A Positional Trade Candidate Overview

Greg Pappas

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You’re getting way ahead of yourself.   Westburg and Henderson are starters on OD.   One of Ortiz/Mayo/Holliday is the other starter.   Two of that trio are in Norfolk.   Urias is on the bench.  Norby is traded or in Norfolk.  

If we have a viable trade offer for Urias, we should not be keeping him just to be a placeholder on the bench on opening day. We have plenty of guys who can do that right now. Plus Mateo even. 

1 hour ago, oriole said:

The first player I thought of when I saw that was Mateo. Obviously not getting much back for him, but even just getting him off the roster is a plus at this point. Not sure why or how he didn’t get non-tendered.

Paul DeJong is currently the starting SS for the WS and signed for 1.75M.   Mateo was better last year and a lot better in 2022.  He isn’t worthless.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

If we have a viable trade offer for Urias, we should not be keeping him just to be a placeholder on the bench on opening day. We have plenty of guys who can do that right now. Plus Mateo even. 

Westburg starts.  Ortiz can play multiple IF positions (I’m not including 1B).  Norby can’t.  Mayo can’t.   Urias makes sense as a bench player unless you want to use Ortiz that way.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Westburg starts.  Ortiz can play multiple IF positions (I’m not including 1B).  Norby can’t.  Mayo can’t.   Urias makes sense as a bench player unless you want to use Ortiz that way.

Makes so much sense as a bench player, except for the fact that he isn't really good at anything:

image.thumb.png.8d94af2c07d180d7999989f8be9a67ba.png

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Westburg, Ortiz, and Gunnar all have enough flexibility that Urias isn't essential. Sure, Urias still may have some value to the team. It's not zero. But he is more redundant than anyone else I can think of so for that reason he would be my choice as most likely to be traded. As I said, though, that doesn't mean I think it will actually happen.

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think he’s the best defensive SS on the team. Gunnar should be at 3B

I agree that Ortiz may be the better defender and would love that alignment, but I just don't see the O's moving Gunnar after he performed so well at SS.  If they were open to it, I would have thought they'd have done that last year.  Still, Ortiz could win the 2B job.

54 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Paul DeJong is currently the starting SS for the WS and signed for 1.75M.   Mateo was better last year and a lot better in 2022.  He isn’t worthless.

I think the Orioles are a better team without him and I don’t think that any team would give up a player that has a reasonable shot at making it to MLB. Go look at SF top 30, all of those guys are too good to trade for Mateo.

Mateo can be a good pinch runner and defensive sub but after watching him with the mental miscues late in the season last year, I don’t know if he has what it takes to thrive in a part time role. I’d rather Ortiz be the utility infielder.

I’m not sure Ortiz has more range than Henderson at SS and we know Henderson has the better arm.  Ortiz has amazing hands, quickness, and body control.  I don’t think it’s a slam dunk that Ortiz is the better SS but I’ve never seen Ortiz play SS over an extended time.

8 minutes ago, oriole said:

I think the Orioles are a better team without him and I don’t think that any team would give up a player that has a reasonable shot at making it to MLB. Go look at SF top 30, all of those guys are too good to trade for Mateo.

Mateo can be a good pinch runner and defensive sub but after watching him with the mental miscues late in the season last year, I don’t know if he has what it takes to thrive in a part time role. I’d rather Ortiz be the utility infielder.

I find the comment about SF top 30 quite funny.  Are you an expert on that group?

Plus, I never suggested that SF would be interested in Mateo.

Edited by RZNJ

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I find the comment about SF top 30 quite funny.  Are you an expert on that group?

Plus, I never suggested that SF would be interested in Mateo.

Yea, that was me that made the Mateo/SF connection based on the MLBTR post about SF looking for a SS. It’s just an example, I don’t think Mateo has trade value. I would be interested in trading Mateo just so he is off the team. 

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

You’re getting way ahead of yourself.   Westburg and Henderson are starters on OD.   One of Ortiz/Mayo/Holliday is the other starter.   Two of that trio are in Norfolk.   Urias is on the bench.  Norby is traded or in Norfolk.  

Imo, your getting way ahead of yourself as well. Not for a second do I believe that Ortiz/Mayo/Holliday, start over Mateo/Urias. Unless, they are dealt. They have no options and Holliday/Mayo are going down, regardless. Until one of Mateo/Urias are dealt, Ortiz, is going down too. Ortiz could have stayed up for one of them last year. 

I hope Ortiz gets a shot, I really do. But we have not seen anything to make me believe your right.

Edited by E-D-D-I-E