they are all either ready or likely will be ready very soon.

None of the vets on the team are so good that you can’t afford to trade them. They all have their pros and cons and reasons for keeping or trading them but none of them are detrimental to the teams success that if you trade them, we are in trouble.

Not to mention, the young players coming behind them are just more talented and have higher ceilings, albeit they probably have lower floors in terms of what each can do in 2024.

Imo, the best case scenario is you trade one of Mountcastle or Santander and one of Ortiz or Westburg. You still have some vets/young players that can play those positions but it allows you the space needed to bring up the young guys immediately and/or soon enough.

The only “excess” left over would be Urias and Mateo but that will get figured out on its own as soon as Holliday is ready. So, they do “have to” make room in some way over the next 6 months or so and if you wait, you likely face the idea of getting less for these guys than you can now and since they aren’t detrimental, must keep guys, trading them for optimal value, making your ML team better at areas of need and setting up your team for your best prospects to be up asap is the best way to go.

Edited by Sports Guy

I’d trade Mountcastle, Westburg, and Mateo.  Santander can play 1b and can bat RH replacing Mountcastles role at 1B with Kjerstad filling in at RF.  Westburg has big value and will net a good return while Mayo & Holliday take over his 2b/3b duties.  Ortiz can take the vacated reps from Mateo & Westburg (until Holliday & Mayo are ready). Urias becomes the bet super utility.  

Edited by emmett16

The way the market has played out, I see us waiting until end of May. Everyone looks at the negative part of this but there are some positives. Continue to work on position flexibility, I’d like to see more of him in right field more. They can schedule off days and DH days due to it being a long season. I would rather give Ortiz the chance at utility role because I believe he is fully developed.

8 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Who needs to be moved if Mayo is a 3B?   No one.