What about Mayo?

RZNJ

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

I do think there's perhaps a 10-20% chance something like the Tanner Scott trade happens in the next 10 days.

If Ryan Mountcastle didn't now live with Adley Rutschman, I'd wonder if he had the perfect combination of actual trade value and not being a Mike Elias handpicked guy.

Preller's hustling to save his job and still has a bunch of holes on his roster, particularly in the position player group.

I think Ryan could be renting the basement of Adley's house and it wouldn't make Elias less likely to trade him.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Does anyone think that Orioles front office has been taken a bit by surprise by exactly how good these kids are performing this Spring? Hyde said they are at the point of discussing "several scenarios" whatever that means.

7 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

I think they were hopeful that a couple of them would show something, but not this many. I don't think they're surprised though.

That was probably the wrong word. I know they knew they had a lot of talented kids. As you said, I don't know that they expected they would all blossom at the same time. It will be interesting to see what scenario they go with to start. 

I think the one they wanted to have a great spring is having a brutal spring.   Heston Kjerstad, apparently slimmed down to be quicker in the outfield and lost his hitting mojo along with the weight.   Most folks were and probably are still certain that Kjerstad is a better offensive player than Stowers and Cowser but he sure hasn't shown it this spring.

46 minutes ago, Bird Lady said:

Does anyone think that Orioles front office has been taken a bit by surprise by exactly how good these kids are performing this Spring? Hyde said they are at the point of discussing "several scenarios" whatever that means.

Kind of what you are saying here but I would ask it differently.

If the FO knew that all of these guys would look this good in camp, would they have kept all of the vets?

It’s not as much about the stats in ST. As we have discussed, you can only take so much from them.

That said, these guys are all proven MiL talents. They are all ready in terms of that and they have come in ready, looking like they belong in the majors.

Had they known all of that, I think they would have been more motivated to trade guys.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Bird Lady said:

The FO isn’t surprised. That’s why we didn’t see them just get Willy Nilly traded in deals for SP. 

FWIW, Mayo’s double today was similar to yesterday’s. I saw both of them in person.

Not a hard hit ball at all. By this point in the game (bottom 8th) the Braves had already pulled all starters from what was an already lackluster starting lineup (they featured a split squad also). A quality ML caliber LFer probably makes the catch - same with yesterday’s ball that was hit to shallow right center.  Credit to Mayo for hustling and turning them both into doubles. 

4 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

FWIW, Mayo’s double today was similar to yesterday’s. I saw both of them in person.

Not a hard hit ball at all. By this point in the game (bottom 8th) the Braves had already pulled all starters from what was an already lackluster starting lineup (they featured a split squad also). A quality ML caliber LFer probably makes the catch - same with yesterday’s ball that was hit to shallow right center.  Credit to Mayo for hustling and turning them both into doubles. 

Exactly. Nothing changes timeline wise for Mayo. The Cowser/Stowers battle is way more interesting to me. I see both coming up and down or both breaking camp and platooning behind hays and Santander. Both hays and Santander are in contract years and probably won’t be on the club next year. So I see some trades coming at the deadline to really give Cowser and Stowers major minutes both both have to show it against major league pitching first. Again, this is the spring, but they are doing well so far.

• Upvote 1

Stuff happens, but for Mayo to get ABs this years means that there has to be injuries to two of Gunnar/Westburg/Holliday or injuries to both Mountcastle/O’Hearn. 

But… who knows what these guys are about to do down in AAA. Stowers, Mayo, Norby, Errol Robinson🤣