What about Mayo?

RZNJ

1 minute ago, CP0861 said:

His approach and the results were very noticeable when he came back up. It was what I had been hoping to see all along. The ability and potential has been there.

I don't know if it was the vertigo, or the reality check of realizing he was replaceable, or a combination of both. Hopefully, he carries that in 2024.

I think his performance and losing time to O’Hearn was, HOPEFULLY, a wake-up call.  It seemed like it.  

10 minutes ago, wse120372 said:

I cant see where Elias is happy with the production at 1st base..... First baseman (over 350 PA) who had WRC+ more than Mountcastle and O'Hearn include guys like Brandon Belt, Wilmer Flores, Luke Raley, Triston Casas, Ryan Noda, Lamonte Wade Jr, and Christian Walker. 

O'Hearn and Mountcastle only saving grace is that they are still cheap. 

Very true. Those 2 together were decent. However, they have a traffic jam with young position players and Mountcastle is about to become less cheap. Time to poop or get off the pot.

Edited by CP0861

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I would hope Mayo has been working on first base defense this offseason. His future with the Os is not at third imo although I suspect he will see some time there on occasion.

Agree …. My choice would be Mayo 1B, Gunnar 3B, Ortiz SS, and Westburg 2B. Then bring up Holiday to play 2B and sell high on Westburg. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He has no value.

You have multiple first base options beyond 2024.

That does not mean that Elias wants O'Hearn to walk for nothing in return.  No trade value?   Or not a lot of trade value.   I think the latter.   A minor league pitching prospect.

Edited by wildcard

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That does not mean that Elias wants O'Hearn to walk for nothing in return.  No trade value?   Or not a lot of trade value.   I think the latter.   A minor league pitching prospect.

He has no value now.

Maybe if he has a good 2024, he will have value…but he’s more likely to get DFA’ed than that.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You could easily just put him at third base right now. 

And then your team has 4 RH IF in Mayo, Westburg, Urias, and Mateo? They have to move somebody first. None of these guys are currently DFA'able. 

Edited by interloper
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, CP0861 said:

Based on what? More AAA ab's?

Yeah,  basically.   Mayo has shown all he needs against AAA competition.  Holiday hasn't yet.   I believe that if both were given MLB at bats today that Mayo would out perform Holiday at least for the first couple of months.   Long term I think Holiday will be a better mlb hitter,  but Mayo is more ready today IMO.  Speaking bat only,  not fielding of course. 

6 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Yeah,  basically.   Mayo has shown all he needs against AAA competition.  Holiday hasn't yet.   I believe that if both were given MLB at bats today that Mayo would out perform Holiday at least for the first couple of months.   Long term I think Holiday will be a better mlb hitter,  but Mayo is more ready today IMO.  Speaking bat only,  not fielding of course. 

Fielding matters.