What about Mayo?

RZNJ

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I would hope Mayo has been working on first base defense this offseason. His future with the Os is not at third imo although I suspect he will see some time there on occasion.

Agreed, Mountcastle is becoming more redundant by the day. Same can be said for Urias and Mateo, Depends on any trades that happen before OD. Also this administration likes to go slow with its prospects. Mayo in a 1B/ Platoon with Ohearn and Santander makes a lot of sense Ohearn and Santa can play outfield Mounty cant, He be the 1st vet I would be looking to move, probably has more value than Urias or Mateo

9 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

I think people are missing the left handed vet infielder that we have yet to sign. Right now the only guaranteed roster spot of a lefty is Gunnar, you know we can't have that 😛.....

They do love their LH bats, but to do that you really have to start moving on from some of the other IF vets (Urias, Mateo) also they do have Ohearn to take 1B reps

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m kind of happy to have a team where, if the starting shortstop gets injured, you don’t have to turn to Brandon Fahey.  

Everybody likes to say that having more guys than you have spots to play is a good problem to have, but there's definitely a tipping point where you aren't building depth, you're just wasting assets. Not to mention the human element of depriving guys a chance to get started on their careers. If I'm Joey Ortiz, I desperately want to get traded at this point, rather than spend my 26th birthday in Norfolk because Elias can't let go of Jorge Mateo. 

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, deward said:

Everybody likes to say that having more guys than you have spots to play is a good problem to have, but there's definitely a tipping point where you aren't building depth, you're just wasting assets. Not to mention the human element of depriving guys a chance to get started on their careers. If I'm Joey Ortiz, I desperately want to get traded at this point, rather than spend my 26th birthday in Norfolk because Elias can't let go of Jorge Mateo. 

Are you talking about Jorge Mateo the second best performer on our playoff roster? I understand small sample. Mateo has more a ton of value as a player vs LHP and pinch runner. Elias has said basically he’s not here to cater to players. They are under contract with Baltimore Orioles, the best developmental and advance scouting organization. He could have been drafted by the White Sox and fizzled out in double A.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Are you talking about Jorge Mateo the second best performer on our playoff roster? I understand small sample. Mateo has more a ton of value as a player vs LHP and pinch runner. Elias has said basically he’s not here to cater to players. They are under contract with Baltimore Orioles, the best developmental and advance scouting organization. He could have been drafted by the White Sox and fizzled out in double A.

Do you?

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Agreed, Mountcastle is becoming more redundant by the day. Same can be said for Urias and Mateo, Depends on any trades that happen before OD. Also this administration likes to go slow with its prospects. Mayo in a 1B/ Platoon with Ohearn and Santander makes a lot of sense Ohearn and Santa can play outfield Mounty cant, He be the 1st vet I would be looking to move, probably has more value than Urias or Mateo

How is Mountcastle redundant?  He had an .893 OPS after his bout with Vertigo last year. If they did a 2nd half MVP, he’d be in the top 5 in the AL. 

• Haha 2

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

How is Mountcastle redundant?  He had an .893 OPS after his bout with Vertigo last year. If they did a 2nd half MVP, he’d be in the top 5 in the AL. 

He's an OH whipping boy because he doesn't walk enough and has cold streaks and talked back to Buck that one time and have you seen that goofy smile of his?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's an OH whipping boy because he doesn't walk enough and has cold streaks and talked back to Buck that one time and have you seen that goofy smile of his?

I don't remember the Buck thing, and can't imagine golden retriever Mountcastle being aggro towards anyone. That's kind of funny. 

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't remember the Buck thing, and can't imagine golden retriever Mountcastle being aggro towards anyone. That's kind of funny. 

The story goes that Buck, when Mountcastle was still in the minors, told him he had to walk more and Mountcastle basically blew him off.

I have no idea if he ever tried telling Jones and Schoop that.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I'm talking Jorge Mateo who had an OPS of .472 from the beginning of May last year. The point is more about Ortiz, or any other prospect - if you've proven all you can prove in AAA, then all you're doing is watching the clock tick. You don't get an extension on the back end of your career because they delayed the start, that time is just gone. I don't think keeping that in mind is "catering" to the players. It's just treating them like people. However, if you can't bring yourself to care about that, then I'll redirect you to the wasted assets part of the equation. 

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you?

Sure but I have always been a defender of Mateo because he’s a player with very high potential at times. I was also a person saying he should start every game vs LHP in postseason. He should spend the offseason practicing center field and left field. He could be add value vs LHP at those positions compared to Hays and Mullins. Postseason success means a lot to me personally. That’s the difference between Brooks Robinson and Alex Rodriguez. Not saying Mateo is more than a platoon player.